iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Construction Question

Started by Jeff, September 13, 2005, 05:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furby

What Jeff is not telling you is he didn't get more done because I chewed his ear off for part of the afternoon.
Sorry Jeff. ;)
Gotta say though, the "dog house" really does look good, and they have all done an excelent job with it!

Jeff

Chet suggested this weekend that I might want to stain the siding I have up so the red pine does not discolor over the winter.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Teri

Looks Great!!!!! 8)

Ya'll have done a fine job!  ;D

SwampDonkey

Probably a good idea , especially if there's some snow up against it.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ernie

Lookin better every day.

What do you use as a stain?
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Jeff

Ernie

Thanks Jeff

The Sikkens site does not list a "Natural"  Is it an oil based stain, I would like to find an equilavent here in NZ.  When were were in Canada a few years ago, we saw a lot of garden sheds and the such like that were treated in a similar manner and we think that would be a good seller here, you know, the old value added thing to maximise our returns from our small block of dirt.

Thanks

Ernie
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Jeff

Well, sounds like we were having our last good weather this weekend so we got on the stick and got the rest of the shed sided and stained. We had the back to do which no one will see in summer, but you will be able to see it once the leaves are down.  THe back edge has no overhang so I had to scribe the siding into the natural edge facia board and the caulk. Since I had the jigsaw out, Stacy decided to play with it in between our using it for the shed, hence, the second picture and Stacy's contribution to the final part of the siding, a lttle wooden heart that is inscribed  Built by Jeff, Stacy and Tammy.

Corley5

8) 8) 8) 8)  Super Job Guys!!!!
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

beenthere

Great 'team' effort there.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

isawlogs

You guys did a super nice job ....  Enter it in the next WoodMizer  personal best , I'm sure they would like to hear about how it was built and by whom ,
  Jeff why no overhang on the back side , if you dont mind me asking .  ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

Well, I did that for a couple three reasons, one, material lengths, namely OSB. I wanted to optimise the use of what I had to buy. I wanted all I could get in the cantelevered roof in the front, but didnt want to buy extra OSB. As it works out, its was exactly two sheets long.  The other reason is, I have built this building stout enough that if I want to move it somewhere else on my property I can, and if I do ever move it, I want to be able to double it's size by simply removeing the siding on the back and putting it up aginst another structure. The 3rd reason is, you dont ever see the backside, only the neighbor and a glimpse of it going down the back road once the leaves are down. I considered not even staining it. ;) ;D

OneWithWood

Nice job, Brokaw Construction Group.

That will make a nice dispaly room for all the family toys when it isnot being used as a refuge or breakfast nook.  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Fla._Deadheader

Yep, fine lookin Chateau.  The construction crew done a right fine job.  8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

SwampDonkey

Fine job folks. What are your rates? (joking) ;)  8)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Stacy and I spent much of the week making and installing the soffit for the shed. I have a router and a cheap router table so we would cut each piece then run it through to make shiplap joints so when it shrinks we dont get unwanted vent holes for da birds and da bees. Especially da Bees.  Stacy got all the stain used up this morning. The hardware store is out of it, we are out, and they wont be ordering any more until spring. 

THe weather here has been unpresidented. As you see from the photos below we still have a ton of leaves on the trees. Never before have I saw this here. ALWAYS by Halloween the leaves are down and we have them taken care of.

We kept doing things in steps because we knew winter was at our heels. When we put the tar paper on, we knew we had to get it up to protect the OSB because there was no way we would have time to do siding. Just not enough fall left. Well, as you can see we got the siding up and unbelievably we got it stained and all closed in and CHIPMONK PROOF! 8)   

The only thing we have left to do on the outside is finish off under the overhang. Right now, I am not sure what I am going to do there. I might edge some cedar poles then edge them with the mill, and screw them up there. Not sure yet, but that is well protected and I can think about it with out worry until spring. That is unless God blesses us with another week like this past week and then Stacy and I will probably be out there working together on that.  :)

I have to say, the best part of this project has been working together with Stacy on all the different things. We work well together. :)

Fla._Deadheader

As someone posted elsewhere on the Forum, working with your kids is what it's all about. Really nice job.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

pigman

On an earlier post I said " I am now making my resevations for the next piggy roast. I want the guesthouse portion. I don't want to  run the dog out of his portion. "
I have changed my mind.  That guesthouse is way too fancy for my wife and myself . We are used to living in this shack we call a house. :( I guess we will have to stay in the Days Inn again next pig roast. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Furby

Hey Jeff,
You may just get that week........... or more, all the wooly bears I'm seeing are totally black. ::)
Good Job by the way!

Actually, we are getting a pretty heavy lightning/thunder storm right now............ in November! :o

Jeff

Added a little something to the shed today.  ;D

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

beenthere

Outdoor part of the indoor plumbing?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Paul_H

Aye,if anyone conduit,it's Jeff.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

SwampDonkey

Don P

I guess he put the round duit tuit   :-X ::) ;D

Thank You Sponsors!