iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This may be beatin' a dead horse but....

Started by chet, September 02, 2005, 10:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

Have current fuel prices affected the amount of fuel you are now using? These prices have defiantly changed some of my habits.   :'(  I have no choice I just can't afford it.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jason_WI

I know one thing is for sure that my dad isn't going to work the fields this fall after harvesting. This is going to finish off the farmers that were hanging on by a thread. And they are talking 12 dollar milk again........ no matter how sharp your pencil is it dont figgure out. Simply can't exist.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Coot

I here yea on the one brother i have a 8cyl sb chevy thats got a few go parts and i am only gettin 11mpg which is just terible and i am in my truck from sun up to sun down  and to top that we pay 2.00 per litre instead of 2 to 4 a gallon , its just hard to do anything whats next have to call the boss man in and tell him u cant make it to work cause ur trucks got no fuel.

just rediculus :'(

DanG

Just heard on the news:  Florida's Governor has just called a special session of the State Legislature to get a moratorium on the State tax on fuel.  He did this last year during the storms and it helped.  Along with the package comes a severe penalty for price gouging.

Y'all talk to your local politicos!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

I wont be going to logging congress, we didnt go this weekend to the escanaba engine show like we have the past two years.  Gas pricrs isnt the only reason, but was the deciding factor.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

pigman

I have been walking to work the last two days instead of riding the ATV. :( That  150 meter walk is killing me. :'(
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Tom

I've set the mill up in the front yard and figure to only be cutting my own stuff since I'm not zoned for a mill.

Surrounding towns will have to get their own sawmill, I guess.  I told the supplier north of here that I liked to buy where I worked, but I can get diesel cheaper at home.  He said "pass it on"   I said, "I won't do it."

If someone really wants me to saw, they will have to volunteer the fuel.  I'm not passing on this rediculousness.

Paschale

Someone asked this question about a half year ago, and I said at the time that gas prices wouldn't change what I did, but now, it definitely is effecting me.  I was going to take a trip to Chicago next week that isn't happening now because of the gas price, and I will definitely rethink those random trips to run up to the store from time to time.   ::)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Ron Wenrich

I've never done a whole lot of unnecessary driving, so it doesn't effect me that much.   I also have always had economy model cars and trucks.  The Saturn gets about 35 mpg and the Toyota pickup gets about 22.  Gas milage has always been a factor for me.

But, I have started to rearrange my mutual funds.  I don't see anything to support markets in the near term.  There will be some pretty steep increases in the price of lumber, but that will only cool off building in other areas.  I doubt if people will start building smaller houses.  There's been a tremendous amount of wealth lost.

I'm also redirecting my thoughts on solar collectors.  I think there is going to be a good market for them in the near future.   
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

mike_van

Theres a huge flea market 20 miles from me, I used to enjoy a few Sunday mornings there for a few hours.  Gonna be a long time before I go back.  I live on whats become a major tourist road, US Rt. 7,  it will be interesting to see if the Labor Day  weekend traffic is less than normal, usually it's endless.  I'll let you know Mon. night.   
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Cedarman

Simply put, short term supply has outstripped demand.  The best way to ration the fuel is by price.  Raising prices puts some buyers out of the martket and causes others to rearrange their driving priorities. Putting a price freeze in would just create long lines and out of fuel signs.

If the people in the US drop demand by 10 to 15 per cent, then supply will again outstrip demand and the price will fall.

I do not think lumber prices will rise that much, maybe short term, but there is going to be a gazillion feet of salvage wood come on the market in the next few months to a year to counteract the big building demand.  The only problem may be the lack of production facilities that would creat a bottle neck.

And YUP, we have cut driving to a minimum and I am glad I helped my college daughter buy a fuel effiecient car 3 weeks ago.
Won't be any 80 mile round trip to just go out and eat for a good bit.

I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

redpowerd

fuel used to be included in the price of my custom harvesting and tillage. not anymore. i adjusted my rates and make the farmers fuel the equipment. this is more of a result of the extreme day to day price fluxuations.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

DR_Buck

The price of fuel is outrageous and I hate paying it.  Even accepting the logic of "passing on" the cost, or if you can afford to pay without passing it on,  the bigger issue is going to be getting fuel.   My biggest fear is being out of fuel and not being able to find any.   Some stations around here are closing because they are out of fuel.    Wife and I carpool 80 miles round trip to the office.   It's now costing us between $12 -$15 per day to commute.  Painful, but we can still pay.   But what happens when we can't get fuel to go to work?

