iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

American tree farm system

Started by craigc90, September 03, 2005, 11:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

craigc90

I am now a certied tree farm.  ;D ;D ;D ;D I have not been on for a while since I sold my mill. I just felt like dropping in to see what was new and brag.

Tom

Well, What's been keepin' you?    Now you have no excuse., Tree farmer and all.  ;D 8)

WV_hillbilly

I don't know Tom  but he is teasing me with    "  I'll pile some logs  up and you can bring the mill back to do some sawing ."   . Kinda like a going home party  for the mill. 
Hillbilly

Ron Scott

Congratulations on your Tree Farm Certification. A good program for the forest landowner.
~Ron

craigc90

Tom the weather is starting to cool down and I get back into firewood mode it makes me think about the forestry forum. Ill be surfing in more often.
  Dan(Wv_hillbilly) since I sold the mill I have been cutting all my small sawlogs into firewood it dont seem fair to drag you up here for 2 or 3 logs. So I whacked em up.I hope the mill is working out good for you.I dont think I could have found a better home for her. ;D
    Ron I think the tree farm system is the best thing going I am proud of my certification I have been a pioneer tree farm for 5 years and Friday I got my sign we  have a very good state forester in our area and he is on the board of our local forestry association(East Central Ohio Forestry Association)I think its the best thing my taxes help pay for besides fire protection.

WV_hillbilly

How rude of me .    :-[     Congrats Craig on becoming certified .   8)   Does that make the property taxes easier on the wallet . I have been thinking about that cause the lots are getting so expensive around here . I don't mind paying my fair share but  I think I may have to go this route if it does ease the taxes  on my property .

The mill has been  working good  . I just finished up  a 3500 bd/ft  custom job for a farmer . The best part was takin the mill and cash home but  leaving everything else there . Some of the boards were 8/4 x 12" x 16'5"  red oak he cut down the day before I got there .   
Hillbilly

craigc90

Dan I am not sure about Belmont county but most counties in Ohio you can apply for CAUV (current agriculture use value)  if you have a current timber management plan from a state or private forestry consultant. Which is a large tax break. If you have forest land I would look into it .Did I mention its free ;D.Call your local extension office or check out the American Tree Farm System web site it has contact phone numbers and so does odnr forestry web site.

WV_hillbilly

Thanks Craig   

I'll have to look into it .  It's only 14 1/2  acres  of trees and hills , but I get taxed on it like it is flat as can be and  all buildable .      lots are going for $10 K  to  $ 50K  per acre  around me .
Hillbilly

Phorester

Tree Farm Certification is an award for doing a good job managing your forestland.  (Congratulations, CRAIG!) It does not help on your real estate taxes in any State as far as I know.  To be a certified Tree Farmer, you have to have a minimium of 10 acres of forestland, have to have a management plan prepared by a professional forester, and have to have implemented a few of the recommendations in the plan.

There is a Land Use Tax program available in some States that some of the posters are talking about.  Putting your forestland in this category will usually lower your real estate taxes.  Every State can run this however they want.  Here in Virginia, it is a State level program offered to each county.  A county can adopt it or not.  There are three categories:  agricultural, forest, and horticultural.  For the counties that choose to offer the Land Use Tax for their landowners, for Forestland Use you have to have a minimum of 20 contigious acres of forest, and have a management plan.  The plan has to be updated every 10 years.

Again, there is no connection between the Tree Farm program and real estate taxes.   One doesn't help the other.

Frank_Pender

Welcome back Craig and to the Tree Farm Association.  I have picked up some great tidbits of knowledge from being a member for the last 20 years. 8)
Frank Pender

maple flats

Congrats. I too have been working on becoming a certified tree farm. Takes some time! I have the written stewardship plan, prepared by a professional forester and have started following it over the last year and a half. Will get an inspection for progress this fall or early winter. Hopefully I will qualify at that time.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

craigc90

Phorester
    Yes you are right. I dont want it to sound like the tree farm status gave me a tax break it is completely seperate. Both are very good options for woodland owners.

craigc90

Maple Flats
   It is a great feeling to go out and do some tree stand improvement and watch it for a couple of years and see what you did help your forest. I dont know how someone can own woodlands and not work on their investment.

Texas Ranger

Here in Texas being a Certified Tree Farmer is one step in getting an Ag exemption for raising timber.  Can reduce the ad valoram tax from well over $100 an acre per year to around $7 per acre per year.   

Requires a managment plan (included in certification), and a number of other things like membership in organizations that promote timber, and a history of timber work/production.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

redpowerd

maple flats, what are the criteria for a farm in ny? i have had a forest stewardship plan active on 43+/_ acres since 99. from their website, i see they inspect every 5 years.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Thank You Sponsors!