iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slabber Photos

Started by Frank_Pender, August 16, 2002, 11:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank_Pender

This is a picture of my slabber. This is the first slab that was made from a piece of fir 32 inches wide and 12 ft long. The thickness was 2 and 5/8ths from side to side and end to end.

Here is a photo of the first slab that was produced from the Douglas Fir in photo # 1.

Frank Pender

KiwiCharlie

G'day Frank,

Hey, great unit!  Is this the one you have spent all the time on lately building?  The bed looks quite high, what do you use for loading the logs?  What would be the average time in the cut for the slabs you show there?
Awesome.  Go to the top of the class!

Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Kevin

Frank_Pender

Charlie,
   If you notice, there are four arms extending from the side of the trailer.  Each of these is independently operated by a hydraulic cyclinder for loading the logs onto the bunks and as I lower the loading arms there are four "dogs" that lock down the log.   If the log is very large I use my JD 5300 with loading forks or the bucket for asistance.   I have loaded logs on this mill to the tune weight of 8,00 pounds. 8) 8) On the first slabe it took about 14-15 minutes as it was the trial run and the longest of the slabs I have produced.  The other slabs run 3-5 minutes and run 40' wide to 24'' and 5  ' to 7' in length.   I have sawn only 3 different species, the Douglas Fir, Western big Leaf Maple and English Walnut.   Yes, Charlie, this is the unit I spent so much time with, in developiong.  Like I said in a long ago posting, I have sawn about 25 different slabs thus far.    I have yet to market one of them.   That is my fault.
  they are all so pretty that I hate to part with them.Hee, hee. hee. :D  Thank You Kevin.   I appreciate your imput.  
Frank Pender

Jeff

I'd sure like to have one of those big wide slabs. :-/ I figure just the freight could build a house in Michigan. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Frank_Pender

If you ever come to this "neck- of-the-woods, Jeff, I will give you one to haul back for your UP Cabin. :) :) :)
Frank Pender

KiwiCharlie

G'day Frank,

Hey I know what you mean, with some of the grain and knot patterns you end up with, especially if you slab some knarly trunks, you love them too much to sell!!  Been there, I tell you!  You just have to get hard and keep the absolute best ones for yourself.  But then tommorrow you will probably create one just as nice or better....... :-/
The businessman says sell em all, but the heart says No, No!
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

DanG

Great looking rig, Frank. I'd be interested in seeing some close-ups of the mechanism, particularly where it attaches to the edger shaft.
I'd also like to see some better shots of your log loader, as my mill doesn't have one. My trailer looks similar to yours, and I'd like to add a loader.
Let me know when the slabber attachment is on the market. I'll be your first customer. ;D

8) 8) 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sawmill_john

Frank, I see you finally figured out the picture posting,  now there probably going to have to change the name of this sight to Franks photo album.  Just kidding.  The slaber l 8)ooks good.   8)

J Beyer

What price would a table made with those slabs go for?  I heard of a table made from a Douglas Fir slab go for over $1000.

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

Frank_Pender

Thanks of the compliments fellas.  The last shall be first, slabe cost.  The fir I have cut, the first one is 2 5/8 thick, 32" wide and 12' long, and I have a price of $350.00.  :'(   The Maple and Walnut will run from $100 to $250 each. :'(   They are 3" and 4" thick and running from 16" wide up to 40" and 4' long to 7' +.  As far as the the marketing of the bracket I will most likely leave all of that up to Mobile Dimension Mfg..  8) 8) They have been very wonderlful people to me and many others over my 12 years of dealing with them. :)  I would feel like a sheep killing dog if I was to try and do it myself.  :'( I do believe that they are working on some sort of unit.  8) :P I will have to check with Don and John to see about what they are doing with the idea at this time. :P   I did have to make some additional changes on my own and have not shared them with anyone at the factory, as yet.  ;D Dan, I have some closeups of the attatchment mechansim and would be honored to share them with you.  Sawmill John,  I told Jeff some time ago that when I develope the knack of sending pictures everyone had better be prepared to the onslot of "pixels" coming their way.  8) I am happy that I have sent at least
three, thus far.  8) 8) 8)

Frank Pender

J Beyer

I know that i've seen this covered here or elsewhere, but how do you dry those gorgeous  :o slabs without them cracking/checking?
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

Frank_Pender

JB,
    I have coated both sides with Anchor Seal and covered them with a waterproof lumber wrap.  I will let them set about 3 months on an individual pallet with a 1" sticker for spacing.  After that time I will place them in the kiln and attempt to dry the remainder of the slab and dehydrate any sort of "critter" that may have decided to take up housekeeping.   :D :D :D
Frank Pender

woodmills1

nice job looks very functional.  I could use it to split the large trunks down to a size for the mill.  LM saws makes a log splitter that I saw in forest products equipment magazine, but no info on their web site yet.  http://www.lmsaws.com/
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!