iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What happened to this country?

Started by fstedy, September 03, 2005, 12:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fstedy

>:( >:( :o :o :-[ :-[ This video link I just saw was very disturbing. What has happened to our sense of right and wrong, I can see the people of NO taking life essentials but what goes on here is outrageous. Take a look at it and have your eyes opened.  :-[ :-[ :o :o >:( >:(

LINK DELETED
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

beenthere

Disgusting for sure. But put ones'self in the position of growing up on welfare, being fed and clothed and housed for years. Then a storm comes and wipes these supports away and you start feeling abandoned, and the pressure to get what you want takes over, but your competition doesn't accept you taking it from them.  So violence breaks out, and there is no one with a gun barrel at your head to tell you it aint gonna happen. How would we cope with that situation?  I don't know and don't wanta find out either.
I don't like it one bit, but we watch the able-bodied ner-do-wells sit by doing nothing for themselves (hey get a shovel and a broom and clean the place up would at least be doing something!) and the swat teams shown riding around with 12 'guards' in one vehicle......

All that are trapped in NO are not worthless, IMO, and need a way out. It won't happen overnight.

My BIL has an apartment (2nd floor) in the French Quarter, as well as a home in Hattiesburg, MS.  He left NO on Sat. and went to Hattiesburg, filling up with gas, stocking groceries, and being DanG scared when the storm hit. Lost a roof and garage and all utilities. A friend had power so he has been there since the storm. No word from him until this morning when he called to say he was okay, and it was the first phone call he could make. He is taking extra sheets and towels and housekeeping things to the Center to give to those who are without. And he has been working all week cleaning up downed trees in his neighborhood. Actually having a good time getting to know other people around him better.

As to "what happened to this country?" question, the potential for trouble like this has been there all along, I think. The conditions haven't been right for trouble, but those conditions are right now.  People, and especially me, would not want, nor tolerate, being herded around like cattle or pigs. No DanG way anyone would have coaxed me into that SuperDome with all those people. I would have hung onto a lamp post and taken my chances outside first (that is if I didn't have a way to get out of town before it hit...). 

Seems we can take this in stride, and not 'blame' anyone but Katrina, except 'she' has shown us we have a 'weak' spot to address in the future. Hopefully some 'mentality' to do things for oneself instead of the 'welfare' way will be generated from this. I expect not, but I do have hope.

As for rebuilding NO, I think it will happen only if the tourists go there and spend their money to either partake or to see the 'rebuilding' if it happens. Without the tourist dollar, it won't be rebuilt just for living and housing welfare people, IMO.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Furby

It's a good thing I'm on limited internet access right now because I'm REALLY PO!
I watched Night Line last night, and almost every thing I saw was, "why aren't they taking care of me" " I'm supposed to be in a shelter, this is a H*!! hole" and " I would be better off in my home then out here". Uh lady.......YOUR HOME IS TOTALLY GONE!!!

DanG, these people need to get a clue!!!!
One woman was complaining about no buses coming to pick them up. I'm yelling into the TV for her to get off her sorry butt and start walking!!!

Even the congress man was saying where's the food from the feds that WE promised these people.
Heck it was the local people in charge that made the call for them to go to the Dome and promised them food, assuming the feds would cover their butts.

DanG

Furb, was that the woman that had a child with a burn on his hand?  She ticked me off, too.  Young, and able-bodied, she waited at home for 2 days before the storm, for Social Services to send a car around and take her sorry self to the shelter.  Now she's complaining again that the Gov't isn't taking good enough care of her.

I get the notion that some of you are getting your first glimpse of what we have put up with down here since Lyndon Johnson created the "Great Society."

I just can't believe that humans can be that helpless.  I'm just glad we don't have smellovision!  Have these people not heard of buckets?  They could have dipped water out of the street to flush those toilets, or at least used the buckets for potties and hauled it outside!

All the while, Jesse Jackson is standing there in his thousand dollar suit waving his race card around.  >:(
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

mike_van

I have not heard one person in N.O. say " I've lost my job"   
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Gilman

I think a good portion of these helpless victims need to watch some of the Kennedy speeches, and listen.

I really feed bad for those that are helpless victims though.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

fstedy

My main problem with this clip was the police officers ( who were probally being paid to help with the rescue operations ) in a Walmart STEALING private property they are bound to protect. I feel sorry for the thousands of displaced people placed in a  desperate situation. Many of them have lived off the system for so long they don't know how to fend for themselves. If I lived in a flood and Hurricane prone area I certainly would have emergency provisions in place for my family.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Arthur

fstedy got it right.  If you live in a naure prone area its your OWN responsibility to make sure you are prepared for what may happen.

We get flooded at least 3 or 4 times a year and can be isolated for a number of weeks with no power or contact with those outside the area.  We do not have shops the only facility being the bush fire service.

