iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got a question for you guys livin' in the Ozarks!

Started by JimBuis, September 13, 2005, 06:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimBuis

I own 5 acres in the Missouri Ozarks.  It is about 1.5 miles from the lake, a few miles from Barnett, 10 miles or so from Bagnell Dam.  It is covered with a good stand of trees typical of that area.  Is the value of such a tree stand worth worrying about? ???

I currently have the place on the market, but am not getting any offers yet.  So I am just wondering if there is enough potential lumber on the place to make it worth considering cutting some of it to get some of my investment out of it.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Bibbyman

I'd try contacting the local Missouri Department of Forestry agent in that area.  I think our forester is located in the local Department of Agriculture building.  Well could be different in the area where your land is located.

I'm suspecting a small acreage of timber will not be attractive to professional loggers.

You may want to try this Missouri Forestry web site.

http://www.mdc.mo.gov/forest/
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

SAW MILLER

Jim,there are so many variables that its impossible to guess,but you might have alogger to cut it on shares and receive somewhere between  1,000 to 50,000 dollars.And,if I owned it ,it would end up closer to the first guess.I think people haven't jumped right in here because it's imposible to guess on acres alone.I would find a timber man close by and have Him to cruise it for you.I had 10 acres cut pretty hard 10 years ago and my 40 percent came to about 2,000 dollars.by the way,I'm not from the ozarks but we have similar species as you.
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

ARKANSAWYER

I live in the heart of the Ozarks and most loggers will not even fire up the skidder for 5 acres unless it is all 36 inch old growth oak.  With out looking at the land I could not give a good guess.  But here most stands will produce about 2,000 bdft of logs per acre and at $350 mbdft for logs your cut on a 50/50 would just be $350 plus the mess left over.  Now in better stands you could have as much as 5,000 bdft of logs per acre and come out OK. 
  The land would be worth more as a cabin site so I would leave the trees because most folks are turned off by the slash left over after logging.
ARKANSAWYER

JimBuis

Well I was thinking about it in terms of doing it myself.  I would not need a logger to do it.  Then I don't own a mill yet, but am just looking for an excuse to buy one.  I figure I have owned the place for over 20 years, so if I cut down the trees for my own use and nobody buys it, it is no loss.  Right now I am just paying the taxes on it without receiving any benefit at all.  I guess I'll keep it on the market for a year or so and see if it sells.  If I end up with a mill in the next year or two and I still have that 5 acres, maybe I'll cut down some of the trees for practice as well as the lumber.
smiley_chop

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

DonE911

I'd think five acres would sell pretty quick as someones vacation location....   sure wouldn't last long where I'm at.

Is that not a popular vacation area or is the plot to small or something?

I'm sure if you hold onto it for another 10 years it'll be a high demand area and you'll turn a nice proffit on it at that time... plus you'll have a good reason to buy a mill and make some sawdust while you're just pay'n the taxes 8)

Thank You Sponsors!