iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Boring machine depth stops

Started by Jim_Rogers, September 19, 2005, 04:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

To All:
Recently my partner in the timber framing tool business and I looked into getting some depth stops made for our boring machines.
In order to get a good price per unit we'd need to order 20 or so.
The depth stops we have in mind would be for a Millers Falls boring machine, and a Boss boring machine.
We have samples of the originals on hand for the machine shop man to use to make copies.

I'm asking if any one would be interested in purchasing a depth stop for their Millers Falls or Boss boring machine?

Also, we are considering designing and making up a universal depth stop that would fit any Snell or Swan machine.

Would any one be interested in purchasing a depth stop for their Snell or Swan machine?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

beetle

Too many hobbies...not enough time.

Raphael

I'd be interested in two Boss depth stops.
What sort of price are we looking at?
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Jim_Rogers

The estimated prices would be under $20 each including the shipping, depending on how many we actually order.

Jim Rogers

Raphael

In addition to the 2 Boss depth stops I think you can count on me for one Millers Falls as well.

I seem to have a slight over bore problem in oak and hickory that I don't see in pine or maple.  I'm thinking an extra stop on the second leg might minimize this, next mortice I'll add a C clamp and see if it helps.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

gaidagirl

I just acquired a boring machine, but I don't know what type it is.  It has a wooden frame, and no markings.  However, I certainly could use a depth stop.  What does one look like and where on the machine does it go anyways?  Excuse my ignorance....I'm new at this stuff!

Mortice

Jim, count me in for another one for my Millers Falls.

On a side note, thanks for pointing me in Toms direction for the MF parts... He ended up not having the piece i need to replace but he has been very helpfull getting my bits ready to go. 8) A truely great experence.

Anyone know someone who repairs gears? My return gear has a few teeth missing... >:(

kfhines

For a boring machine like the Millers Falls couldn't you use a split or two piece shaft collar like these?

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: gaidagirl on March 25, 2009, 05:06:06 PM
I just acquired a boring machine, but I don't know what type it is.  It has a wooden frame, and no markings.  However, I certainly could use a depth stop.  What does one look like and where on the machine does it go anyways?  Excuse my ignorance....I'm new at this stuff!

If you can post a picture, I should be able to tell you the brand name.

Also, I never finished inventing a depth stop for a wooden frame machine, but this may push me to finish it.

For a wooden frame machine, until my depth stops are finished, just use a block of wood.

I'll have to create a set of photos to show you how to create your own depth stop.

As far as Millers Falls machines go the above shown rings could/would work great.

And welcome to the forum gaidagirl.....

JanPaul

Jim, count me in for a Swan.

Jan-Paul

gaidagirl

Here's some photos attached of my boring machine? Any idea what kind it is?

moonhill

gaidagirl, I have a machine like yours, it is a Snell.  I changed the frame over to an angle iron one, I think it is 3/4" or 1/2" stock, and a new seat.  The old wooden frame would not have stood up to the use I have put it through.  A new wooden one should have, I found it easier to fab it from metal.  I use a small set of Vise Grips as the depth stop.  I made up a stop for the Boss I purchased from Jim.

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

gaidagirl

Thanks!  And thanks for the idea....if my wooden frame falls apart, I'll get my son who's a welder to make me a metal one!

Brian_Weekley

I just happened to make a depth stop for my Snell type boring machine yesterday.  Filed down a small aluminum block to fit behind the track and held in place with a screw.  However, I just came across this old thread today.  Jim, did you ever end up making any depth stops for Snells?

Sure wish I had a nicer Millers Falls or Boss machine though!
e aho laula

Jim_Rogers

No, I never made up a depth stop for any wooden tower machine.
However, I have seen another style recently.

I do like the one you've made.

Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

For many years I've wanted an easy to use depth stop for my Swan boring machine. Recently a fellow timber framer, Brian Weekley showed me a picture of the one he made for himself.
I ran with his idea, and created this easy to use dept stop for Swan and Snell boring machine. It maybe able to be used on other track boring machines as well.

Here it is on my machine:

and, here is a close up of it on my machine:

I have tested this with my own Swan boring machine and it works very well.

To get one for yourself, see my ad in the for sale section of this forum.

Here is a link to my offer: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,57103.0.html

Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

We try to send out an eNewsletter every month with one "featured tool" for sale or some other information about tools.

This month's issue featured this new BW depth stop.

I have sold two to Jack Sobon to use on his machines.

If you'd like to get our eNewsletter send me an email with "eNewsletter" in the subject line and I'll add you to our list.

Thanks

Jim Rogers

"Proudly using a Vintage Tool"

Thank You Sponsors!