iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What we collect

Started by mike_van, September 02, 2005, 08:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

craigc90

Frank
  Thats funny I have bought jars full of marbles for the jar before :D. I empty the marbles out. I give them to my dad he collects marbles to. We live in the heart of marble making land. Akro Agate and Christensens and most of the old companies were within 50 to 100 hundred miles from me. every glass house in the valley made marbles at one time or another. People around Parkersburgh and Padden city dig the old glass house dumps and fill buckets.

Minnesota_boy

Quote from: Wildflower on September 05, 2005, 09:27:35 PM
Jeff and I share the logging collectables, but I also collect school buses, not the real ones but toys, tins, glasses, any thing to do with school buses.  :D
I even had the mechanics at work put up 2 shelves so I could put some school buses there.  ;D

Gee, I heard somewhere that Brer Noble had a little school bus that could have been a perfect minature museum to display those model school busses in and somebody turned down his offer.  :D :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Corley5

We've got a 32X130 pole barn full plus tractors stuck in various other buildings.  It's out of control ::)  I've got hay stacked outside because the hay barn is full of tractors.  Be very careful when collecting old iron ;)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Phorester

I haven't seen this mentioned, so I'll throw in that there's a friend of mine that collects license plates.

He has been collecting Virginia plates for decades, and has an almost complete collection of all the years.  VA started issuing plates in 1912.  Interesting that the first 2 years they were made of porcelin, not metal.   He tries to get a complete set of 2 for the years after VA started issuing 2 for each vehicle, for front and back.  Early years there was only one plate for each vehicle. 

Interesting the knowledge you can obtain by concentrating on collecting something like this for a long time.

Frank_Pender

Craig, I will pay the shipping, if you send the marbles my way next time. :D :D :D 8)
Frank Pender

Bro. Noble

Minnesota_boy,

That cute little school bus belongs to a neighbor of mine-------If it were mine,  I'd give it to Tammy.  They did talk a little about how they could get it home,  but that mean old Jeff wasn't thinking about a museum for Tammy.  He was wondering where he could get a 'Hemi' engine to put in it :D :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Furby

I think Jeff needs to take Tammy down here for this next year:
http://www.berlinraceway.com/news/r_060405.shtml
Haven't seen the races but got to see the buses afterwards :o ........it must have been a blast! ;D

They even have a "Chet" race:
http://www.berlinraceway.com/news/news_081005.shtml
;) :D

Teri

Furby... them busses are fun to watch!   8)

Furby

Based on what was left, I think it was more of a demo derby then a race.
I drove past there last week and a fellow was out painting one up again.
Thought maybe they were going to have a race over the weekend, but I didn't see it listed on their site.

Jeff

Its on the home page. THey are racing the buses agin on the 17th of september. We may have to go to that.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dan_Shade

Quote from: Phorester on September 06, 2005, 12:08:49 PM

I haven't seen this mentioned, so I'll throw in that there's a friend of mine that collects license plates.

He has been collecting Virginia plates for decades, and has an almost complete collection of all the years.  VA started issuing plates in 1912.  Interesting that the first 2 years they were made of porcelin, not metal.   He tries to get a complete set of 2 for the years after VA started issuing 2 for each vehicle, for front and back.  Early years there was only one plate for each vehicle. 

Interesting the knowledge you can obtain by concentrating on collecting something like this for a long time.

This isn't by chance an old guy that likes to talk a lot?  I got cornered by an older fellow at the quality farm and fleet off of route 7 in Winchester one day when I was actually in a hurry, he got to talking about how he was looking for plates, and then he went on about how his mother was from a family with money over in boyce, but somehow they lost all that, he musta covered more ground in talking in 5 minutes than any stranger I ever met!

I was in such a hurry, I almost gave him the plates off of my truck so I could get out of there!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Phorester

Nope, don't know that fella Dan.   Hope the rest of your trip was as eventful as your stop in Winchester.   ;D

Dan_Shade

heh, my folks live in inwood, WV.  I normally stop by that farm and fleet, or whatever it's called for misc junk I need like that when i'm heading in or out of town.

I didn't want to say he was crazy, because he may have been a friend of yours, but that guy was nuts!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

thecfarm

I collect postmarks and I use to collect stamps.Stopped collecting stamps in '97.I got into postmarks and have even made a few dollars on each hobby,Sold $2000 worth of stamps when I first met my wife.This was after she threated to "clean up my stamp room".She decided to leave the "cleaning" to me from then on.Even made about $500 on postmarks.My wife can't believe when I sell them.She starting to not call my hobbys junk.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

If we ever sold anything we might make money but then we'd wouldn't have our toys anymore.  I have suggested to Dad that maybe 7 H and 5 M Farmalls is a bit overboard and maybe we oughta thin them out but he didn't think that was a good idea ::)

jjmk98k

well, i used to collect WWII german rifles, till they got too expensive... ( anyone looking to buy some? I am going to sell off a few nice numbers matching ones)

Last year I started collecting old Coleman lanterns... I have near 200 lanterns and lamps, 30 stoves and 10 coolers. My oldest working lantern dated 1935 and works like a charm.....

I do believe I outbid someone here on one recently... a red coleman lantern on ebay that belonged to the Alberta Forest Service..... I wanted that one in a fierce way for my Canadian Coleman collection....

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Furby

Corley,
Need a:
1951 Farmall "Super C", NF, 12 X 36" tires, with snowplow & chains
Or how about:
1964 Massey Ferguson Mod. 35, WF, 3pt., 13.6 X 28" turf tires, Ser. # 248791
1948 McCormick IHC Mod. O-S-6, WF, new paint, 14.9X26" tires, new paint, Ser. # 23678W

Corley5

We've got a Super C but need a 230 to finish that series.  We've got Ferguson 40 and Dad and Grandpa used to have a 35 so that'd be  8) to have.  We've got a straight W-6 and that OS-6 would be great to have but it'll sell for a bunch.  I really need to collect some more barn space before we collect anymore tractors ;D ::) ;) :)

Teri

After packing everything up in this house I think we collect 1 of everything. I've never seen soooo much stuff!!!   :D

Jeff

Quote from: jjmk98k on September 07, 2005, 09:17:29 PM

I do believe I outbid someone here on one recently... a red coleman lantern on ebay that belonged to the Alberta Forest Service..... I wanted that one in a fierce way for my Canadian Coleman collection....

Yes, you certainly did.  :)

Furby

jjmk98k

jeez, seems like I am always on Jeffs bad side....  :-X

Sorry... but I wanted to go with mt Canadian Forest service lantern and my Canadian Railway lanterns....

it has a good home with me  8)
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Jeff

I loose 98% of what I bid on so its no biggy to me.

jjmk98k

well, i figured you were not hunting for it too bad since it didnt go real high...

Jim

Jeff

I bid on a lot of things I find interesting, but I am not the typical sniper type of ebay buyer.  If I see something I like, I say to myself for example "If that was ten bucks I would buy it".  Then I'll bid 8 and forget about it. If I win it, I get what I consider better then a good deal, and if I dont. well, it just doesnt make sense to me to chase something and possibly pay too much simply because you "want" it.  I have been know to pay to much because I "need" something though.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!