iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What we collect

Started by mike_van, September 02, 2005, 08:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_van

Brads thread about collecting old gas pumps [thats a new one]  got me wondering what everyone else collects -  Maybe some members have something someone else is just longing to have -  So, how about it? Whats everyone collect? [besides splinters]                                                               I collect old A.C. Gilbert Erector sets,  the first ones were made in 1913, and the traditional Erector ended in 1962.   I have about a dozen, all restored and inventoried he way they left the factory. Plus, about 200 lbs. of extra parts i've accumulated.  I build lots of models, makes me remember being 8 years old when I got my 1st one for Christmas [still have it too, 1959 one]  So, come on, fess up,  what else is  being collected? 
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Phorester

Caps, Boy Scout patches, pocket knives.  Just casual collecting, not formal in the sense of trying to get every type of something ever made.

In the last few years also collecting grey hairs, stiff muscles, wrinkles, ear and nose hair.

Haytrader

::)

Mike,

Show us what you are talkin about, please?
I, for one, have no clue.

:-\
Haytrader

breederman

old wooden moulding planes,wood levels and other old tools.Don't know anything ,just think they are cool and gives me a reason to check out junk shops when traveling
Together we got this !

Jeff

Um,  EVERYTHING  :D  Anything to do with saws and logging and forestry and sawmills and loggers and whatever. Dragsaws, old engines, dust, etc...

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=4573.0

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=8422.0

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mike_van

Sorry Haytrader - heres a small photo of one, about 25 pounds, from 1958, called the amusement park set, it built a parachute jump, merry go round, etc. You put the parts together with small screws & nuts, when you got tired of it, took it apart and built something else.  A.C. Gilbert called it "100 toys in one"
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Jeff

More to my list. ;D

Scale sticks
dynamite boxes and blating cap tins
axes
photos
Saw tools
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DouginUtah

I collect (American) woodworking magazines.

I have almost all of the woodworking magazines ever published (since 1970, with just a few exceptions)--probably less than ten people in the world who could match my collection.

Unfortunately, they are in boxes in storage, along with my General woodworking power tools. (At one time, up to a few years ago, I aspired to be a woodworker. When I got cancer my motivation disappeared (I blame it on the radiation!  :D)

-Doug
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Tom

you need to get a tin hat, Doug.  Arkansawyer uses one. :D

Life's experiences can certainly change ones perspective, goals and interests.  It's commonly known that those who have gone through open heart surgery are affected.  Divorce changed me.   I'm sure that your experience would be enough to make you look at the world differently.  It sure would me. :)

Quartlow

Hats, started out with my dad, he had a bunch of them, I probably have in excess of 500. only wear the duplicate ones.

planes, no not the ones ya fly in the ones you work wood with.
old tools in general. and New tools just because I GOTTA have it :D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

pasbuild

I'v been collecting a piece of wood were ever I go, had a BIG collection in my garage when it burnt down :(  Our youngest went to Hawaii on her honeymoon so I asked her to pick up a stick for me, she brought back a wooden ashtray that had a made in Philiepines lable on the back :D
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Bro. Noble

I used to have lots of hobbies,  collected stamps (still have them),  traded old guns till they got too high,  traded old engines till they got too high,  collected old tractors till they got too high.

Now I spend what little spare time I have playing pool,  reading flower magazines, and listining to quartet music :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

katie-did

I had a few things that I collected as a child but have never really collected anything of late and then the other day I decided to start collecting International Harvest things. My dad and part-timer's dad both spent many years working at the Fort Wayne Plant.
I lost my dad last year and I thought that would be a way to stay connected to him.
Have not got a piece yet except the things that my dad gave me as a kid but I hope to someday have a nice collection.
Part Timer's Boss & CFO smiley_angel01_halo

DanG

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jodi

Well, I have a big coin collection...most of them Swiss...I just started a spoon collection a couple weeks ago...and I have some interesting rocks. "Interesting rocks" may sound like an oxymoron, but there are some neat ones out there. That's about it.  ::)

Tom

Jodi,
Rocks make neat collections, especially if you have a polisher.  I've always wanted to do that.

brdmkr

Military surplus rifles, especially WWII era.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Paschale

I collect pint glasses from brewpubs that I find myself in when I travel.  It's the perfect thing to collect--I like what comes in the pint glasses,  :D and then I have glasses at home to use that have some meaning.  That's a total bachelor collecting thing--I know I'll have to thow 'em out if I ever get married.   :D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Tom_Averwater

I like to collect Guns. I used to collect money . That stopped 8 years ago when I got married . :D
He who dies with the most toys wins .

shopteacher

I use to collect unemployment when I was a steelworker. :D  Now I collect anything small enough to move without an overhead crane. ;D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

redpowerd

i too collect rocks. my collection is so large it needs to be kept outside, piled in hedgerows.

collecting driftwood in the fall from adk. resivoirs is rather enjoyable. the dams open up and reveal all sorts of cool stuff. the bugs arnt bad and the foilage is nice. just use it as an excuse to get out in the canoe.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Patty

I like Cookie Jars myself.  ;D   I have one from when I was a little girl, it is the "Cow Jumped Over the Moon" cookie jar.. it is my favorite. But anything that can hold cookies is my favorite!  smiley_bouncing
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

DonE911

I collect Jack Daniel's  ;D   Limited Edition Bottles, Old Bottles, Shot Glasses ... all kinds of Jack Daniel's stuff.  Alot are unopened.

I got some for drink'n too ;D

My wife collects rocks, if we go anywhere you can bet she picks up a rock and throws it in the truck.

My kids collect injuries :-\

Texas Ranger

Don, just visited the Jack Daniels Distillery, what a trip.  They got all the stuff you need to collect.

I am sorta like JeffB (well, except being a Texan, older, better looking, etc) about collecting everything and anything, except heavy equipment, wife doesn't like stuff sitting in the driveway.

Guns, forestry stuff, books, Smokey Bear stuff, old tools, debt, college tuitions, ticks and red bugs.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

I've saved a Jim Beam decanter of a chainsaw for 25 years or so.   I showed it to a friend of mine who I see every 5 or 8 years.  He held it, broke the seal and took the top off and smelled it and said, "Yep, that's Jim Beam". 

Grrrrrrrrrrr

I didn't have the heart to say anything.

Thank You Sponsors!