iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where tree huggers never venture

Started by Oregon Engineer, September 15, 2005, 11:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oregon Engineer

A new fish lurks in the waters and it will keep the tree huggers off the trees.

Enter the SawFish

I keep a file on unusual uses for saw chain and bars. The attachement shows more details on a neat invention that looks to be coming of age.

Tom

I found some pictures on Google of this thing and understand it better now.  For some reason, I thought it was the size of a big suitcase.  I came to find that it is about the same size as  a volkswagon. :D   No wonder I couldn't figure it out. :D

rebocardo

Don't worry, someone will find an endangered algae on a tree that pops up and will demand protection for it  ;)

So you don't have to google or yahoo

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn4811

beenthere

I wouldn't say "never" when it comes to tree huggers.  :)
In the States, all kinds of people lay claim to the logs underwater and to doing anything to disturb the 'water' and the lake bottom, especially if someone is making a buck off what's down there.
There might even be some 'huggers' who say that the rights of the fish are going to be 'violated'.  :o

I don't trust em one little bit.  >:(
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Furby

Yup, what they are doing there is removing the vertical habitat for fish.
Very, very bad news for Largemouth Bass fisheries. ;) ;)

Ya won't have to wait for the tree huggers, B.A.S.S. will be all over this!!!! ;D

floyd

Yrs ago , pulled snags out of the N Fork of John Day River. There was a fire & they dropped snags into river trying to halt spread across the river. Dint work.

In any case, we had guy in river cutting 4' bolts. Me & horse on trail with block & aircraft cable.

called ourselves "bare ass logging". guy in the river threw some rooster tails with saw.

4" bolt was all the horse could handle-waterlogged big time.

crtreedude

So, how did I end up here anyway?

asy

THanks for the link Rebocardo!

HOw FAscinating!

What a good idea...  However, It said in the link that they would otherwise achieve the tree lopping by divers with chain saws...  Do chainsaws run underwater???

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Oregon Engineer

Asy
    I've got an article showing the gear needed for underwater logging with a chain saw. They use the chain saw to trim up or cut off pilings that support piers.  The chain saw is hydraulic so it can operate underwater.

Here is a link to the sawfish company.

http://www.tritonlogging.com/engineering.html

SkidrowJoe

Watch out for the spotted aqua owl. :D
The stumps of today are the ceilings of tomorrow.

asy

THat Sawfish is so cool, I"m waiting for it to turn up in a Clive Cussler novel...  :D

ALso, I suspect there's no such thing as an Aqua Owl, methinks I"m being had.

asy :D :D :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Oregon Engineer

So you think we might just trade tree huggers for bass huggers? I kinda thought it would be fun to hook a tree sitter while I'm bass fishing.

Phorester

This might become the standard way to harvest timber from the deep South if those hurry-canes keep coming on shore.

D Martin

I think P.E.T.A will get involved as I am a member -People Eating Tasty Animals now ifi'n its trout you be killin ,gimme the windfall  8)

Oregon Engineer

I wonder what logic was used to justify flooding the valleys before removing the trees.  ::) ::) 

Wood must have been real cheap back when the reserviors were put in.

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

sawguy21

Quote from: Oregon Engineer on September 26, 2005, 10:51:52 AM
I wonder what logic was used to justify flooding the valleys before removing the trees.  ::) ::) 

Wood must have been real cheap back when the reserviors were put in.

Too much of a hurry to get electricity and money flowing. Now the reservoirs can't be used for commerce or recreation because of all the snags and the odd standing tree coming loose and shooting to the surface like a  rocket. There is a lot of salvageable veneer down there.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Furby

???
It can still be used as veneer after being under water all this time ???

sawguy21

That is what we were told. They started a salvage operation in a reservoir in B.C. , barging the logs to a drysort  near the dam. Apparently the logs were still useful as peelers under the first couple of layers because of the lack of oxygen to cause decomposition. I did not hear if the venture was successful.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Oregon Engineer

From what I've read over the past few years the lumber is cut and dried. It is sold at a premium to the consumers of wood who think that living in a house built of wood does not require cutting trees down :D :D. So they want a "green" wood.

If you visit the Triton Logging website link shown in a previous post, and go to the "wood" and "media" catagories, you will see a lot of information on the subject. It talks about selling the wood to Costco in Seattle and Phoenix.

The Triton site will direct you to the Rain Forest Alliance site, cute little frog in the logo,

and look at SmartWood.

BW_Williams

I'm pretty sure they logged the reserviors around here before putting in the dams, at low water you can see the stumps.
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

Thank You Sponsors!