iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Felling my first big logs

Started by NZJake, September 08, 2005, 03:59:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NZJake

Well heres the trees I took down a few weekends ago, it was a real experience for me as I have not taken down such giants before. Every thing panned out alright though, managed to get the old heart pumpin for a few seconds ::), you gotta love the sound of that first crack and the huge thump as it lands on the ground.

I got most of the managable sized logs trucked into the shop (around a truck and trailer load), the bigger trunk ends are gonna have to be milled on site as the loader had no show of lifting them, probably get to cut them up next weekend. I'm thinking I'll get around 450 8x4 @ 2.4m long out of them (a fair bunch of sleepers). If you look carefully you'll probably see a road and power lines in the back ground, that's where the heart pumping came into play.

Just a few picks of the logs and site, also training day for one of our new ASM owners cutting up my nice sleepers :) for me.

Wife says I woke up one morning half asleep uttering thin kerf and high production, I think I need a hobby other than milling?

lawyer_sawyer

Nice Tree Jake
Glad you laid it right where you wanted to.
Love the outdoors, chainsaws, my 300 win mag, my wife and my son but not exactly in that order.

DanG

The tree is impressive, but the mill is AWESOME!  Looks like the labor intensity is just about at my level. ::) ;D :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

beenthere

DanG
I wasnt so sure that I didn't see you there with the other two  ::) ??? :D ;D :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

leweee

NZ Jake....what kind of Kiwi tree is that biggen 8)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Captain

Say Jake, are you using Chris's 088??

DanG

BT, he wuz a purty good-lookin' fella, weren't he? ;D :D :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!