iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gotta set up my trapline in the basement

Started by SwampDonkey, September 04, 2005, 07:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Yup! As I am typing here on the 'puter I hear a squirrel in the basement. Gotta dig out the peanut butter and smear some on the rat trap. ;D

mmmmm deep fried squirrel  :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

gary

Be happy it's only a squirrel. I have a skunk that keeps coming around the house. We have never seen it only smelled it. Our dog has been outside when the thing sprayed twice now. The first time we tried washing her with tomato juice. We then had an orange dog that smelled like skunk. So I came here for advise and tried the peroxid recipe and that works good

SwampDonkey

gary, I get coons at night to, but I keep the cellar hole closed at night. I have skunks all summer digging at the lawn, but they don't get into anything. My mothers uncle used to catch the skunks in a conibear trap and he'd usually get 12 or more every fall off his lawn.  :o

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

karl

Posting pics like that could get the "Squirrel Huggers" knocking on your door ;)
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

SwampDonkey

Surely no worst than someone's deer kill draped over the talegate of the pickup. ;) ;D

pappy

Good on ya SD ya got em... 8) with a 88 more ya could make a fur coat...   ;D
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Engineer

SwampDonkey

Yeah, I just released the tree rat around 9:00 am this morning and I see the neighbor's cat has already eaten it.  :D

DanG

Wow!  That was quick. 8)

Sometimes, immediate action is called for, eh?  Wildlife inside of one's home is usually one of those times.  I once lived in an older house that wasn't built as tightly as it might have been.  One cold night, there came the awfullest racket you ever heard!  There was snarling, screaming, hissing, along with a whole lot of thrashing about and loud "thumping" noises, and it was INSIDE the house!  That sort of thing is unnerving at 11:30 on a Sunday night.  After several minutes of cautious investigation, I determined that the noise was coming from the void behind the bathtub, which was located right in the center of the house.  Apparently, an animal had discovered an entrance to this haven that had already been discovered by some other animal....I never did find out what they were.  Anyway, I had to do something, and I wasn't just about to crawl under the house and stick my head in there! :o :o  I was getting some serious pressure from the Lady of the house to seek a timely solution to the hidden conflict.  I know how Pres. Bush must feel when the Palestinians and the Israelis start kicking up the dust over there.  I decided that chemical warfare was the only viable solution, so I dumped a quart of ammonia and some bleach into the garden sprayer, along with whatever was already in there.  I drilled a hole in the wall, down in the corner of an adjacent closet, and emptied the contents of the sprayer into the arena.  By this time, the combatants were in about round 14 of the scheduled 15 rounder, and the thrashing about was becoming slower, but there was still quite a bit of activity.  I was beginning to dread the prospect of ripping out part of the floor or wall to remove the casualties.  Fortunately, my little WMD worked, and I was able to effect a regime change in the region.  There was one more flurry of motion as the weary warriors scrambled for the exit.  Then there was silence, except for the moaning and crying coming from atop the dining table.  Silencing that was a bit more challenging, and took a lot longer. :-\ ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

woodbowl

Now I know why the water in my sharpener is always missing!  >:( The squrr..................how do you spell skwirl? Anyhow they drunk it all up! When I sharpen every night and have to fill up the pan, I know some varment has been there. Now that I think about it, I don't remember having this problem when I mixed WM antifreeze grinding coolant with it.  smiley_headscratch Hmmmmmmmm................don't remember having varments neither! ;D ;D
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Rockn H

sssshhhhhh, PETA will hear y'all and then will have to move the Forum. ;D ::)

Ernie

Just don't take a leaf out of rat killing book :(

Had a rat in the ceiling gnawing in the corner, when his pink nose appeared, I slid my .22 quietlly up the corner and placed a nice head shot.  OOPS, it fell down in the wall cavity and stunk for months >:( >:(
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

leweee

Quote from: Ernie on September 04, 2005, 04:57:03 PM
Just don't take a leaf out of rat killing book :(

Had a rat in the ceiling gnawing in the corner, when his pink nose appeared, I slid my .22 quietlly up the corner and placed a nice head shot.  OOPS, it fell down in the wall cavity and stunk for months >:( >:(

you could be a redneck hunter ,if you have shot varmits indoors :o ::) :D :)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

woodbowl

That ain't redneck...............that's just the truth.  ::) ::)
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

ARKANSAWYER

How about this!

ARKANSAWYER

Minnesota_boy

If you caught that in your basement, you need to close up some holes!  :D :D :o
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

HORSELOGGER

Wow , this is something new! I have heard of catch and release fishing, but did not realize it ha moved to the hunting crowd as well :o
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

Furby

:D :D :D :D

Had a woodchuck living in my basement a couple years ago, had to relocate him after he burried my stairs. ::)

ARKANSAWYER

Nope!  it is not hard for any thing to get under our house.  We got no basement.   But if the house ever falls down there is no telling how many dogs will die.  We'd just move to the other side of the farm till the smell fades.
   There is nothing that makes you madder then to go out to the hawg trap looking for a good boar and find that little buck in there.  So we throwed him out and rebaited.
   You know them tree rats go good with dumplings.  Tree rat season opens Saturday and LBJ is ready to go bust them up. 
ARKANSAWYER

Jeff

We have something taken up residence in our attic. I noticed an eave vent knocked out over the back door.  I'm betting chipmonk/groundsquirrel or what ever you call them. I wonder if just a big rat trap would work on them?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Furby

Sorry Jeff, but that don't sound right.
Betting possum or coon, how big is the opening?

Jeff

About 1.5 inches wide and 8 inches long.  :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Rat traps work for woodpeckers peckin on the house, and I suspect for those flying squirrels too.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!