iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where are the western loggers?

Started by GlennCz, September 19, 2005, 12:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlennCz

I've been on this forum for the past 6 weeks trying to learn about logging while I manage a logger on my property.  Just curious why I don't see messages or posters from the West coast?  I mean, I don't think I have hardly seen even one discussion or topic about those big western softwoods.  Why is that?

Paul_H

Welcome Glenn.

We are here and if you do a search on highlead logging you should find some pics both old and new.
Try a search also for "grapple yarder" or cable logging,skyline etc.

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Frank_Pender

Glenn, I am keeping all of my logging methods a secret.  ;D

By the way, where is you property located in the West?
Frank Pender

Jeff

You can even peruse Paul's Defunct website. He doesnt need it since he sold the company but I keep it up cause I like to look at it. :)

http://www.halraylog.com/

Total Topics: 13540      Total Posts: 197487
You aint looked quite through everything.  ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

caryr

We're here Glenn, but like Frank said we don't share our secrets with just anyone ;D. But seriously, if you have a specific question ask away.

Cary

GlennCz

just curious.  I live in Pennsylvania(near Scranton) and I was out looking at your big sticks just a few weeks ago.  I am doing a small logging operation(35 loads total) on 65 acres of timber that I live on.  So I have been doing alot of reading about forestry in general and particularly old growth forests.  (i have always loved being in the woods).  Interesting part of "americana" how we have managed these timber resources.  So three weeks ago I flew out to Arcata and visited the redwood forests of Humboldt County for a few days, so i could see the big trees for myself. 

Obviously, this is a good good board and I do wonder why not more westerners, cause I know for sure you guys like to cut down trees.  My theory?, IS it possible that in the East we have more private landowners, like myself, who stumbled into some land and end up owning timber they have to manage.  Whereas in the West, most of the timber is in the hands of big corporations or government, so there are not that many private landowners looking for advice.

Frank_Pender

Frank Pender

Gilman

Here's a map of WA forest lands.
http://www.forestsandfish.com/forestlandmap.php?cPage=Home

Simple math: Federal + State + Indian + the big boys = most of it
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Frank_Pender

Approximately 51% of timbered lands in in the hands of private ownership in Oregon.  Of that %  there is an amount of about 20,000 acres a year leaving to the big boys for ownership from the small woodlands owners. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( >:(
Frank Pender

beenthere

Quote from: Frank_Pender on September 21, 2005, 06:11:55 PM
....... 20,000 acres a year leaving to the big boys for ownership from the small woodlands owners. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( >:(

I'd appreciate an interpretation of that last sentence.  :)

Are 20,000 acres going to (leaving to) the corporations (big boys) for ownership, being sold by (from) the small woodlands owners?

or
Are 20,000 acres being sold by (leaving) the corporations (big boys) for the new ownership of (from) the small woodlands owners? 

Are more acres being owned by corporations per year, or are more acres being owned by small woodland owners each year? 
I suspect the latter, but don't know.  Are you sad/mad that there are fewer acres in corporate land? 

:)I know, I need help  :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Frank_Pender

The lands are going to the big boys and leaving the little boys and girls.  Much of this happens because of inheritance issues, namely taxes and not affordable do to high death taxes.  So, the children or those inheritating the forested lands are forced to sell as they cannot afford high tax rates, that are involved.   It is a crying shame that this happens.    The state tax folks just grin at such happenings as the get the dollars for the state coffers and the little folk get the .... .
Frank Pender

Gilman

I don't understand why more families don't get incorporated or establish trusts. 

How many people have been through, or know of estates being liquidated without a will?  Ugh, what a mess
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Thank You Sponsors!