iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Salmon Cherry

Started by Gunny, September 21, 2005, 07:18:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gunny

I've been away from the big-time action since having sold the tree farm some years ago but just picked up a nice load of 4/4 Cherry which is deep red, both sides.  Nice sturdy lumber, most of which is 6"-8" in width.  Got some smaller stuff which is more the lighter shade I'm more familiar with.  Is the "salmon" shaded lumber more sought after these days? I'll be getting it into the kiln next week for a nice, slow dry.

Feels REAL GOOD to be back in the saddle--even though at my age I expect to fall off the horse more than a few times before getting my balance again.  And another landing or three on my noggin shouldn't do any damge at all!

SwampDonkey

Gunny, I thought the heart of cherry was usually salmon pink when fresh sawn or plained. The only thing I find disappointing is it goes brown when you apply a finish to it or it will oxidize to a brown with age.  :'(

Sometimes we find pink heart in old growth yellow birch. I'm talking trees that no longer have bark which strips off with the golden color, it becomes plate-like.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Gunny

SD:

I'd've thought it to be heartwood too but it's all the same deep pink and it's "log-run" so...(?)  Can't wait to dry and plane some of it to see what happens.  Thanks much.

BTW:  I ran a small batch like this off my mill before we sold the farm and it's as bright pink today (7 years later) as it was the day I first stickered it.  (It's air-dried and reads 10.9% with the MC meter.)

Still wondering if it might be a "niche" market?

Also: My mom's family is from the Moncton, NB and Havre Bouche, NS region.  The Smith and LeVandier clans.  Been looking at some farms up that way (Moncton).  Lots of Acadian blood in this heart!

Furby

Actually, it stays pinkish longer if it gets no sunlight.
The sunlight changes it fast!

SwampDonkey

Mine was pink 12 years ago, it's brown now though. No sun, but lotsa dust. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!