iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Construction Question

Started by Jeff, September 13, 2005, 05:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

Sure the purlins could be solid. I did give you Fb1250 psi to meet what I think are youre codes ...that is some nice stock.
Then I think I might put some blocking between some of the rafters and lag the purlins up to the blocking while you're jacking things up and posting under the ends...trying to keep the purlins snug to the ceiling when its not very loaded and drying  ???.

Furby

Let me correct what I said, my inspector requested I use them so to speak. ::)
Code calls for straps OR 3 nails, two from one side and one from the other.
I never have cared for a toe nailed connection anyways, due to the mangled wood and poor holding strength.

Jeff

One thing that we really should still consider. This is still only a shed that I plan on cleaning out perhaps and let people change into swim clothes or sleep in during the summer. I want it to be a pretty shed, but still, a shed. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Larry

My way...Simpson Strongtie on the inside and another one on the outside.

Probably not to code as I did not use a double top plate...got the trusses centered over the studs.

I like Simpson...hope we don't have a hurricane in Arkansas.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Tom

Here is a PDF that sure comes in handy and is fun to read too.

http://www.awc.org/pdf/WCD1-150.pdf

Don P

I hear you, I'm giving the "hard" line. The safety factor on most wood is at least 2.1 times stronger than I gave you. The snow loads are listed higher than usually occur. I was just giving you what I feel comfortable writing in public, now its up to you  :).

That looks fine Larry, I did find out one way I did some "doubling up"was actually weaker than a single connector. I sometimes pays to double check before adding extra connectors in the same area.

Jeff

Well, you'll wanta hear this then  :D   That catelevered overhang? I'm planning on it being closed in and a sleeping bunk. ;D

Furby

Larry,
Those are what I used, he didn't say anything about more then one each end of the truss, and passed what I used.

Yes Jeff, but you need to be protected from yourself, that's why they make all these rules. You have admited to possible planned uses as other then a shed, so it should be built to code!  ;) ;)
:D :D :D

Don P

Drop the ridge down to 131-3/8" to the underside...now the top edges plane and it hangs down inside about 7/8"...plumb cut on rafters is about 6-3/16"

My standard disclaimer YOYO, you're on your own  ;D.

Don P

Oh in the flurry I forgot the formula you asked about originally.

Hypotneuse= horizontal span x (1/ cos (pitch angle))
Plumb to plumb= 94.25 x (1/ cos 26.6 degrees)
                         =94.25 x (1/ .8945)
                         =94.25 x 1.118 (remember the line length ratio I gave you earlier)
                         =105-3/8"

Your doin trig now  :D

isawlogs

When I built my shop ... I used my judgement and commen sence , No code here required for secondary buildings . But that dont mean to cut corners . I have full 2 X 6 walls and 2 X 8 rafters , 2 X 10 ridge , car port is under a 2 X 8 truss , sitting on a 6 X 8 steel beam wich is on 10 X 10 post . Dont think this is going anywhere .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

J_T

Tune in next for how to build a hog trough ??? Not the ones the hogs eat out of either :D :D But the one in the attic 8)
Jim Holloway

Kevin

QuoteYour doin trig now

That's why I bought the Construction Master II calculator.  :)

Fla._Deadheader

Sumbodies signiture here is,  "Measure twice, cut once, shim to fit".

That's the Kentucky windage way to build stuff.  ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DonE911

Beat it in to fit..... paint it to match :D :D

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D Sounds like a carp. my father would hire. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Gilman

In the NW we use structural paint.  ;)
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

J_T

We called it quarter inch paint  8) It's a sorry painter that can't cover up what the carpenter leaves  :D :D :D
Jim Holloway

pappy

Quote from: DonE911 on September 15, 2005, 03:49:32 PM
Beat it in to fit..... paint it to match :D :D

Don... don't force it just use a bigger hammer    ;D
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

leweee

everything in the right order now

smiley_headscratch Measure, Cut, Fit.... Cuss  smiley_furious (DanG)....Chaulk,Paint  smiley_headscratch  ;D

smiley_carpenter_hit_thumb when I use the bigger hammer it just hurts more ::)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

mike_van

Just once, I would like to see Norm Abrams yell  OH @??/!!!XXX -  I cut the *DanG thing too short!!!!!!   Like the rest of us.  As he throws the piece of clear Cherry in the stove. :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Gilman

A few years ago, Delta had a lottery for winning a dinner with Norm and getting to watch a filming of one of his shows.  I didn't win.   :(

On one of Roy Underhill's shows he cuts one of his fingers, I think with a chisel, and then proceded to drip the rest of the show.  They must not have a pause button on their cameras.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

DanG

If he needed the money, which he don't, I bet ol' Norm could make a mint with a bloopers tape. ;D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Don P

And then you get into rafters that just can't be frailed enough to care about your math. Notice, the big orange hammer. At a certain point (usually with a big hammer in one hand and perched on a ladder 25' up) a fellow begins to realize it must be easier to figure it out first  :D.

I always liked Roy, he sure isn't afraid to show that things don't always go as planned and sometimes you end up bleeding for the craft  ;D. A good carpenter bleeds every day...a bad carpenter bleeds several times a day.

Jeff

Thank You Sponsors!