iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oak Wilt trees for Lumber?

Started by musher, September 18, 2005, 10:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

musher

I've got about 20 trees in my back woods that need to come down due to death by oak wilt this past year.  A few of them are quite sizeable -- 2.5' - 3' DBH.  Is there any chance anyone would be interested in these trees for saw logs?  Would there be any chance they would want to take the trees down themselves?  If yes, how would I go about finding such a person?

Or am I just going to end up adding them to the the firewood racks?  I'd like to put them to the best possible use.
Mike

Gunny

Your best bet might ("might" being the key word here) be to get them on the ground yourself--thinking there'll be more than enough leftovers for your firewood needs--and buck them to whatever lengths are most standard that way (100" is about the most common here in mid-MI).  Then, find yourself someone in the area--an email to WoodMizer will get you a contact list of a bucnh of WM owners in your region--to come saw them into lumber right at your place (if you can stage them all w/o getting mud, sand, etc. all over them).  Then, sticker that lumber as it comes off the saw, put a tin or tarp "roof" on the stack(s), and offer it for sale that way.  Sure beats giving it away (as a private woodlot owner I consider it all part of my annual "harvest").  Judging from the size of those trees, you should easily get 1000s of BF from them with a bandsaw mill.  Just one way to deal with the opportunity.

BTW:  From your handle, I take it you ride along behind dogs, too?  We have a small, recreational  kennel with a pair of yearling Alaskans and a pair of Seppala Sibes.  Almost cool enough for the dryland rig romps again.  Sing for early and deep and lasting snow!

musher

Thanks for the advice.  I might try to borrow the father-in-law's bobcat, or maybe get one of those log arches to handle them, if they look to be any good once I get them down.

We also have a rec team of six.  Three alaskans and three rescue sibes.  After the past few years, I hope we're due for that early, deep and lasting snow.  We haven't had much lately here in central MN.  I suspect we will, since I'll be busy logging and won't have any time for mushing! 
Mike

Thank You Sponsors!