I am currently raising funds for an emergency heliport on our property as we have the only area large enough with clear access for the bigger helicopters so we will be able to safely rescue medical emergncies.

Most of us have our own generators and store two to three weeks of food and fuel supplies.  Those who get stuck are the new who havent listened to the locals about what is needed.  We do however all club together and help each other and normally just get on with life.

The most dangerous and terrifying event here is the bush fires, stand or run depends on how close the fire is to you and what precausions you have taken.  The heat from the fires and the flamability of the native trees is something that needs to be seen to know how terrifying it is.

I feel sorry for those who rely on officials to help but the officials should realy be teaching what to do to protect yourself not planning on how do the body count.

arthur

Rockn H

Did any body see Kayne West.  He was the one scaring Mike Myers last night on the benefit concert.  Because of him they couldn't even air it on the west coast last night.  Yeah, that really helped "his people". >:(

Tom

Is that what that guy's name is?   I was really upset that I wouldn't be able to forget it if I didn't know it.   Now I'm going to go to my forgetting chair and make him go away. ;D  Both of them maybe. :)

Rockn H

I'm sorry Tom. :)  They were just showing the not edited enough for me version, and his name was on the screen when they came on.  I had to do a search myself to figure out who this genius was. >:(

Tom

I wonder if he's ever been hurt real bad before?   :D

Tom

Oops!   I didn't mean to say that.  :-\

J_T

You can't teach anybody that refuses to want to learn. We always keep a couple mounts of food on hand quart jars work good and some froze some dried Got our own well and I can get water with out electric and have lots of amo so I can keep it  8) From my experence with the government I would starve waiting on them In good times it can take four hours to get a cop out here an when it snows good luck on most roads .What happens when the squerels don't store nuts ??? Knew a man once that watched his neighbor piling up fire wood in July he was sitting in the shade then in January went and ask the old man if he could borrow some wood . Think that old man repented the rest of that year for what he told that guy :D :D
Jim Holloway

Bibbyman

Quote from: DanG on September 03, 2005, 02:32:21 PM

I just can't believe that humans can be that helpless.  I'm just glad we don't have smellovision!  Have these people not heard of buckets?  They could have dipped water out of the street to flush those toilets, or at least used the buckets for potties and hauled it outside!

DanG right! 

As I watched the scenes from the Super Dome the last few days,  I had the same thought in the back of my mind.  Looks like it would be a natural instinct to keep one's nest clean. 

We were watching Fox News yesterday and they were saying that everyone had left the Super Dome except a small group of Vietnamese that had huddled together.   They panned the cameras across them camped out under an overhang.  Said they refused to leave until everyone else had gone.  "They didn't want to get in the way."  When they panned back across the group of maybe 100 people,  I noted to Mary, "Look how their area is clean."  All around them were mounds of the debris left by the others.

Of the people being evacuated, it looked to me like there was about a third that needed help, another third that could find for themselves if food, water and shelter was made available, and another third that should be saying "How can I help." 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

SwampDonkey

Yeah, Mike Myers is the International man of mystery. ;D

His movies are a mockery of the 007 movies.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Faron

Friday night I was watching Fox coverage.   Shephard Smith had been on the scene since before the hurricane hit.  He seemed to me to be on the verge of becoming mentally inhinged.  He unleashed a barrage of complaint about the lack of action in the area he was in, the I 10.  He had no way to know what was really being done, nor the tremendous obsticles that have to be overcome in order to get the job done OUTSIDE NO.  I think he was too close to the story, and had no way to maintain any sense of perspective.  Next up was Geraldo Revaria  He had arrived at the convention center that day from NY.  He unleased an emotional tiraide, crying and carrying on, and of course HE knew exactly what the feds needed to do to help the situition.  In my mind, all Geraldo was trying to do was cut a bigger shine and grab the spotlight from Smith.  Both were examples of lousy reporting, I think, but I felt sorry for Smith.  I just wanted to put a boot up Geraldo's rear. 
        Another report featured a 16 year old boy from NO.  He managed to liberate a school bus from a school parking lot.  HE picked up passengers intil he loaded the bus, then drove that sucker to Houston.  He said he had never driven a bus before, just drove slow and learned as he went.  The passengers pooled their money, and bought fuel along the way. Imagine!  They rescued themselves!  That brings up a question for the NO Mayor, and the leaders of the school system.  Why weren't those school busses loaded with people and driven out of harm's way before the storm hit?  That would have gotten thousands more out, and saved the school system's bus fleet to boot.
   Finally, a caravan of power company trucks left Evansville, IN for the hurricane area.  In Mississippi, they were unable to buy fuel, and ran out before reaching the work area.  A fuel tanker had to be sent from Evansville to supply them.  I offer that as an example of how nothing goes as planned in these situations, and the simplest task takes much longer than it ought to.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

mike_van

I did get a charge out of Anderson Cooper telling some senator "these people don't want to hear you politicians congratulating each other" as she was saying "I want to thank  this gov. & this sen. & this mayor, & on & on."    Faron, good call on    Geraldo Riveria - what a horse's butt.

karl

I don't know if I can even express my disgust with that Kanye(sp) A HOLE without being deleted! I'd like to drop him right in the middle of the mess and let him learn a few life lessons with the rest of his "homies" that have never made a real effort to be independant and take care of their own needs and those of their families. No, I am not being racist- I include anyone and everyone who uses the "system" to cruise through life without doing an honest days work or looking out for those that CAN'T pull their own plow. I WILL admit to hating rap" music ", and can't see what it or all the "bling bling "these morons collect contributes to society.

