iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

shavings

Started by Gunny, September 09, 2005, 05:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gunny

The lady of the lake, here, would like to start planing lumber for a hobby (I guess?) and was wondering why our big shop vac wouldn't do for sucking those shavings.  I'm thinking that a 1 1/4" hose would get plugged every time you turned around.  Anybody out there using a big (6+ HP) shop vac for this?

Tom

I've seen designs for homebuilt cyclone sawdust/shavings vacuums that use a shop vac for power.  the hose doesn't get clogged in one of those because it is used to drive the Cyclone rather than using the shopvac hose directly.  The solids fall out before they reach the shop vac.

Ianab

Yup... look at one of those 'trashcan cyclones' and hook the shop vac to that with a decent sized hose to the planer. Any planer will make shavings at 10 times the speed of any other woodworking machine. You want a decent seperator can to catch the stuff so you dont have to empty the vac every board you plane.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

GHRoberts

Buy a Dewalt 735 planer and some 4" flexible hose.

The planer has its own blower.

ohsoloco

Gunny, the only dust collection I currently have is a 6hp 20gallon shop vac  ::)  It uses a 2 or 2-1/2 inch hose.  If I try planing a wide board (say 8 inches or more) it plugs that hose up real quick  :(  Actually, it gets plugged up right where I reduce the line coming out of the planer.  It also doesn't take long to make 20 gallons of shavings  :D

I've seen those cyclone thing-ies for dust dollectors, but I guess they would also work for shop vacs.  Grizzly has some reasonably priced dust collectors.

trim4u2nv

The smallest home shop dust collector I use is the grizzy 2hp with 6" pipe.  There is a guy that sells a small cyclone one ebay for $140.  You can solder this on top of a 30 gal steel garbage can lid and keep a supply of emply cans to switch out as they fill.  A moulder or planer will fill this about every 2-3 minutes if you really hog off the material.  Self dumping hoppers work better for industrial quantities of shavings.  Oh ya one of the consumer groups checked hp ratings on shop vacs don't believe their numbers.

rvrdivr

GHRoberts, I just bought one of those 735's, how do you feel about it?

As for a collector, I bough a craftsman dust collector for $120.00. I haven't yet used it but I think a collector will be a very important addition to the shop. It has a 4" hose.

What are you guys doing with all the shavings? I would think there is a market for it?

Thanks,
Brian

GHRoberts

rvrdivr ---

I like the 735.

It is not a production planer so I take 1/16" max off at a time.

I plane cherry, walnut, and mahogany.

I use a diamond hone to resharpen the blades and slip-it to keep the bed slippery.

mike_van

I use an SCMI 20" planer, with what it can do, it will bury any shop vac or small bag system.  Up on my collar ties, I mounted a blower from one of those Trac Vacs, put a 2 hp electric motor on it, and piped the outlet outside. I use a 6" flex hose down to the planer. All the shavings, fine dust, knots that blow out, are out of the shop, darn near dust free.  I used 6" silo pipe, where it comes out, I have some huge pourous feed type bags [approx 5' tall x 30" wide] I tie right on the pipe. Full of pine, weigh about 25 lbs. with oak, about 40.  My wifes horse has dibs on all the shavings.  Except walnut or the occasional pressure treated piece, seperate bag for them, just dump them in the field.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

pappy

The way I get rid of my shavings

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=4821.msg64266#msg64266...

Dump em outback... can't even give em away much less sell em... looked into making a bagger and talked to some of the big mills and they said they just break even with truck loads :(

I've got a 16" diam. material blower w/ a 5hp 3 ph motor, with a 6" trunk line (need to increase to 8" :P ) tied to a three sided planer/moulder... planing 1500 fbm of 4/4 cedar 3/4 will fill the trailer..

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

yieldmap

I'm pulling shavings off my WM718 with a 1.5hp Shop Fox, with a "trash can cyclone" inline.  Works pretty well when only hooked to one machine.  The guys are right, 15 minutes of planing will fill 'er up.  3 trash cans full, and the horses get it.  You can mulch the shavings if you like, layer them 1:1 with fresh grass clippings, turn, wait, turn, wait, turn, etc...a year later you have mulch.

The problem with a lower-volume and suction shop vac is when you turn the Woodmaster into a moulder.  Then, you have lots of open gaps for the air to blow by the cutterhead...meaning less velocity.  The chips are almost impossible to suck out of it with a small cutter.  Much easier when the "gaps" are blocked by the planer head...much better cleanup when in planer mode.  Probably better yet in sander mode, but I don't know.

I borrowed the DeWalt 735 from a friend for my last moulding job.  The planer is pretty gutless (after you've run a WM718, or a 15" Shop Fox), but the blower is awesome.  I can only cut 1/16" or so, but I have 30' of hose stretching outside and the blower ejects the chips all the way...no problem.  It also cools the motor, which was a problem in the 734's.

Consider the Shop Fox dust collector.  I also have a Delta cheapie ($150), and the Shop Fox band (around the bottom bag) is stiff enough to easily get the bag back on after cleaning.  The Delta is like a monkey *(&%&% a football.

yieldmap

Thank You Sponsors!