iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

D4H CAT

Started by JD_Kid, September 13, 2005, 01:28:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD_Kid

Hi ya
any one got one or drive a D4H cat  if so any good ?? i'm looking at a 1988  dozer with 3000 hours on the clock  PAT blade  on LPG pads but  will get new shoes 20 inch ..6 speed  DD   ex japer .so whats peoples views on these ?? also any one got the cat spec book   could they  check this number and see what it says
3AC 00600
thanks
JD
I used to smoke camels but found them hard to light and kicked to much

bitternut

Don't know for sure but an Amish guy near me has one and he seemed to be happy with it when I asked him who owned it. I will probably be talking to him in the next few days and I will  inquire more as to his likes and dis-likes if any with it.

No..........he doesn't pull it with horses.

Gary_C

I don't know how Cat's model numbers and letters are set up, but about 4 years ago I used a rental (almost new) D4C LGP (Low Ground Pressure). It had the wide pads,  hydrostatic drive with joystick control, and a 6-way blade with T-Handle control. Now the same rental unit is a D4G LGP. I know they have changed the way the hydrostat is controlled through the joystick.

I don't know what the H means in the model number but I thought that had something to do with the high drive sprocket and I didn't think that was available in that D4 series machines. If they have gone from a C to a G series in 4 years, they have not got to H yet. But then again what do I know.

I suspect the one you are looking at has drive clutches and two levers so is not too comparable to the one I used. At any rate, I loved it and wished I could afford to own one. Last fall I rented a Cat D5G for a day and that is the highest HP machine without the high drive sprocket. and it had the same features with the new joystick control, cab, heat, and A/C. Nice machine, but well over $100K to buy off the rental fleet. Next size up is the the D5N with the high drive with 25 more HP and Almost 9000 lbs more.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

bitternut

Here is a link to one that is on E-Bay. It has the high drive sprocket like the one the Amish guy has.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7545193969&category=97121

JD_Kid

Hi ya's
yep bitternut it is the high drive  i note on the CAT site  it is not made any more  i think it's place  is taken over with the D5G   it's a lot bigger than a D4C OR D4G  Gary  and from what i can work out it's clutched  not hydro  for it's steering  ..
an armish  guy with a dozer   when i first read  that i thought ya were pulling my leg  but they have moved  on a bit  and the steel touchs the ground   and chance  he would strike a pose  by his dozer  :)  make a good poster
catch ya
JD

tnlogger

here ya go good message board on about any old iron

http://www.ibdozing.com/
gene

JD_Kid

Hi ya tnlogger
yea i posted a  question on there a few days ago but have not heard any thing  :'( and have asked on a few other forums  but not alot of info out there  just waiting to get some feed back on the numbers  i have a mate who  has contacts  in CAT  so he's trying to pull it records  to find out  what it's past has been like
catch ya
JD

pigman

I rented a D4H this spring to grade around my sister's new house. It was the high drive power shift with levers. It operated  easy and had fair power. It is a lot heaver than the low drive D4s.  I rented a D5H with the finger tip control last fall to clear the house site. That thing was a pleasure to operate compared to the old TD 15 I ran for years. 8)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

David_c

JD_Kid

Hi ya's
thanks for the replys ..pigman did ya think it was a good dozer  IE would you buy one if you had the work for one ??
david_c  thanks for the link i'll ask there

catch ya
JD

pigman

Quote from: JD_Kid on September 14, 2005, 07:20:32 AM
Hi ya's
thanks for the replys ..pigman did ya think it was a good dozer IE would you buy one if you had the work for one ??

JD
Since I got rid of the old IH dozer, I have rented several Cases: 850s and two 1150s. Even though the Cases were almost new and the D4 had over 4k hours on it, I thought the Cat was easier to operate and could do more work. The Cases had the stupid pedal steering.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Scott

I don't have any personal expirience with them but one of my former bosses had one out to work on his woodlot. He said it was just big enough to push out the biggest stumps he had (aprx 24 in spruce). Most of the decent size excavating outfits in town have a D4H in the yard.  8)

JD_Kid

Thanks for the info guys ..i'm looking into it a bit harder  and i think i will buy it as  dozer i have now is getting higher hours and  need money spent on it ..
catch ya
JD 

hillbilly

The D4H is apretty good little machine in its class we had one on our equipment yard that we would use as a spare now and then,but the d4h h as in  hightrack series dozers is not a clearing machine the six way blade on the front wont with stand the abuse that it will take. we used a5h aquit abit it weighed alot more and was aprety good mach also . good running and luck to you.
       hillbilly

Scott

Hillbilly, what about the 6 way blades they have on D6R's now? Would they take the abuse or would a guy still have to go with the manual angle blades? I would tend to think those D6 PAT blades could take it so long as your not doing a lot of heavy rock work but  I'm not sure.

Thank You Sponsors!