I am totally fed up with the mindset that the government will provide. Get off your ass and find an honest way to contribute to your life and the lives of those around you!!!!! If you want to use the government (and my tax dollars) use it to get an education and use IT to contribute.!!!

I am very sorry for those who need help(anywhere), especially kids. I want to help them, I DON'T want one G-D nichol going to lazy people that won't even try to help themselves.
I hadn't heard about the young fella taking the bus- if it is true, he is a hero in my view. I am sure there are many who are using their heads and will to help themselves and others- crime and stupidity makes for "better" news coverage though.

If you need food/water/clothes for your family, I have no problem with your liberating it, if your after a bigscreen TV-your body should be found right next to the SOB's that were shooting at cops and rescue people.

How come we hear how screwed NO is so much more than the surrounding area? Yes, the governments(local, state, fed) knew there was a problem waiting to happen and stalled on dealing with it- now there is a much bigger price to pay, another reason for individuals and families and communities to work together for their own good.
IT IS  TIME TO START TAKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR BEING A HUMAN BEING AND STOP EXPECTING TO BE TAKEN CARE OF BY YOUR GOVERNMENT.

I'd better go now......
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

beenthere

Good insight, and I too, have a problem with the pic of the busses sitting in the water. Give one to everyone who would drive it out of there (the bus drivers probably wouldn't do it).

About the power company trucks leaving Indiana, -- why would they not plan to take all their supplies with them??  They had to know there was a fuel shortage from the news. But guess they had to drive til the tank was empty to find it out for themselves.  duh!  they just add themselves to the pool.  Wonder if they took their 'lunch'? :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Haytrader

::)

karl,

Why don't you quit beatin around the bush and say what's really on yer mind?

;)

I posted earlier somwhere about the same remedy for the looters.

We all know there are some good people down there among the rats, they just don't seem to get a TV camera pointed at them. Negative news must captivate more viewers.........yeah right.
I'd rather watch a bad commercial than watch a swamp rat cry and complain because "we" won't meet all his needs as fast as he would like.
I better go now too.
Haytrader

mike_van

Some of our line guys from CL&P left yesterday for the south, took along a tanker truck with deisel fuel.  1400 miles, they hoped to get fuel on the way & save the tanker for work area. 

DonE911

Dang it... I had this big response written out and lost it before posting.....

here goes again but shorter.

I think we are all upset over these so called "poor" peoples response to help themselves.  The able bodied have no legit reason for not walking thier lazy butts out of the city.  I know its a city, but its a geographically small city.  Even having to wade, they would be out of there in less than one day.  Lots of people did it.  

The media wants to make it an issue of the poor or the colored and I can't believe that the tax payers of this country are buying it.  There are plenty of people that phisically can not get out, those with water up to the roof need to be rescued, but if the water doesn't reach your waist you don't need to be rescued..... walk yourself to the supplies instead of insisting someone bring it to you.

The looting just shows what type of people they are.  If you need food or water please take what you need..... I'm sure that the goods other than clothing are useless right now.  

What are "we the people" going to do about this type of thing when the recovery actually begins?  The welfare system needs to be changed.  There will be enough work for every "lazy wont work" person in that city and every other when these areas begin to rebuild.  The Government will throw money at this reconstruction to contractors from all over.  

I think ( hopefully not just me ) that no contractor should get a contract without hiring a significant portion of unemployed and putting them to work on the project.  Lets not leave these hundreds of thousands on welfare.  There was a time in this country when the unemployed didn't eat.  In those times this country became a Superpower and not a super welfare state.  

All those country's that have been on the US welfare ( call it aid if you want ) need to step up and help us now.  If they can not physically help us then we will help you help us.  We will hold on to those Aid dollars and apply them inside our own country.  

OK I hear my soapbox beginning to crack, I guess I gotta get down now. >:(

DanG

One simple solution to avoid this problem in the future:

New Orleans will be rebuilt.  That's a given.  They should not rebuild the Welfare office.  Make it such that if you can't afford it, you simply cannot live there. End of problem.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

J_T

DanG I think they got that fixed already se e they fast on somethings 8) Yep they sent them to Texas even some to Tennessee  :D :D Dont you need a housing project for 10,0000000 nex door ???
Jim Holloway

Thank You Sponsors!