iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

We were logging today.

Started by Jeff, September 11, 2005, 09:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Kevin, not sure if that applies to a 1985 or not yet  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Furby

Looks like ya will have to be REAL careful how ya get them on the mill.
If it's 16' 8" ya have a 4" window at least. ;)

Jeff

Furby, if you were here I could get ya to load em on by hand. ;)

Furby

:D :D :D :D
Is that an invite?
I'll start walking.........might make it by Monday. ::)
Actually was hoping you would make it to the bus races.
The cars are still burning up the track as we speak!

Jeff

We forgot all about it! Tammy is going to be disgusted when I remind her. Maybe I'll keep my mouth shut.

Furby

There's always next year!
Dump my post if it helps. ;)

Stump Jumper

jeff    8)

did you get a break controler hooked up in your truck yet  ::) 
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Jeff

Nope. But I been stopping pretty good.

OneWithWood

Jeff, it will only take one unplanned attempt to stop before you re-prioritize that controller and trailer brakes.

If someone jumps out in front of you and then makes a turn you won't be able to stop in time.

Be safe buddy. ;)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jeff

I actually bought the trailer without brakes then reconsidered and had them put on. Just have not gotten to the controller on tne truck. I have been keeping my loads way down because of that fact.

Fla._Deadheader

We all know that you are very sensible. However, when ya jam the brakes on, the inertia will lift and lighten the rear end of the vehicle, and there ya go !!!!!!!!

Make that controller #1 priority. OK ??????
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Murf

Boss, by the looks of it in the pics that there Chebby of yours is pretty new, if it has the factory trailer tow package on it installing the brake controller is about as hard as changing a light bulb.

It will be pre-wired to a socket under the dashboard, and they will should have given you a pigtail with the truck, if not stop at the parts counter, it's only a couple bucks.

You connect 3'ish wires from the controller to the pigtail, plug it in and mount the controller under the dash somewhere within easy reach.

Get'r'dunnnnnnn !!!!!
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

DonE911

I just got a new trailer...  brakes on both axels...

My factory installed towing setup went dead... I wired in the controler and connector the old fashion way...   you know.. the way we used to do it before plug and play.

I towed it home empty without brakes, but I wouldn't consider a load of any kind.... seen to many of those "tail wag'n the dog" situations.  Get that sucker wired in....   

Can't tell you how many times I've seen a mazda truck pulling a 35 foot Center Console with no brakes....  "geez, you bought the boat and couldn't afford a real truck to pull it with"   In FL, in order to take the boat to the ocean you usually have to go over a bridge...  the proud new owner must have forgot that bridges go downhill and they would have to stop the boat that is more than double the weight of the minitruck.  Seeing it stuck on the ramp was fun too.... not enough power to pull the boat out of the water. :D :D

Fla._Deadheader

MUCH more fun watchin that little bitty truck slide bakerds into the briny deep, pulled by that boat.  ::) ::) :D :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

DonE911

I never actually got to see that as it happened.....  I've seen the end result.

The funniest thing is when the owner wants a police report or "accident" report.

"nope sorry sir/maam.... thats not an accident"  under the breath you say " that's stupidity"

Who should I call??  " Tow truck with a diver and your insurance company"  "Make sure you tell them you are going to be HEAVILY fined for spilling fuel into the estuary" 

I didn't see this one, but was working when it happened.

27 foot boat, jeep wrangler, deep water ramp on the inlet, heavy outgoing tide.....  can you picture what happens??   

Boat to heavy and pulls jeep into the water...  boat has enough flotation to float the jeep and trailer.....  fast tide takes boat out the inlet...  seatow and Coast guard have a feild day with that one.  Boat eventually took enough water over the bow and went down, but it was off shore a ways.
That happened on the east side of the Ft. Pierce south bridge off S A1A...  Harold you probably know the place.

Fla._Deadheader

Yep, know it well  :D :D :D

Down in Pompano Beach, they have 35° slope ramps  ::) ::)  Had a old Chebby, ¾ ton with Gramma Tranny. Hooked onto one rig and kept him from dunkin his truck. Charged him $100.00 for Stupidity. HE PAID, GLADLY  :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

My trailor quick connect keeps corroding, so I quit replacing it. I only haul stove wood from the wood pile out front to the basement window behind the house.

Ok, now here's a little inspiration to hook up them brakes. ;D ;D

Trailor Brake Control Box. The strength of the breaks is adjusted by a knob on the right. Heavier the load the stronger the brakes. Also, the control box will apply heavier brakes on hills automatically when you press the brake pedal. The brakes can be turned on manually by a slider switch on the front of the control box, pull it to the left to apply brakes. The light changes shades of red depending on the strength you set the control box. The stronger the brakes the redder it gets. When the brakes are hooked and makes connection the light turns green when idol.

Trailor brakes wiring coupler. They told me at the Dodge dealership to buy a factory made coupler that pushes into this slot (blue) would cost me $350 bucks. What a bunch of horse pucky. I made mine for less than a $1 :D :D. All I did was put sleeves on the ends of the four wires that go into it and slid each individual wire onto the female coupler under the dash. There is a 5th wire that goes back to the rear for the trailor brake wire, it makes connection with the brake wire coming from the trailor coupler. This wire is splised off the trailor brake control box.

Wire from the trailor break control box run under the dash, out through the driver's side door and under the cab and along the frame to the rear. It connects to the coupler that hooks up yer lights and such from the truck. I had to replace the small square plug with a round one to incorporate the trailor brake wire. (The picture here shows the wire coming from under the dash out through a hole from the cab into the hinge area of the pickup.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Craig

Greetings all,

Go to http://www.etrailer.com you can purchase all the stuff you need including harness adapters and anything you could need to get your controller installed properly. They also have install instructions for specific vehicles. Their prices are very good and the service is excellent.

I have a dump trailer that I use for delivering firewood and also for hauling small amounts of logs (when I don't have enough to warrant a log truck) and I installed a controller in my Ford. It was very simple.

Hope that helps, good luck!

Craig
Craig Martin
C.S. Martin Forest Contracting
Life, Liberty and Justice For All.
(This includes Americans)

maple flats

Jeff, I might be wrong, but I believe in NYS if the trailer has breaks (even if you added them) you are required by law to have them operational, which means GET THAT CONTROLLER INSTALLED. Michigan might be the same.
I have driven many trailer combinations and when the going gets tough (like a kid runs out in front of you) the brakes had better work NOW! I don't mean to be bossey, boss, but we need you!
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!