iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More woodwork projects

Started by Ianab, September 06, 2005, 04:20:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Not been doing much sawing over the winter here  :(
But I have been pottering around doing some building, fish tank stands this time. Most of the fish tank stands you can buy are black MDF things.. pretty ugly by any standards.
The first one here is low one for a 3ft long tank, based on the blanket chests I have build, but with a solid top and doors on the front.

Current one is for Lil's mum, just a small tank but will have larger storage underneath and a light hood / shelf above it. Still plenty more work to do on it, but it's not going to fall apart any time soon. Yes thats 6x2's for the centre supports and the 4x1s making up the sides and back are all structural members  ;D

I guess I should actually sit down and draw some plans one day  ::)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Patty

Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Part_Timer

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Quartlow

Quote from: Ianab on September 06, 2005, 04:20:36 AM

I guess I should actually sit down and draw some plans one day  ::)

Plans? what are plans?

Looking good Ian
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Tom

I wish I could build something that looks as finished as your projects.   That's a pretty neat looking stand/table in anybody's book. :)

What's the wood?  Where did it come from?

Ianab

QuoteWhat's the wood?  Where did it come from?

Monterey cyress, Cupressus macrocarpa. Although it's an American tree I believe it's rare in it's native range and not harvested for timber. It's been grown here for years as shelter trees on farms so there are thousands of big gnarley old trees around the countryside. It's a real lottery what you will find inside each one of course  ::) I've got a another dozen trees I can have if I can get em out of the gulley, but I do have a plan for this summer ;) The wood is easy to saw, easy to air dry, good to work and finishes nicely too. It's a little soft for some uses and does tend to split, but I can live with that.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=9148.0
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

pasbuild

I just finished a coffee table and end table set for a client that changes her furniture bi annually, I just love it when people throw there money around like that  :)

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Ianab

More progress - it's starting to look like something now  :D

The shelves are single pieces of timber 38mm thick - over engineered? possibly... going to fall apart?... not is this lifetime  ;)

The access cover will be held in place by some magnet catches, lights will be mounted below the top shelf and the small shelf at the back is for the air pumps etc.

Still got some doors etc to build but it's coming together nicely.

Ian

Furby

Who needs plans eh?
Looking good alright! 8)

isawlogs

Plans ,   I think you got the best one to use , the plans is ... Just do it
Those are really good looking , Almost makes me want to get a fish tank , just to build one like that .  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Larry

Didn't know what to think from the first pic's but now it's taking shape and looking good Ian. :)  Keep the pictures coming.

Cool wood pasbuild. 8)  Is it spalted maple?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ernie

Ian

You're a true craftsman.

At school we had to draw plans for anything we made, the best way was to make it, measure it, and draw the plans.  Always very accurate ;) ;)
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

pigman

Good looking project Ian. smiley_thumbsup  On my next project  I am going to try your method of building without plans. The bed I am working on now took more time in drawing the plans than it will take to build. Of course I am slow at everything. ::) Maybe I should use Ernie's method and build then draw plans. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Brian_Bailey

Nice work Ianab and pasbuild!

Well I'll be, you're suppose to follow the plans??  :D :D
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

pasbuild

Yup spalted Maple with curly maple on the edges. Iv had my camera for a couple of years and STILL can't get good pics out of it, not the cameras fault  :-\ :'(
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Jodi

Ianab

A quiet weekend giving me a chance to catch up on a few projects  ;)

Got the fish tank stand pretty much finished.  :)

Close up of the solid top, came up nice.

Cheers

Ian

Burlkraft

Ian,

That's some beautiful work there. Good job..........Where's the fish while this is all going on smiley_huh2 smiley_huh2 smiley_huh2 smiley_huh2
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Part_Timer

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

tnlogger

gene

Ianab

QuoteWhere's the fish while this is all going on

Dont worry... Fish tanks are like routers.. one is never enough. The fish are doing their thing in another tank. They must like it, we put 17 in and now there are 21 :D

Of course taking their pictue is a whole other challange.. talk about hyperactive  :D

Ian

And in case you cant see it... a closeup. Got a bit of growing to do before he's a trophy catch. He's about 1/4" long

Thank You Sponsors!