iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

brdmkr, brdmkr, mk me a brd

Started by DanG, September 10, 2005, 12:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

brdmkr md me a bunch of brds today.  He came down from Ga with his Lucas mill in tow, arriving at my place about 11:00 this morn, to attack a large pecan tree that Hurricane Dennis brought down in my field.  As usual, I hadn't prepared very well, and we spent several hours cutting away the huge branches, some of which will become saw logs.  We finally got the stubby log extricated and rolled it into the clear, and set the Lucas up around it.  The log was only about 7 1/2 ft long, but about 40" in diameter, with no less than four crotches. Talk about some awesome grain!! :o 8) 8)  We had cut about 200bf of lumber when we ran out of time.  That is, Mike ran out of time and I ran out of gas. :-[  Oh well, It was time to turn the remaining log so we can get that one really big slab out of it, and we woulda had to break down the mill and reset it after flipping the log.  We'll get the rest of it on another day. ;) :) :)

Sadly, there are no pics at this time.  Mike's wife needed their camera today, so we used mine....until I dropped it while sitting on the tractor, at which time it ceased to function. :'( :'(  There are a few shots on the chip, but I don't feel like walking back to the truck to get it tonight.  I'm beat!

Thanks, Mike, for all your hard work!  It was great fun! 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Dan_Shade

Quote from: DanG on September 10, 2005, 12:00:50 AM
  As usual, I hadn't prepared very well

that just struck me really funny, i sorta resemble that, only i'm more untimely.  my friends have started asking me "now how long will this 10 minutes really be" :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

woodbowl

Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

pigman

With no pics sounds like the big fish that got away story. ::) I have only sawed two large pecan trees with my band mill and do not plan to saw any more. That stuff is hard. :o
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

DanG

You betcha it's hard...harder than Chinese arithmetic! :o  Tried to stab a chunk of it with the Logrite Hookaroon and it just bounced off.  Mike had to stop and sharpen up after about 100bf.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Furby

Quote from: pigman on September 10, 2005, 08:05:00 AM
With no pics sounds like the big fish that got away story. ::)

Typical Southern boys! ;)

brdmkr

That stuff was HARD.  But, I had a great time.  You can bet that I'll have a camera for the slab picture 8) 8)

We really got some pretty stuff out of it.   Did I mention that the how HARD the wood was?  The wood was really HARD.

HARD wood that pecan.  Did I mention how HARD pecan was ??? ???
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

DanG

I got pics, but I ain't gonna show'em to ya. ;D

Paul_H

I don't know what to believe now.I had Pecan pie before and it wasn't hard at all.It was kind of chewy and sweet and sticky.I'll bet it would gum up the blades though.

Maybe cut the Pecan first and then wash it down with some Sassparilly.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

woodbowl

Quote from: DanG on September 10, 2005, 10:49:59 PM
I got pics, but I ain't gonna show'em to ya. ;D
Ain't gonna show 'em to us ??  >:( >:( >:( >:(
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

DanG

Well, not right now, anyway.  I had another active day and forgot to bring the remains of the camera in(again).  Maybe we'll get around to it tomorrow...oops, it is tomorrow....well, later today maybe.

Blake22

It sounds like ya'll went speck fishin' at seminole. Probably put in at Wingates. ;)
Blake

DanG

Nawww.  I can't fish at Wingate's.  Can't seem ta git ta tha water.  There's a restaurant in tha way, and after I'm done there, I'm done! ;D

Ernie_Edwards

DanG you Dang,

Thanks to you I can't get that song from Fiddler on the Roof out of my head.

No matter what I am doing all of a sudden I realize I have Matchmaker Matchmaker going around and around. I don't have enough working gray matter left to do 2 things at once and humming that song is not what I should be doing when running the mill. I might make my boards into matches.

Ernie Edwards

DanG

:D :D :D :D

You're welcome, Ern!

:D :D :D :D

DanG

Good news!  The camera ain't toast, after all. 8) 8)  I guess it was just in shock from being dropped on the footboard of the tractor.  Since it has rested up for a couple of days, it seems to be fine.

Here's a couple of the very few pics we got:

See?  There really was a tree...and a brdmkr

This is the last pic I took before dropping the camera.  I was supporting the branch with the loader, so Mike could safely cut it off.  This method worked well for us, since I could move the entire branch out of the way without having to whack it into "hand-managable" pieces.  The "tusks" on the loader were really handy until I got a bit frisky and broke one of them off. ::) 

Blake22

Nice pics but I'd rather be at that restaurant workin' on some chicken n dumplins, watcha think? ;D
Blake

Gilman

brdmkr,
Sorry, but I just noticed your name is boardmaker, not bread maker. I thought, "Hmm that's different, a baker on the FF."   :D
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Furby

Where do you think the bread maker get's his secret ingredients ???

Ernie

A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

DanG

Somehow I knew that was coming.  I have nothing against safety gear, and admit to not using it like I should.  However, I think that being thoughtful and careful are much, much more important.  The young man in that thread was apparently neither.  You gotta THINK about what is going to happen as the cut progresses.  You also gotta be TAUGHT what to look for when disassembling a downed tree.  You can't just always rely on a suit of armor to protect you.

Chaps and kevlar boots are a rare thing in this part of the country.  I had never even heard of them until joining this forum.  As far as I can tell, they are not available locally at all.  At least I've never seen them in any stores.

brdmkr

Quote from: Gilman on September 11, 2005, 02:23:11 PM
brdmkr,
Sorry, but I just noticed your name is boardmaker, bread maker. I thought, "Hmm that's different, a baker on the FF." :D

My wife thought the same thing :D :D.  I suppose I was just too lazy to type out the whole thing.   I wonder how many others thought that.  Fact is I have not made many more boards than I have bread :D  Maybe I should do a little baking and see what happens.  Pecan loaf anyone ;D
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

woodbowl

When you first started posting on the forum, I thought you were bird maker.  ;D ;D

brdmkr

I can't recal ever being accused of laying eggs before :D :D :D

DanG

Went out there to retrieve our little pile of boards today, and since the camera has decided to revive itself, I took a couple more shots.

Here's the slab that is yet to be dealt with, and our little stack of boards.  There's some others that ain't in the pic.

Linda with her foot on the table.  Born in a barn, I guess. ::) :-\

A little short piece of 6x6 with some really nice grain and color.  I'm hoping some lucky bowl turner will pick it up.

This is the "top" of the stump.  I'm tryin' to figure out how to retrieve some of the fantastic wood out of it.  Guess I'll just hack on it with the chainsaw and take what I can get, eh?

Thank You Sponsors!