iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Construction Question

Started by Jeff, September 13, 2005, 05:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Kevin, I think it's to stop all them perdy leaves from fallin in the pool and making the boss's mood look a little ugly. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Kevin, this will be your breakfast cooking spot. Right outside under the overhang. Already got it figured out.  :)

Garey, You will be able to stay as long as you want because it'll probably be me that leaves. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Quote from: Patty on October 06, 2005, 12:27:35 PM
Good job guys!   8)

I really like the tiny front porch with the overhang. Is that a tiny little room up in the attic with the window? What are your plans for this mini-house?

Thanks Patty! , actually, the plan is for using it for storage until we can get the garage/barn.jeff's BIG doghouse built. :D  THEN, it becomes a pool house-guest house.  The overhang should be big enough for a bunk, but we have a log futon in storage right now that will probably go in there to convert to a large bed when folded out.  I do plan on insulating it next year.

OneWithWood

Would that be cedar siding?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jeff

Quote from: OneWithWood on October 06, 2005, 01:42:13 PM
Would that be cedar siding?

Nope redpine but the corners and window trim are trim though. If you look close you might recognize it's source. ;D  does FOOD-MIZER ring a bell? 8)

Ernie

Neat house Jeff.

Do you need to cut grooves in the back of the siding to stop rain from climbing up between the boards by capillary action?
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

SwampDonkey

When I helped grandfather put clapboard on the south end of the house 25 years ago it wasn't grooved. The clapboard usually has a thick edge and a thin edge, but I don't think it's nesseccary. Now the house is covered in vinyl, right over the clapboards.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

I dont think its a problem. One thing, there is a monster overhang, two, the siding is horizontal.

Ernie

Thanks, that's great.

We want to build more things here and if you buy weatherboard (clapboard) from the retailers, it has a pair of grooves, just 3/16" deep sawcuts  1/2" apart near the bottom of the inside edge, that's why I asked.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Paschale

Looks awesome, Jeff!   8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Larry

Jeff, really looking nice.  Shows a lot of thought...roof overhang, windows, along with the cantilever porch are quite attractive.

Like seeing tarpaper in lieu of Tyvek for house wrap.  Maybe an old timer but I have used both and think tarpaper is far superior.

One question...for your footings are you using those precast things from Lowes at $8.00 + or so?  My buddy is pre-casting those things and wants me to start sawing ERC so he can sell some kits.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Jeff

They are the precast, but we only paid 4.00 at home Depot

Don P

QuoteLike seeing tarpaper in lieu of Tyvek for house wrap.  Maybe an old timer but I have used both and think tarpaper is far superior.

Ditto. After seeing some pictures of holey tyvek under cedar I never looked back. I figure other extractives will do the same thing to it, just slower.

Looks good guys. I was in the doghouse before we were that far along  ;D.

isawlogs

You guys are really doing a nice job . Its looking super nice on the pics must be something else to see up close .

smiley_clapping
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Furby

Quote from: Kevin_H. on October 06, 2005, 01:01:55 PM
Hey why did ya cover the pool already ???
Was thinking the same thing. We are just now getting the good swimming weather. ;D
But I did close my parents pool up yesterday, water temp was still 68. :o
Mine is still open though. 8)

Jeff

We have a door!

Our pool temp droped to the low sixties the week after the pigroast and never recovered. We closed it up on Labor day.

Jeff

I forgot to post this photo.  :)

Ernie

Jeff

A little forward process. We thought we would mix it up a bit. Menards had cedar shingles for 15 bucks a bundle so we bought a couple bundles to do the gable overhang.

DouginUtah

Good decision. The two textures work nice together.  8)

-Doug
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Teri

Its looking really nice.  8)

SwampDonkey

I like cedar shingles too, but with all this vinyl and tar shingles you don't see much used any longer. I think there are original cedar shingles under the aluminum roofing on the main part of the house. My old grainery has cedar shingles, but all but the west side is covered by aluminum siding. The O'Tooles Artisan shop in Grafton uses cedar shingles for roofing and siding, looks good.

tnlogger

Seeing as I missed most of this. I can just say that the girls have done a fine job there and just think Jeff's got a new job now ( scatch boss)  ;D
gene

beenthere

You three do nice work. Looking great! 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

A little progress. Itfinally stopped raining and was about 63 today, so, I used up the last tab of stain in the bucket beofre cold sets in. Stuff was getting pretty thick. Got a few more siding boards on as well.  The plan is to let those dry until spring before staining.

Thank You Sponsors!