iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill maintenance day

Started by Geoff, August 21, 2002, 06:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

Hey folks,

I'd like to pick your brains...

I just spent time with the WoodMizer reps at the Plowing Match, and we were talking about the idea of a maintenance day at our place.  The thought is that current (and future) WoodMizer owners could tow their mills in for the day.  The staff from WM would do set up, maintenance and blade seminars, allowing the operators to get their mills up to speed, and hang out with fellow sawyers.

What do you think?  Ever heard of such a thing?  Would you come if it was close enough?  How far would you drive?

We host about four woodlot tours a year, as well as a bunch of individual presentations, so this would round off the field day schedule for us.  It's our way of giving something back, and rubbing shoulders with fellow sawdustonthebrains....

Regards,

Geoff
Loyalist Forest

Frank_Pender

Geoff,

What an excelletn idea!  :P  I am going to try that one for Mobile Dimension Mill owners.  I live in the central part of the Willamette Valley and they could come from the Ocean side of the Coast Range as well as the Western Slope side of the Cascades and from Eugene area in the South to the  Columbia River or further in the North .   Thanks again for such a marvelous idea. 8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Bibbyman

Sounds like a great plan.  The Wood-Mizer service guys are really good at going through and putting your Wood-Mizer back on track and spotting worn parts or making adjustments you wouldn't notice.

I've spent some time with the service guys and they say it's common for two or more mill owners to get their mills serviced at one location to share the cost of mileage fee.

Some of the reasoning behind Wood-Mizer making more service centers is to get this kind of service closer to more Wood-Mizer mill owners.  

The Wood-Mizer service center in Mt. Vernon, MO. has had an Open House and Field Day there every year.  The Open House is aimed more for those in the area that have inquired about buying a Wood-Mizer and would like to look them over again.  The Field Day is more for Wood-Mizer owners where they'll demo the new equipment but also go over any changes or updates that may have came up recently.  It's a good opportunity to talk with the service guys and get any parts you may think you need.  It would be reasonable to assume you could take your mill to one of these events and have it tuned up - then hobnob with fellow sawyers.

Also, Wood-Mizer does more than a hundred shows and events each year.  When you know they are coming to your area,  you can arrange to have them service your mill before or after the event - thus save the mileage fee.  In many cases, you can take your mill to the event location for them to service.

At any of these events,  it's a good time too to pick up any parts or blades, as it will save you shipping cost.  They've got thousands of parts on their service trucks but just to make sure,  you may want to order anything special through service and ask that they send it out via the service truck to the show.

But I've got a problem - my Wood-Mizer don't have wheels!   :-/
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

woodman

Bibby just put it on a trailer  and get along cord  :) :)
Jim Cripanuk

Thank You Sponsors!