iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another Coyote.

Started by Jeff, September 12, 2005, 02:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Usually a couple of them critters around the woodlot because they travel back and forth to the cow carcassess dumped in the woods by the farmer 'over the hill'. Every time I see one I either don't have the camera or they are too far away. I like them around to clean up on the hares. We have open season on them (coyotes) most of the year.

I've seen a few mounts of coyotes. They are usually mounted as if they are trotting and tung hanging out. It would be neet to see one mounted as if it were to pounce on a mouse in the snow. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

This guy was braver than most coyotes I've seen. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

etat

That guy sure does look healthy looking.  Compared to the skinny poor looking coyotes I've seen around here that sure does look like a 'wolf' even though I can't remember ever actually seeing one.    :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

SwampDonkey

This one was on my woodlot this morning. They eat pretty good around here because of all the hares and the farmers that dump dead cow carcasses in the woods. It was a good size, but smaller than wolves I've seen in BC.

farmerdoug

Speaking of wolves, the DNR is actually thinking about taking the wolf off the endangered species list here in Michigan and allowing limited hunting of them.
They are doing a phone survey on the subject currently.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

crtreedude

I was surprised down here that we have coyotes.  :o They are a real problem with chickens. When I was young I used to have a 220 Swift for varmint - perhaps I will get one again. I could take out a coyote at 500 yards with that gun! (Tripod of course)

We have some really interesting animals down here like a Tira (tolomuco is another name) - about 3 feet long member of the weasel family. I have seen about 4 of them so far. I also saw a river otter one day. Very cool - it was in a redirected stream heading between the river and the forest.  I was on a horse at the time so it allowed me to seem him - but I wish I had the camera ready.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

SwampDonkey

There were three coyotes around last night in the snow storm. I walked up the woodlot and seen the tracks.

The other day (Wednesday) I saw a goshawk nab a grouse. I walked up to it and there was another grouse to my surprise running away about 20 feet from the hawk.  :o I saw him again yesterday in the same spot. I guess he hunted along that stretch of road because it's all closed in like a tunnel where the grouse feel safe.  ;D

I originally thought it was a female marsh hawk until I noticed it had white fluffy feathers on it's tale end.

Kirk_Allen

During our gun season for deer last weekend Chad hit a coyote on the run at 60 yards with a slug.  It was wounded and trying to make its way across the field. 

We hunt with radios so we can let each other know whats coming and since I didnt see the coyote Chad used the radio to let me know where he was. 

I got down from my stand since the other two guys with us had already shot there deer and I went to the field where chad lost site of him.  Chad is spotting me into the zone and tells me to come 50 yards north.  I do that and cant see a coyote ANYWHERE in this plowed feild.  He told me come a couple steps farther and he should be right there. 

I took those two steps and as soon as my foot hit the ground on the second step not 3 feet to my right in a dead furrow created by the old plow was this coyote GROWLING at me like he was going to eat me alive.  I swung the bolt action slug gun on him and squeezed the trigger. DEAD COYOTE. 

I think I will stick to my 220 Swift for those long shots on the dogs becuase this was definatly to close for comfort. 

crtreedude

Man, I hate when things like that happen. I always have to reach over and get a rock and pound my chest to get my heart started again...  :o

I will admit the last time it happen was when I walking down a trail with Hector. He said, Fred, look to your left. About 2 feet away I was eyeball to eyeball with an 8 foot boa constrictor.   ::)

Thankfully it wasn't the big one...
So, how did I end up here anyway?

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D What would ya have done? ;D

TimberGhost

Get it mounted in a sitting position Jeff and put it in the livingroom!! Great conversation piece!!

And Kirk you mention being close to a yote!! Well when I go yote hunting I use calls mainly rabbit squeals. Well I busted loose one morning playing the old dying rabbit blues and 3 coyotes come exploding out of the buches and the one ran up toe to toe with me and actually stepped on my boot before he realize I was a little bigger rabbit then he wanted to tackle!! I was about as shocked as he was, I swear that yotes eyes got as big as quarters when he looked up at me. I stood up and he took off running towards my dad and I was not going to shoot so I swung to the one in back of me that was no more then 8 yards from me and let him have it with the .204!! Was my heart pounding out of my chest that morning!!

~TG~
~TG~

SwampDonkey

I've never had trouble with coyotes, but I have been surprised a few times with them. They've never shown their teeth, nor have they charged me. Most often times they make themselves scarce and keep a very wide distance from me, unless by accident I happen upon them. If I didn't have coyotes, the hare would have my plantation ruined. In fact we had a 10 acre plantation where the hare ruined it entirely, no coyotes.  >:(

bugboy

I read a research paper on the coyotes from the area where SwampDonkey lives.  A scientist looked at the dna profile of the eastern coyote and found that the DNA was a mixture of western coyote and central Canada/US timber wolves.  It is likely that the eastern coyote is a hybrid between the western coyote and the timber wolf, hence their large size.

I've seen them in the 50-70 lb range in New Brunswick.  I've also seen some puny, mangey yotes too (15-20 lbs).

Ron Scott

Another Coyote

~Ron

Chuck White

Is he laying down peacefully now Ron?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sawguy21

My bride spent her whole life in the big city so our move to an acreage near a small town is a real eye opener. The neighbor has seen a sow with two cubs recently, we have seen evidence of her presence at the compost box. We have also had deer droppings on the deck.
Last night we slept with the door to the veranda open, just a screen between us and the great outdoors. Just after three we were wakened by a serenade, sounded like the yotes were in the pasture directly below the house. Karen slept with one eye open after that. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Dad2FourWI

We have a large pack of coyotes but they respect our 4 foot fence of our large yard. We will see them run around the perimeter of the fence - but they stay on their side...

They keep the woods clean, the rabbits down, and the turkeys "nice and lean" :D :D :D

I have to admit, when we are sitting out at night and you hear the pack closing in on something... the calls coming in quicker and quicker, and then a FRENZY... and then silence...... well, it makes the hair stand up on your neck.

All I can say is that we have lost no chickens to coyotes and yet lost several (and two ducks) to black bear.... we like the coyotes!!!   :o

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

red

Your city girl should be used to coyote according to
www.Urbancoyoteresearch.com
Cook County Illinois aka Chicago they have 1500-2000 coyote and have been tracking them with GPS collars
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

sawguy21

She has heard coyotes in the past, lots in the BC lower mainland, but never that close.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Trahlin

For every one you see, there are twenty that you will never see.  Very opportunistic predator.  In Nebraska, "Deader is Better" when it comes to coyotes.
You only truly fail, when you fail to TRY!

Ron Scott

Out on an early morning hunt.

~Ron

Bibbyman

How's this for an ugly coyote?  I caught it on trail cam about a month back.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

sandhills

Yep he's ugly, had one just like that following me with the silage cutter last year or the one before, looking for mice I'd guess.  Poor thing really should have been put out of his misery, manegy and starving.

Magicman

I agree Bibby, that is one ugly yote.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Scott

Coyote pups.

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!