iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Western OR timber frameing

Started by bman, September 17, 2005, 12:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bman

Good morning, first time poster, love the site. I am cutting a timber frame from doug fir that were cut down on my property. Milled with an Alaskan and 3120 husq. Have rough timbers in shop and am about 3/4 done. No one in my neck of the woods even knows what a timber frame is, I feel so alone. I bought plans (walnut creek) from Goshen timber frames and they told me the closest client they had in my area was eastern Washington. Any ways was wondering if anyone else has used doug fir in the same fashion as I. Haven't really experienced any set backs yet and hope to get the thing assemble maybe next month. The rains are beginning to return and my timbers have dried a bit, was a little concerned about getting them wet again.  cut over the last winter and have had em stacked in my shop all summer as I cut the joinery. Was thinking maybe I should fit the bents together in the shop, disassemble, move to slab and reassemble. Just adds a bunch more moving, stacking, restackin etc. If I move from the shop to slab and fit em up there they will invariably get rained on before I get the thing stood up. Opinions on this, and has anyone else put this particular frame up before (Walnut Creek) Thnx bman

ohsoloco

Welcome to the FF bman  :)

If my memory serves me well, walnut creek is a pretty good sized queen post frame.  Is it going to be your home or shop  ???  I've thought about buying a set of Goshen plans before, and was wondering what you think of them. 

When I spent some time at a timber framing outfit, the rough timbers were stacked and stickered outside with some covering on them, but the finished timbers were simply stacked outside on a different pile and subjected to the elements.  Never got to go on a raising, so I don't know how much this affected the fit.  One customer wanted nice bright timbers so they simply sprayed them with a 50/50 mix of bleach and water, worked nice. 

Ernie

Welcome bman

Sounds like a great project you've taken on, we would sure like some pics
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Gilman

Welcome bman,
What part of Western OR are you in? 
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

bman

Thanks for the welcome. I live just outside the state capitol, Salem. My project currently is classified as a equine structure but  later I will apply for permits to convert to a dwelling unit. There is a conventionally framed garage and tack/mud room that will be attached to the timber frame. I think the plans I received from Goshen are pretty good, there are a few discrepancies between plan details and the shop drawings and as such I am waiting to hear back from Goshen's engineer but I think my emails are getting lost in cyber space. The frame is pretty straight forward and from my observations seems to be a tried and proven design as it shows up a lot in some framing books. It is a queen post, about 1700 sq ft with the loft, about 1200 of that on the main floor. If I can/would take the time to figure out how to "pixel this" and "photo shop that" to get the picture size down I will share some pics. Bman

ohsoloco

Sounds like a great project.  I really wanted to do my apprenticeship with Goshen, but they didn't have room for me when I had to use up my vacation  :(    Sounds like the plans are worth the money...I always thought about their smallest one for a cabin or outbuilding.  Have you been doing most of the work with hand or power tools  ???  Keep us posted  :)

bman

Ohso, I use the available power tools that I have whenever I can which is limited to a Milwaukee hole hog and forstner bit and a standard "skill saw, " the rest is done with 1 1/2", 2" chisels, corner chisel, slick, two hand saws and a home made wood mallet. I didn't go the big ticket chisel route but bought a Buck brothers leather capped wood handle job for like 10$ form Baileys logging supply. I really like that chisel if not for being a little short. I also secured the slick and corner chisel from Baileys, they are I'm guessing Chinese knock off stuff cause they were very reasonably priced (IE cheap) but do a good job. I have to make a new handle for the corner chisel as it broke in use, that thing takes a lot of pounding when doing the corners, especially if you gotta go through a knot. Anyways I just keep chipping away at it.
Bman

Thank You Sponsors!