iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

differences between swing blades

Started by lawyer_sawyer, September 05, 2005, 02:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakiemac

Lawyer Sawyer, John and anyone else that is in southern Michigan-

I'm not going to get into the debate because I don't know enough about the different swing blade mills. I do own and operate a Mobile Dimension saw that is a little different then swing blades but has some of the same advantages. My saw has three blades and can cut horizontally and vertically. I am in no way making a pitch for MD, but if anyone wants to take a road trip (I'm about 2 hours west of Ann Arbor) then I would certainly be willing to show you how my mill works.
Once again, I dont know if it is any better or worse then band mills or swing blade mill but it is a different way of doing things and is working for me. Just let me know if  you would like to come out and see it.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

DonE911

oakie.... so only the michigan guys are invited huh??   :D :D :D

Snakes:   I personally don't care about them as long as they are doing their job and not bothering my wife who is pet-ri-fied of them.  My oldest son will catch any snake he finds.... venom or not. I try to tell him how stupid that is, but I did the same thing when I was a kid.

crtreedude

Visiting a person who is experienced with a particular brand of saw is a great idea. One, you get to see the saw used by a person who knows what he is doing and you will also decide if it is really what you want to do.

A band mills is a little complicated for me (I know, I know, I can learn it) so the swing blades appeal - not that I wouldn't give a WoodMizer a good testing... ;-)

One thing that is clear from this thread is that what you are going to use it for is very important. So, perhaps also checking out the list of sawyers in your area might be a good idea and see if anyone of them is sawing the same kind of stuff you are planning on.

I want a swing blade for salvaging trees on the plantations - but I will probably end up with a bandsaw for smaller stuff when we starting doing thinnings. Since we have thousands of trees to process, it makes sense to have the right machine for the job.

Of course, I don't get to use any of this - my business partner has all the fun.  Harold is coming down to start cutting for us with the Peterson and to get himself established. Should be fun once he stops playing around in Florida...  ;)

Whatcha doing FDH - waiting for another hurricane???  ;D
So, how did I end up here anyway?

DonE911

FDH is just giv'n ya more time to grow your tree's ;D ;D

Fla._Deadheader

Just drove through San Jose, ALL day today, TWICE. People around Kissimmee and Disney drive just like San Jose people. I pulled a load (WAAYYY to big) of Pecky Cypress Beams back from Ellmoe's place.

Lets see, 212 linear ft of 6 X 12's = 1272 ft of WET beams. Then, it poured rain most of the way home. Trailer has no brakes  ::) ::) ::)  Thought Jeff might take notice of that.  ;D ;D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

oakiemac

Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Thank You Sponsors!