iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

making a dirt path

Started by Scavenger Omega, September 13, 2005, 06:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scavenger Omega

What would be the easiest way to make a dirt path in a forest with medium to thick undergrowth? I know how to make a simple path, just cut everything down. But I want to make a dirt path that will last a few seasons. (or for a while withoutkeeping stuff trimmed back.) I like the idea of packing dirt down, but I can't transport dirt to that part. The trees are scattered, so I'm not worried about them, just the undergrowth. Thanks in advance for the help.

Furby

Scavenger Omega

Um.. what exactly do you mean? I don't get it.

Furby

If you keep using a path, nothing will grow, or growth will be slowed.
Ever see what we call two tracks?
They are a path made by a 4 wheeled vehical and in most cases have two narrow strips of bare dirt with a strip of grass or other plants down the middle.
How about an animal or cattle path, same thing. Constant use keeps them clear. ;)

Now, if you had something else in mind.........I'll shut up!  ;D

Jeff

There are places where old mother nature is very active and trying to keep a path is quite a battle.  Up at the cabin in Michigans Upper Pennisula, where summers are short and winters are long you would think you could keep a path? WRONG!  Ma nature knows she only has a few short weeks to grow stuff so she grows things like CRAZY! There is no way to stop vegitation from growing for any length of time without work, either ongoing, or upfront, or as Furby says, steady use of the path.

We have lost good wide paths inside of two years up there that we have hacked out through the tag alders, where you would never ever know that there used to be one there.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Frickman

Welcome to the forum Scavenger Omega! You've joined up with a great bunch of folks.

About your question, I 'll tell you about the nicest skid trails I've ever used. A local property owner enjoys making and using paths through his woods. He has a designated dump area for local tree care companies to deposit chips. He then uses his tractor to spread these chips all along his walking trails. They give him a nice cushion to walk on, as he has a back that acts up on him. They were like driving on air when I used them this past spring. I stirred the chips around a little, but that just gave him an excuse to add more. This fellow uses free chips to "pave" his walking trails and has one of the nicest trail systems around.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Scavenger Omega

Cool, thanks. I guess I'll just hack it out then keep using it.  ;D

whitepine

Hi From a cattleman with experience in growing grass the kind cows eat. Grass and brush can handle getting  stomped down by grazing or mechanical means about twice a growing season but if you  just do it a little and do it often like once a week it willl kill everything. Think about buffalo on migration when they  crossed an area nothing but dust left but than they stayed off it for summer till their return migration and grass does well, but one cow or human or deer every day or two will soon have a dirt path that will last  a long time. Steady use compacts soil  is part of it. Hope this helps. Tom

SwampDonkey

My woodlot has alot of young growth and my main trail was a winter road. I take the brush saw once in awhile and cut out the suckers (mostly willow) and the moose also keep it open by browsing. I figure once the growth gets tall (20 + feet) I'll just prune back the lower branches but keep an overhead canopy to reduce the undergrowth. Of course there are some shrubs and trees that thrive in shade, but there growth is slowed with an overhead canopy in place. A 4-wheeler used in the dry season can help keep the ground veg. out too. Moose are just slim, long legged bison. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Sawyerfortyish

When I want a new path to somewhere on my farm I just run the dozer where I want the path skuff the the top dirt push out the saplings and in a year or so you can't even see where the dozer did any damage.

Dana

I second the idea of using the dozer. It makes for a good level path and takes a lot less to keep it up.  Dozers come in all sizes if you are looking for small path widths.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

bitternut

I used to brush hog my trails and always ended up with ruts because some areas were wetter than others and would be soft when they needed mowing. This summer I tried my atv sprayer with my home made boom and roundup. It worked fantastic!. No ruts, trails are smooth and no vegetation closing in on the sides. They also dry out fast after a rain. It may not work for your soils but seems to work good in my woods. I will know for sure in a couple more summers.

Kevin

Quotekeep an overhead canopy to reduce the undergrowth

IndyIan

I second bitternuts round up suggestion.  I've done this on some of my trails and it works well.  Just watch out for erosion on hills.  Also highspeed traffic works too, I use my dirtbike ;D 
Ian

crtreedude

Jeff,

You should see the growth we get here after a 4 month dry season. The soil is pretty warm, and then you get a warm rain.

I don't suggest you stand over a seedling...

I have seen trees jump up about a foot in a week at times.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Jeff

I'll have to snap a photo of the stump sprouts of the cherry I took down early this summer and another of the ones from two days before the pig roast.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

I can imagine the height of Jeff's cherry sprouts, they're wicked. I've seen aspen root suckers grow six feet the first year and... ever here of pin cherry? In some plantations we established, the pin cherry where 8-10 feet (from seed) in 3 years.  :o I'de have to say that's alot of growth in 3 months of growing per year.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

Instead of roundup on my trails, I just use a broadleaf herbicide. That way I don't kill any grass that is growing and it takes care of the 'weeds' and makes a good trail (not much grass anyway, but what is there helps keep them from washing out).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

GlennCz

Alot depends on the type of terrain you have, is it rocky?  Is it hilly or irregular.  Are there alot of ancient humps that would make walking difficult.  I have made a few miles of dirt roads on my property, I cleared a path through the forest then hired a frontloader to make my trails.  the frontloader ON TRACKS was the answer!  It took 2 days to make a few miles of trails, i might've been there for weeks if I had a regular backhoe on rubber tires. 

I have also made and maintain about 1.5 miles of grassy paths that I mow 3-4x/yr, right around my house.  I used a brushcutter and chainsaw to clear the brush, then used a lawnmower to mow what was left down.  you could go through a few lawnmowers this way, but a $220 sears mower is just fine.

If you get a machine, clear all the brush out, because he might make a mess, (not a true mess but not what you want) of dirt/brush piles, when just throwing the brush to the side and letting it rot might be better.  If you use a machine, and you don't plan on ever driving on it, maybe try to start with smallest machine possible, because once you do it, it might be forever and you want to do the right thing in the long foremost. 

Probably no matter what your own situation, you will need a nice tree saw(manual, extendable with clip and saw) to slip and saw branches that will reach down to the openness of your trail.  Also, if you are cutting through brush to make a trail, of course the brush is going to constantly creep on your trail.  But I don't find that a high maintenance problem, i use manual hedge trigger, tree lopers, lawnmower to constantly widen the trail and fight encroachement.  But, every situation is different.

crtreedude

Guys, it is cheating when you talk growth from a root left from cutting down a tree.

However, take a look at these: 20 month old from seedlings (6 week old)

SwampDonkey

crtreedude: Yup, but no one established any ground rules. ;D I have seen your pictures posted earlier and they are impressive for sure. But take my example of a pin cherry from seed that has attained 8-10 in 9 months of growth, then double that. ;) Well, for sure doubling that might be a stretch because after the first 3 or 4 years the height growth slows significantly.

Anyway, I think the spirit of the thread was to indicate how fast stuff can grow back even after being freshly cut out. I don't think we can compete with Costa Rica even if we build biodomes in Iowa. ;D ;)

crtreedude

Yep, just teasing. Actually, I spend a lot of time being amazed down here.

I would hate to plant a pin cherry down here - You might get hurt if you didn't jump out of the way quick enough.  :o

Thank You Sponsors!