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

redpowerd

wonder how the bicycle market is fairing?

or get in good graces with your local farrier, blacksmith, and stagecoach builder :D

its also a good thing we kept our vast railroad network up to date ::)
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Dana

Yesterday I needed off road diesel for a second cutting of hay. I called our supplier who said I could only have 100 gal. due to rationing. Seems they get their fuel from Shell and Marathon and they wwere holding back the fuel for their own customers and service stations. I called another supplier who said that I could get all I need and they were 9 cents cheaper ($2.499)
so of course I ordered from them. Later in the day the other supplier called and said they could get all I need but their price was still higher.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Larry

So...are the high gas prices the trigger for a deep recession?  Appears to me most everybody is hurting now.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Bibbyman

I've been walking to work for the past two months.   8)

But fuel prices were something I was considering when I took early retirement.  The 60 mile per day round trip sure added up.

We had a couple of reasons why we thought we were not going to get to go the pig roast last August.  But one consideration was the gas prices and other costs.  When we found out we could go we went.  I knew it'd cost another $20 in gas but that was marginal compared to what we didn't make by staying home and sawing.

We're thinking about a trip down to the southwest part of MO. and have been putting it off until later in the month when fuel prices typically come down.  We'll see.  

PS.  Sure glad we have an electric mill and edger and saw stationary.  We still have to have fuel for the tractor and loader.  Go through about 50 gallons per month.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ARKANSAWYER

Been sawing just 10 miles from home down on the Buffalo River.  It cost me $12 to $14 a day for the mill for fuel and about $5.00 for the truck.   Rates are going to have to go up.  Had a guy call last night for a mobile job and I told him my rates had gone up to $250 mbdft and $25 for setup and he said that the logs could just lay there and rot as that was to much!  Lumber prices in the stores will have to increase which they will before my demand comes back up.  I can saw what I  have at home and get by for a few weeks till this all adjusts out.  Have not been able to close on my land because of a old judgement agin it so portable I will have to stay for some time.  Wish I could just plug in and sit at home like Bibbyman.
  Normally go on a big catfishing trip this week end but not this year.  I will not burn the fuel and pay $3+ for it.   Since I own my own home and raise alot of our food the fuel price is the one way they can get to me fast as I depend on it every day to make a living.
  When they start the rebuilding down south the demand for building materials will increase and go up just like after last years storms.  Maybe I can go down there and work as they are going to need labor that is not trying to repair thier own home and life.
  I guess we know where we are  weak at now and how to get to us for sure.
ARKANSAWYER

DanG

It isn't just fuel, either.  New Orleans is the second busiest port in the US.  Gulfport was quite active, too.  Most of the bananas came into there, and that facility is GONE.  Lots of other things came through there, too.  All of those things will be scarce until the shipping companies can ramp up at other ports.  I'm sure that Tampa, Jacksonville, Savannah, and other Southern ports will be overwhelmed for a while.

To add to the fuel problem, I-10 is partially destroyed.  It will be many months before it will be open, so all the ground traffic will have to take longer routes.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Haytrader

Speaking of building material.
;)
A SIL works in the home office of a small company that has 18 lumber yards.
She says it is almost impossible to buy any 4x8 sheets of anything right now.
I"ll bet the places that make wafer board and plywood are runnin full tilt.
Haytrader

woodbeard

Yeah, and just when the price of sheet goods had finally come back down again. :(

Furby

I was planning a pretty big UP tour this weekend, but cancelled it largely because of the gas situation.
Also decided to close the place at the lake up for the winter this weekend so we don't need to make another trip up for that.

sprucebunny

My woodlot is 60 miles away. It's my job  :o I have my camper there and am staying 2 nights at a time to save fuel. Got to get a move on and move there.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Don P

I have 2 eight cylinder p-ups and one 6 cyl ranger for work and my wifes little 4 cyl runabout car. work is 27 miles thru the mountains each way right now. The 2 larger trucks and trailer are parked at the job right now for lumberyard runs and we're driving the little ones for the commute. This does sound like a good reason not to mow for the rest of the year  :). I put $100 of diesel in the Lull lift last week...that should be enough for a hi rise job normally. Sure glad I'm doing this house on T&M and not a bid!

maple flats

I just bought a little electric powered vehicle this week. Only goes 13 mph but plan to drive it to work weather permitting (2.5mi x 4/day). Should save me about $20 in gas a week at current price ($3.49.9/gal) As price goes up I may even drive it in less than good weather. Just plug it in to recharge, has about a 50 mile range/charge. My mill still needs gas. I bought enough to do about 3000bf at $2.99.9/gal earlier in the week. After that I will have the customer pay for the gas used but will not use their gas unless I can't get any. I do not want any dirty, contaminated, stale or other problem gas in my mill. Would rather let it set idle until things settle down, whenever that is. Sure wish I had filled my farm diesel tank earlier this summer, now it is empty and need to bite the bullet before price climbs even more or fuel is all not available at any price. During pruning in my blueberries I run an 11 hp generator and a pto powered chipper. Now I shut each off when not in use instead of running both all the time. :'( smiley_dizzy smiley_grin_earmuff smiley_biggrin01 smiley_furious3 smiley_furious3
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!