iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Construction Question

Started by Jeff, September 13, 2005, 05:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maple flats

yea, but the inspectors need to justify their job. I feel that many codes call for specific things like engineered or grade stamps because the inspectors know so little they need to see the stamp to determin if something is safe. Many times I see real junk that has a grade stamp, that passes but some real nice rough cut, no loose knots, only small knots and good straight grain sturdy wood fails because it is not officially stamped. Some of the stamped really makes a joke of the law but you must play their game or you are fighting a loosing battle. I used to be in the insulation business back about 25 years ago. Some attics were 2x4 rafters with random spacing up to about 3' on center and the roof was still straight, some were stamped lumber, 24" centers trusses and were sway backed, couldn't stand between the rafters or you wolud fall thru the roof and thru the attic, but it passed inspection. Mu feeling is that they should require everyone to use full demension lumber and get rid of this 1.5"x3.5" junk, many of which were cut on a scragg from a 4.2" diam tree, bark on all sides after finishing but it has a grade stamp, GOOD STUFF!
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

sawguy21

I would go out with on occasion with a friend who is an appraiser. I was apalled at what I saw in the new subdivisions yet apparently they met code. One brand new home was so bad I asked him what he would put in his estimate. He said subject to an engineers report ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tom

What is really cool is that Wildflower is Tom-T-Shirt-Red.  ;D 8)

Jeff

Tonight tammy finished up on her fake foundation and was sitting putting together the porch light. 

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

isawlogs

Jeff

What did you guys use for stain on the , I like that color , I think it would look good on my logs . Sure is a good lookin place to park a rocker .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

Marcel its Sikkens Natural Cedar. Same thing that is on the house and our wood-mizer fence.

Jeff

Caught a picture of Tammy power washing her cedar posts we put on her deck. The posts were a few years old and just rolled out of thier bark but has a lot of inner bark and gue on them. I might have to clear coat these babies as they are really purty. It looks like the cedar spalted. I never saw spalted cedar.

Nova

Nice cedar posts Jeff.  Got to love it when Mother Nature surprises you with a gift like that.
...No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care...John Maxwell

Jeff

Thought I would add a few pictures to what we have been doing on this.

Added a porch light and finished wiring the shed including some GFI outdoor receptacles for Kevin_H to plug into to cook breakfast. ;D

Put in a layer of OSB over the subfloor in preperation for the red cedar floor coming from Cedarman.

Completed the insulation and added a cooling unit. ;D

We are now working on sheeting over the insulation in preperation for paneling with the cedar we sawed at Corley5's

Oh! We also wrote something on one of the window headers before we seal it up under the OSB.
:)

Tom

Dan_Shade

how many forestry forum members can fit in there!

some of us need to go on a diet, I believe that means no more posts about food for a while  :D
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

moosehunter

Jeff,
I see insulation. Will it have heat? We may be in the area in Feb. ;D

I was telling my wife about the tiles (blocks) for the ceiling and said " you remember, the little building behind Jeff & Tammys at the pig roast"

It took me a few minutes to realize it wasn't there when we were :-[

I am better than most at saying dumb things.
One of my teachers in grade school said " engage brain before mouth"
I shoulda listened :D
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Jeff

We are planning to have some heat yes sir!

The little cabin should be comfortable for a couple with a couple of kids. Long as Tom aint there and somebody aint got it reserved, its available! (well, once its done)

pigman

I was wanting to stay in the little cabin with the wife when you started the project. 8) Not any more. :(  You gone and fancied up the place with windows and a wooden floor. If the wife stayed in a ritzy place like that then she would be expecting me to build her a place with all those luxurious features. ;)
Bob the hillbilly
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Paschale

Quote from: Jeff B on June 09, 2006, 06:18:45 PM
We are planning to have some heat yes sir!

Mighty fine looking building ya got there, Jeff.  What flavor of heat are you leaning towards? 
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Jeff

Not sure yet on the heat. Maybe a small ventless gas heater.

Mooseherder

A remote controlled ventless gas fireplace works good.
They throw alot of heat.
Our friends in north Georgia have one in their cabin.
We will be installing one in ours to replace the wood burning stove.

Kevin_H.

8) No more popping the breaker on the well pump while cooking breakfast.

looking good...
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Jeff

By request we've done an upgrade.  :)

Nothing but the best for future forum guests. 8)

We been having sweet corn lately and been saving da cobs too! ;D

pigman

:o :o  Another one of those indoor outhouses. You must have learned about them from that woodshop teacher in Japan. I here them things are getting real popular in the big cities.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Jeff

This one is even fancier, they got it scaled down so as now, the sink and the bowl is all in one place!  Ingenious!

UNCLEBUCK

UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

SwampDonkey

Do ya wash before, after or during? :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

Ummm I hate to say this since you've already sheated it in but you forgot a vent in dat dar ceiling. ;D

crtreedude

Wow Jeff - that looks just like where you are staying...  :D

(Now he has to figure out if I am teasing or not...)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Thank You Sponsors!