iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LUCAS FOR SALE - BC

Started by inveresk, September 20, 2005, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inveresk

I'm hoping someone can put me in touch with a sawyer in BC. On the www.sawmillexchange.com site there's a Lucas swing blade mill for sale. I've been in touch with sawmillexchange by phone (had to leave a message) and by email (no reply) but as they're adopting a baby, their service is unavailable for a month. I'm not trying to do them out of a commission - I just can't wait until they return on 6 October so am hoping someone can provide contact details. Otherwise I'll have to go new and I'd rather have a good used mill and this Lucas would seem to fit the bill.

If the owners of sawmillexchange happen to see this posting, good luck with the new baby. I hope you can find time out between nappy changes to give me a contact number.

DonE911

If you were to order a new one this week.... would the shipping get it to you before the 6th?  If it gets there before the 6th will the extra money spent for new outweight the waiting the few extra days for the exchange to get back?

I'm sorry that I don't have the contact info for ya.

inveresk

You might be right but the risk I run is waiting until the 6 October then finding out the used Lucas isn't suitable for one reason or another. Ordering a new one at that stage would put me way back.

I had an email from Brian of sawmillexchange. com today. He's in China completing the adoption of his daughter and won't be able to provide contact details until after 6 October. I've decided to wait until then and hope the Lucas mill is what I need and that it is somewhere fairly close to where I'm located.

DonE911

May be a justified risk on your part.

Congrat's to Brian and family on the new addition.  8) 8) 8)

Fla._Deadheader

Why not everyone here go over to the Sawmill Exchange and give a congrats to Brian and wife. They run a good site and maybe they will join up with us.

I'm headed there rat now  ;) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DonE911

Good idea!!!

Hope they don't mind a few thousand emails..... 

Coon

inveresk.   What part of B.C. are you from.  I do travel out there on occaisionally to visit relations of mine.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

inveresk

Coon, I'm on Saltspring island, largest of the gulf islands. Climate is better than the mainland, with a good deal less rain and more sun. I moved from the mainland (Lions Bay) this July. So far so good.

Met the building inspector today about my plans for the property. We'll start felling a week monday and hopefully have the barn up before the winter is half way through. I'll try to complete the design in the nest couple weeks and lodge the application for the building permit.

inveresk

Brian of sawmill exchange is back from China with his new daughter and rang me today about the Lucas on their web site. He said that 2000 hours is a lot for a Lucas and to check it over carefully to see what might be worn. On the plus side, the price is good and the mill is only a spit and a stride away in Maple Ridge.

I hope to go see it tomorrow but I don't really know what to look for. Aside from checking the blades, the guides, the swivel action, having a look at the engine, asking for sight of receipts for repairs/overhaul, is there anything I should be particularly wary of? Also, how easy/expensive is it to overhaul these mills - I take it with a 2001 model 825, spare parts shouldn't be a problem?

I'd appreciate any hints that might help.

George

DonE911

I don't know anything about the lucas, but I'd say look at every piece you can that moves across another part for wear.... I know that kinda general, but you can watch it operate and start thinking about things to check.  Check the oil and the gear lube in the trani. If the price reflects the number of hours it may be a good deal.

I have used alot of small engines on lawn mowers and such.... being from florida the mowers work all year....  I always started to save for a replacement engine after 1000 hours. Actually my grandfather beat that into my head....  some went much longer and lasted as long as the mower and others the mower saw 3 engines before it was done.  With really good maint. the things will go a long ways. With not so much care they wont go as long.....  now this is all briggs engines.... only had a few honda's and they were running when the thing got sold....  Kohlers were about the same, but I've done some repair work on them.... nothing major, but things that kept it from running.  I'm already saving up for a replacement for my 24 honda...  may not need it, but it'll be there when the time comes.

Someone should be along with more specific things to check.

Jeff

inveresk, I sent a note to Sam at Bailey's, Hopefully he will jump in and give you an opinion on the hours and such in relation to wear. They will know better then anyone. :) Mebbe he can even guide you to a new one. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

BEAVERBOY

Inveresk,
I don't think the hours are the biggest concern with making your decision on buying or not buying with regards to the mill. I have talked to the Lucas's and they have seen engines last around 6,500 hours so hours can be a hard way to judge the machine. I would ask him questions about maintenance. The first question I would ask is what type of mainetance he has done on the mill. If he only talks about the engine then he probably has not read the lucas manual. Stay away from asking specific questions about the maintenance such as "how often do you change your gear box oil?, or do you grease the lower bearing daily?" Make him tell you what he has done or else you may get burned. I have talked to a lot of owners on older machines and by simply asking them to explain what they have done maintenance wise, I can tell real quickly what type of shape the mill is in.  A lot of people that own the older 8 inch mill with the 20hp briggs have not changed their gear box oil and as a result have had to spend 800.00 to get a new. The manual goes over the maintenance and there is not much to do but if it is not done, then the mill is a lot more likely to brake. Hopefully the seller is not reading this email but here are a few answers to the mainetanace questions.
1. Make sure that he has changed his gear box oil after the first 100 hours, we even recommend doing it after the first 50 hours. Make sure he is using a Dexron III and that after the first change, he changes it once a year.
2. There is a bearing on the older machines that must be greased immediately at the end of the use each day especially if he is running it for a full day. 2 or 3 slow pumps with a grease gun should do good. If it is not done, the bearing will wear do to moisture entering that area.
There are other maintenance issues with the gas strut, V belts and Engine. I would also have him run the mill through a log and see how it is cutting. Check to see if the engine is running at 3600 RPM's. Should be a tach meter on the mill. Check out the accuracy as well. He may have adjusted mill settings. If you have further questions please contact me at 800-322-4539 ext 237. I believe I talked to you last week but could have been somebody else looking at the same mill.
Sam

Jeff

Now thats what I'm talkin about! 8)  Thanks for the post Sam!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Murf

It's nice to see a company put that kind of time and effort into helping a purchaser who's not even buying anything from them at the moment.

I guess that kinda says something about those folks at Bailey's, I know where to look next time I need stuff.   ;)

If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

inveresk

I just got back from the mainland where I put two calls through to the number that Brian of sawmillexchange gave me. I could only get an ansaphone and so far no call back. Jeff, thanks for getting in touch with Sam. Sam, that information should help me a great deal in assessing whether I should go ahead with the purchase, always assuming I can see the darn thing one of these days. Thanks, too, to everyone else for their helpful postings. I'll let you know how this unfolds . . .

George

inveresk

That Lucas has been sold to a Californian buyer. I've asked Sam to give me a price on some new kit. I don't know whether it's viable for the current project I'm involved wtih but I'll go through the hoops and try to make it work. I have a couple options on bandsaws as well but, having reviewed the pros and cons of each (albeit seen none of them working yet) the swing mill is favourite.

Thank You Sponsors!