iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lucasmill..longer than life

Started by Timburr, September 13, 2005, 05:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timburr

In a few weeks time, I am being commissioned by a boat builder to mill a large quantity of 35' lengths of boatskin larch and 40' of doug.fir shipmast.
I have access to extra rails, centre supports and end-frames. So my question is, how do you Lucas folks adequately support your extra-length rails ???.....Do you fit centre supports to every available rail hole and with just 2 end frame/ winch post combos, or do you use 3 winch posts. I'll be connecting 2 x 6metre rails and the 2 end extensions  together.
I've contacted our Lucas dealer and they've only sold 2 metre and 3 metre rail extensions, so I believe there are no other millers here in Britain, whose brains I can pick, that run a double rail mill.

Thanx in advance Tim
Sense is not common

DonE911

this prolly aint alot of help, but i got the video from Baileys a year or so ago and they had a 827 cutting some really long DF beams.  I don't know if it was a 40 footer or not.... I don't recall seeing alot of supports on the rails.  I don't have the video anymore, but I'm sure one of the forum members does.... 

Can someone pop the video in and check it out??

Timburr

That's a good idea. Forgot about the video. It's been 3½ year since I watched it. I'll go and raid my folk's place, see if I can rummage it out....tomorrow!    Thanks.
Sense is not common

Lucas_Mill_Pty_Ltd

Tim,

Please find following directions, straight from our latest manual on how to join 2 sets of rails together. The system we use is to place a 3rd endframe at the join and use the 2 others either end of the log.

Stays can then be used as normal if required.

Fuelwood, our distributor in the UK, will be able to source the joining sleeves for you if they are not already in stock

Regards
Matthew de Jager
Lucas Mill Pty Ltd

BEAVERBOY

HERE IS A PICTURE OF A 6 OR 8 METER EXTENSION KIT. BASICALLY THE ADDITION HAS ONE END FRAME KIT, TWO EXTRA RAILS (6 OR 8 METER) ALONG WITH TWO TRACK JOINING SLEEVES. AS SEEN IN THE PIC, ONE END FRAME HOLDS  6 OR 8 METER RAILS WHERE THEY MEET AND THE OTHER END FRAMES SIT ABOUT ONE METER FROM END OF RAILS. WE HAVE CUT A FEW 14 METER (8 X 12) IN THE PAST FOR A TIMBERFRAME HOME WE BUILT IN 1999/2000 WHICH CAN BE SEEN IN OUR VIDEO. I WILL TRY TO FIND A PIC AND SCAN IT FOR YOU TOMORROW. MOST LUCAS OWNERS THAT I HAVE TALKED WITH WHO TAKE ON JOBS SIMILAR TO YOURS HAVE DEVELOPED A RAIL SYSTEM TO GET LOGS SET UP IN A QUICKER FASHION. MOVING FROM ONE LOG TO THE NEXT CAN BE TIME CONSUMING UNLESS YOU HAVE A BIG PIECE OF EQUIPMENT TO MOVE LONG LOGS WITH. ARE YOU GOING TO BE CUTTING ALONE OR DO YOU HAVE HELP? ARE YOU GOING TO BE ON A FLAT SPOT OR SOMEWHAT SLOPED?
IT SEEMS THAT MY ATTACHMENT CANNOT BE SENT IN JPEG OR GIF. I WILL SEND ATTACHMENT TOMORROW.

BEAVERBOY

TIM
LOOKS LIKE MATTHEW FROM AUSTRALIA HAS ALREADY SENT PIC.

HORSELOGGER

HEY BEAVERBOY!!!... hold it down would ya, we're all in the same room ;D
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

DonE911

Beaverboy.... ALL CAPS is considered yelling.  You may already know that, but just in case you didn't.

No 1 is upset ... just letn ya know.

BEAVERBOY

Sorry, I did not know that CAPS is considered yelling. The company I work for has an ordering system that only works in CAPS so I tend to type in all CAPS when sending emails. I usually take a few orders within the time it takes me to type an email.
Thanks for the heads up.

