iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A very nice afternoon

Started by Jeff, September 17, 2005, 10:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Tammy and Stacy and I went for a ride this afternoon to houghton lake, we decided to try and "two track" on the west side of us 127 and see if we could get all the way home that way. As it turned out, we couldnt.  :D   We did however see a lot of wildlife and took a few pictures which I will share later, but right now I want to tell you all, and really, especially Tom, and I wish you was here buddy, about the apple I am eating. We found this tree way back in the boonies. Small apples, but MAN OH MAN. They are WONDERFUL!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Oh wow!   My eyes are tearing.  My teeth are getting sharp.  I love'em.

Jeff

We came across several state logging jobs on this trek. We were back in the trails for over 3 hours before ending back where we started. :o  Here is what you get in just one year after an aspen clear cut. It doesn't take long! Wildlife heaven and a new forest erupting. Some of the aspen were already 8 and 9 foot tall and many had leaves on them 6 inches across.  I just love to see a new aspen forest

Jeff

This may give you a better idea of the tree size already.

Furby

DanG it! Forgot to grab a couple apples off the tree at the auction, the folks I talked to said they were really good even though they were small.

Jeff, SAVE THEM SEEDS!!!
Maybe even send me one.  ;) ;D

Jeff

Furby, come up and pick some. that tree is loaded. Here is a hint on how to get started in finding it. Had to take this photo op since we drove about 20 miles on this road after it turned into ruts rocks and sand.

Furby

:D :D :D :D
Don't tempt me!
Did ya need 4x4? ::) ;D

I have a couple seeds here from Hawby's ooooooold pear tree that I got last year. Need to plant them. ::)
Those pears were GOOD as well.
I'm thinking these are old, long forgotten varieties, and need to be saved. ;)

Jeff

One of the sites. This heron was huge.  Never hooked her in 4 wheel drive, but we were down to a crawl a few times around rocks and washouts.

Furby

I like that pic!
Wouldn't make a bad wall hanger.

Paschale

Quote from: Furby on September 17, 2005, 11:30:43 PM
I have a couple seeds here from Hawby's ooooooold pear tree that I got last year. Need to plant them. ::)
Those pears were GOOD as well.
I'm thinking these are old, long forgotten varieties, and need to be saved. ;)

hey Furby, have you ever heard of the Tree-Mendus orchard down in SW Michigan?  I'm heading down there hopefully soon this fall.  Back in 1976, the owner decided he would track down 200 heirloom varieties of apple trees, and plant them, in honor of the bicenntenial--one tree for every year.  He went all over Michigan, getting twigs to graft.  They literally have 200 varieties of apples! 

You can check them out here--it sounds like a cool place to go.

http://www.treemendus-fruit.com/antiqueappleverities.htm

Also, if you're interested in trying to plant some heirloom varieties, there's another Michigan outfit which just sells plants and or the stuff you need to graft heirloom varieties to grow your own.  Both of these websites are pretty interesting reading.   :P

http://www.southmeadowfruitgardens.com/
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Furby

Sounds like fun!
Do they allow sampling ???
I see they offer sample packages. ::)
I kinda like the "rent a tree". :D
Hey Jeff, you and Tammy up to trying to ID the apple ???

SwampDonkey

There's an old apple tree along the roadway beside my woodlot. It was planted beside the old house, which is long gone now. I pick those apples in october after a hard frost and make sauce. They foam and froth as they're cooking in the pot. I add maybe two cups sugar to the 6 quart pot. They aren't usually very wormy. The trees by the house have lost their fruit a month ago. I heard the apple crop yield will be up to 20 % below last year's crop. We had a cold wet spring. Most old abandoned fields here have apple trees everywhere. On the Queen Charlotte Islands I used to find wild crab apple trees in the swamps. I don't know where they came from because it was virgin forest in the middle of no place, 60 miles from the nearest village.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

As John Gulliver said the other night, ' there's gonna be alot of taters coming out of the ground the next 5 days'. ;D  Meaning we are experiencing above normal tempertatures for the next few days, making good potato digging weather.

Tater Raisin' Man by Dick Curless

http://www.tateract.org/music.html
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

I stopped at a fruit stand in the desert area of B.C. a few years ago. He had some peaches that were about the size of a large apricot. I figured they would be like trying to eat a golf ball but they were the sweetest juiciest ones I had ever eaten. By the size, I suspect they were an early non hybridized variety as some of the local orchards were 100 years old.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!