iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How Much Anchor Seal to Keep Crotch From Blowing a Part

Started by Ga_Boy, September 12, 2005, 07:25:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga_Boy

I have about 12 crotch slabs that are 2" thick; these belong to a customer.

Very nice grain pattern; the customer wants to make table tops.

These were cut on Sunday, there is a thin coat on the swril grian.

How thick of a coat of Anchor Seal should I put on the swril to keep it from blowing apart?

If you want to see the slabs go over to the sawing board and see Dan Shades post on slabing Red Oak Crotches, alot of pictures there.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Norm

What I do is wait for the first coat of anchor seal to dry an hour or so and then put a second coat on. The next day I'll put a third coat on. Crotch grain may or may not stay sound even when doing all this, oak is one of the worst to do. All your really doing is slowing the drying down, sooner or later it's going to do what it's going to do.

Larry

Follow Norm's advice and keep your fingers crossed.

The cracking occurs because tangential shrinkage is roughly twice the radial shrinkage for oak...something has to give in that crotch with the mixed grain.

I finished a white oak crotch couple of months ago that turned out drop dead gorgeous even with big cracks...filled the cracks with a mix of epoxy and sawdust.  You can't tell the crotch ever had a crack.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!