iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's going on here??

Started by Jeff, August 17, 2002, 04:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

We spent most of the day today at the Buckley N.W. Michigan engine and tractor show. Its huge! I will have plenty more about it later on because I was there to do an article for the MFRA  website on old equipment used in forest products industry. Had a great time! (Dodging wind and rain :o :))

My Question is for this post:

Whats going on here?

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Frank_Pender

It looks as though that the green engine is a John Deere and it is being used to turn the mixing units for two buckets of homemade Ice Cream. 8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Jeff

I think they had 10 of those rigs running. :)

No I did not eat both bowls full!

Jeff

Man, I hope Noble got some of that Ice Cream! I think he was pulling in from MO just as we left.

Noble's Truck

Tom

Well, by golly, I would have eaten them both.  I love low cal, low cholesterol, low fat, non fattening, home-made ice cream.  I think I would like it especially more if it were churned with a Hit and Miss engine.  I could stand and listen to one of them run all day long.  I love them.  The ice cream would have made it easy to stand there too. ;D

Is that the condensate from the air conditioner coming out of the back of Noble's truck? ..........or.......does he have an out house on the back of that thing. :-/

Jeff

No, That is just residue from the last cloud burst. We were ducking and covering all day!

Bro. Noble

I bought one that looked worse than that around 1970.  The guy I bought it from used it to haul logs  until 1958 when he got too old.

I used to mess with old watercolled engines and still have a few.  I used one to teach small engines when I taught Voc. Ag.  The kids loved it and could see every thing that took place.  Made it easier for them to understand the four cycles.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom

Oh..........  I thought that, with an enterprising mind like Noble, someone that could put a "mother-in-law" chair on the front of their truck could also put one of Kevin's Tow Hitch mounted convience seats on the back. :D

Kevin

You must be refferring to the bumper dumper.

Bibbyman

Mary and I took the mid-day off and went to Montgomery City, MO to their annual Old Thrasher's Convention.  As expected, there were hundreds of old tractors, antique cars and hundreds of old small engines like the one shown in your picture (I forgot my camera). Also, 10s of old steam engines.   Pretty much like last year.  ???

We did find one thing different at the area where the circle sawmill was set up – there was also a lady running her 94-model Wood-Mizer LT40HD24G sawmill.  We got to visit with her for a while and I even offbeared for her when she sawed up a small cherry log.  She had bought the mill new in 94 and had made her living with it ever since.  I asked her how she got interested in running a sawmill and she said she had two uncles that had Wood-Mizer mills and she learned to run them before she got one of her own.

For sure we exchanged introductions and the town we came from, etc. But I'm bad about remembering that stuff and besides,  we exchanged business cards too so I wouldn't have to remember it. :-/  Later,  I looked at her card and all it had on it was "Jones Custom Sawing" and a phone number.  

We also saw two other remarkable things on the way down and on the way back.  

On the way down,  we were nearing the top of one of the longest and steepest grades on I70 from St. Louis to Kansas City when I looked back and to the side to pull back in from the passing lane when I spotted in my mirror,  a little boy in the back of a Thunderbird giving the truck behind them the "arm pump" signal to blow his air horns.  I hadn't seen that in years.  I bet I did that a million times.  Dad even had air horns on his 56 GMC log truck and kids would make the signal and I'd pull the chain to give them a blast. ;D

The second thing I saw was again something I have not witnessed in a while but it wasn't so cute or innocent.  We'd got back on I70 heading home when I noted some fast food junk come flying out of some zippy little foreign sports car.  We later passed the car to find it occupied by two teenage girls.  Every few miles some other piece of fast food trash would eject from the car. >:(
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Bro. Noble

Hey Bibb,

Better watch out------you know what that makes you when you start settin around talking about how things used to be.

I remember the joy of having a trucker give a blast for me on his horn.

A friend of mine and I (we are both ol ones) were talking about sights and scenes and smells that you don't come across anymore.one we thought of that I bet you remember is HOG SLOP.  Every thing left over from the kitchen including the dishwater went into it along with a little lye and some shorts.  Almost always had some cull tomatoes and potato peelings.
I can hear those old sows grunting and sucking that stuff up.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

ElectricAl

Bibbyman,

Did you drive your Motorhome or take Mary's car?

The Threasher's Reunion is Aug. 30th-Sept. 2nd.  Mt Pleasant Iowa. (SE corner )

Plenty of antique tractors, machinery, cars, trucks, steam tractors, steam locomotives, etc.

