iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ethanol and chainsaws

Started by DouginUtah, September 05, 2005, 09:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DouginUtah

On another forum the question was asked if the use of ethanol blended fuel is compatible with chainsaws. I don't recall seeing this discussed. Any problems with newer or older saws?

-Doug
Starting my fourth year as a member of the FF.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Lobo

Use non-ethanol 91 to 94 octane instead, in 2 cycle engines.

Ethanol and some of its additives are known to possibly break down or separate 2 cycle oils quickly. Even straight out in 4 cycle engines it has cost me a couple of carb rebuilds.  That stuff is junk for small 2 cycle engines, as well as bad for small 4 cycle units.

D._Frederick

Doug,

The two cycle engine's carburator's have diaphrams in them that the alcohal reacts with, requiring a carb overhaul.

To check for alcohal, get a test tube, fill it about 1/4 fill with water, mark the level with a grease pen, add gasoline. Hold your thumb over the end and shake, if the water level changes you have gas with alcohal in it.

StihlDoc

The blends of Ethanol with gasoline are much better than in the past. There is no longer as much problem with separation of oil from the mix and moisture causing problems. Most saws manufactured during the past 10 years have components that can withstand the normal amounts of ethanol found in today's gasoline. By following these rules you should be okay:

Use fresh fuel-try to use within 60 days.
Shake your fuel storage can every time you fill up your saw.
Use gasoline with a minimum of 89 octane ([R+M]/2).
Make sure your saw is adjusted properly for the fuel you are using. Ethanol/gasoline blends require slightly richer settings.
Empty the saw's fuel tank for prolonged storage (more than two months).

Thank You Sponsors!