BEAVERBOY

Sorry #1 if I have upset you, really I just wanted to answer your question. It was my first post and I did not know the rules of chat rooms.

Jeff

:D  Sam, these guys are all freaks.  :D  no 1 is "No One"  As in "No one is upset" :D    WELCOME TO THE FORSTRY FORUM!  ;)

Meet Sam from Bailey's Folks.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Beaverboy
Welcome to the forum, and don't take it personally. I learned the same way and at first, it was a sharp knuckle blow to the head, but then upon thinking a bit more on it, it was just to get my attention.

Its a dilema when a new poster comes aboard and uses CAPS, to figure if he is really YELLING or just posting. To try to help the new poster, there is the urge to 'let him know' and often we try to do that in a personal message, sorta whispering behind everyone's back. Sometimes not.  

Stick around as this bunch is great to know and it can be interesting trying to figure out things that we don't know.

The Boss runs a tight ship here which makes it fun for most everyone, young and old alike. Read some threads and you will find out what I mean, I believe.

Again, a welcome from me and for others, to a great Forum. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Timburr

Lucas_Mill_Pty_Ltd,
Thanks for the info. and the email. Welcome to the forum.
If I can get in with this boat building crew, I trust that I can keep adding extra rail/ endframe combinations to mill even longer lengths ???

Am I right in believing that you folks at Lucas have developed a faster cutting chain for the slabber?

And can you thank Rex for sending us the large log lever attatchment.

BEAVERBOY, I appreciate your sensible answer;THE REST ARE RANTERS :D ;D :D

The fella I'm cutting for has 26 x 35' x 30" to 36"dbh logs to mill and has assured me that they WILL be positioned on a level surface. Should keep me off the streets for a while  ;D. He has a whole tribe of labour to help me for the day...I mean week. The head will be removed and the whole frame will be lifted from log to log.

Cheers Tim

Sense is not common

BEAVERBOY

Looks like it is going to take me a while to figure out all the slang and rules to the forum postings :D. I

have been reading posts for about 9 months on the sawmills and milling section but just started getting

to answering some of the questions. Thanks Jeff :).

Tim- I did not get a chance to scan the pic (reason: good day in sales) of us cutting the 46' in Northern

Cal and I am flying out tomorrow to a Wedding back East so I will get on it when I return on Tuesday.

Sorry for the wait :'(

BEAVERBOY

Sorry, I'm  a day late but here is the pic.

Fla._Deadheader

Nope, nope, nope. That ain't gonna do.

We want pics IN the thread. Go to the topic board "Behind the Forum". We got some DanG good struckshuns for posting them pics.  ;) ;D ;D :D :D :D

Welcome to the Forum, Beaverboy.  ;) :) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

I see why he cheated.  :D I sent Sam the links for the gallery instruction, but that photo is a wide one! Probably the best way to handle it and still see it was in the PDF.

This Time. ;)

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

I see poor Sam posting most of the afternoon on this one.  :D  He probably has left to get a toddie after all that.  :D

Furby

Hey, I gotta admit that's a COOL pic! 8) 8) 8)

Captain

Welcome Sam, we're all fans of your company and what you do to bring your products to the masses!!

Captain

Ernie

Welcome to our home Beaver Boy, nice pic and a cunning way to post something that wide.

Good to have you aboard
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

neslrite

Sam,
Glad you decided to start postin ;)
Kevin Bantle
LogRite Tools
rule#1 nobody ever puts just one nail in a tree  LogRite Tools  www.logrite.com

Timburr

Sam, I greatly appreciate the time and trouble you've endured on my behalf. Thanks for everything.

Your picture is spot on 8) 8) 8) and the wait was worth waiting for. It's taught me a lot.

Would I be right in saying that 2, 3, 6 and 8 metre rail lengths are available and any combination can be assembled?

It seems another Q? has evolved. What is the longest log you Lucas/ Peterson chaps have milled ???

Cheers Tim

Sense is not common

Ianab

This thread has the Peterson crew cutting a 60 ft long ship mast...

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=6539.0

Thats the longest I've seen :o

Ian

Edit: Some more pics in this thread https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=8172.0
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!