Ever ride the rails behind a steam Locomotive?  Very Nice  ;D

Oh ya,   STEAM POWERED SAWMILL!!!!!   8)

Fun to watch, but I'm happy to come home to our electric WM.

ElectricAl
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Haytrader

I used to be delighted as a kid too, when a trucker obliged my invitation to blow the air horn. Whenever a kid does that to me now, I give a couple of short tugs on the KW horn. I guess seeing thier delight makes me feel like a kid again. ;)
Haytrader

Gordon

A few years back I had to yell at the kids for doing the airhorn arm pull. We were sitting at a stop light and all of the sudden I hear----HONK_____HONK. To their joy the trucker next to us at the light had honked his airhorn but scared the heck out of me.

They still do it but not when I'm driving. I used to do it as a kid as well and it was fun to get one of the big rigs to honk.

Gordon

Corley5

That ice cream making set up looks very familar.  I was at the show Friday and Saturday.  Jeff and tried to hook up but according to the note he left on my tractor they were "walked out".  After seeing the pics he took now I know what happened.  He ate too much ice cream :D  You know what else?  He found my W-9 McCormick Deering in that whole sea of tractors and didn't even take a picture of it :( ;) ;D :D.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

Sure, rub it in. :-/ :)

I had a Heck of a time finding that tractor! Actually my boy finally did. The danG sign it was sitting by had different numbers on the backside!

I feel bad for not taking a picture. We actually found the tractor minutes before we left. Tammy has a bumb knee from Volley Ball, and 8 or 10 miles was all she was good for.

Honest, I ate only one bowl. Ya see, I noticed the world famous home made chile cheese fry wagon right next door. ;)

woodman

I dvove a truck for 30 years had a lot of fun blowing that air horn for the kids and there dads big smile.
Jim Cripanuk

Ron Scott

Buckley Steam Engine & Tractor Show. A parade every afternoon.

~Ron

junkyard

Had a 1960 short weelbase tandem with a garwood garbage packer on it.
The tailgate opened up then the box dumped. Talk about light on the front.
On Saterdays alot of kids went to the dump with there Dads.They would give me the horn sign
then I would step on it to pull away from the pile. The front end six feet off the ground and the air horn blowing. When you stopped there was a corus of do it again. Lots of fun.
            Junkyard
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.

pasbuild

Noble did you take Jed & Granny to the show with you?
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Wes

There was an icecream rig like that at the sussex county farm and horse show last summer and two of my boys got sick from it.!!
 Well,not exactly,it seems that instead of spending there money on food they only ate icecream then just before my wife and I picked them up they went on a fiew big rides.
 I think you all can guess what happened next,in the van on the ride home :-[ :-/ :-X :o >:(

woodmills1

Hey Wes that would be the NJ state fair now right?  Remember the sussex county farm and horse show but according to mom and dad it has been co-opted for the whole state.  are you sure we don't know each other?  my dad had the sunoco station in Newton for years.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Gus

Hey Al,
I've seen a picture of that rig before somewhere :D For the life of me can't remember where.
Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Percy

QuoteI think they had 10 of those rigs running. :)

No I did not eat both bowls full!

Issat a pic of you Jeff? (nice hat)
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Wes

Woodmills 1,
Yeah thats the one, I think all the newcomers to the county [city folk} had a hand in changing the name.they have to do that to everything,move here becouse its beautiful farm country and only a hour or so commute to the city for work depending on traffick then change it to make it more like where they came from.thats great for them but it makes it harder and harder for the locals to survive.
 We may know each other,shurely our paths have crossed
you have a fiew years on me but I used to hot rod around newton in the late 70's early 80's hang out at the roller rink and dunkin doughnuts.I still have some frends there.

Jeff, you didnt go on any rides after that did ya? ;D

Texas Ranger

That boy has et a lot of icecreme. :o
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

woodmills1

Next year check the SARC booth for Anna and Jim Mills my mom and dad.  I left Newton in 69 but was back for 75,76,77 taught at Newton High one year 75-76.  Back in sixties we cruised Neton around the park then around the train station, it gone now.  Worked for the Gerths up at Thunder Mountain summer of 76.  Sawyer 40 is near you.  Do you know any Gallo's, Morvilles, or DeGroats?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Wes

Woodmills1
Yeah Hap and Rodger De Groat are friends,
Dont really know sawyer40 I think I met him once at an
auction.

Thank You Sponsors!