iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Putting down roots in Costa Rica

Started by Pete J, August 31, 2005, 08:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete J

Just an interesting tidbit I thought I'd share.

Here is a picture of my 1 year old Teak trees that Fred (crtreedude) is growing for me. I was joking when I asked him how my toothpicks were doing. He sent it as proof that they only stay toothpick size for about a week.  It's the only thing I've ever come across that grows faster than my kids.

The posts in the foreground are about 6 feet tall and my yearlings are already over the top of them.

I just hope that Fla_D has about 20 years of patience left in him. They need to grow a little more before he starts sawing them up for me.

Thanks for the update Fred, and keep sending me photos so I can watch them grow.

crtreedude

You just think so.  He will actually have to start cutting in about 3 to 4 years the ones that were planted about 2 years ago. They will be about 9 inches in diameter at that time. Between 30 to 40 % are removed at that time to let the rest get bigger.

This picture was taken of trees at 20 months.

They are a lot bigger now, after they reach 30 feet, they start to fatten up. I think some of us resemble that... ;)

By the way, I have a full-time guard to keep Harold out of the trees until they are big enough.  :D

So, how did I end up here anyway?

crtreedude

One quick comment, the scary thing (and good too for you) is that we think the ones in your field might actually catch up with these. It is really hard to believe the growth rate of teak on good soil. I estimated once that for the first 18 months, they add a 1/2" a day of growth.

This years planting is 14,000 and then we estimate we will only have room for another 3,000 trees on this plantation. We have another property to plant on, but it is time to buy more land soon.

tnlogger

logrite looking good there  they'll be ready for retirement.
Fred the only one i know that could keep harold a bay would be Roxie . she dont have to be there just tell him you'll put her on a plane.  :D :D :D :D :D
gene

Fla._Deadheader

::) ::) :( :( :'( :'( :( :( :'( :'(     

Rodney
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

crtreedude

The guards are standing by....

You know we are just teasing you big guy. Hector is looking forward to you being here and so are the others.  The first thing you are going to do is take a break and have a little siesta. We will buy you a good hammock to encourage it.

The next thing is to learn to ride Toro....  :D I know you are going to be happy to hear this, we now have an ATV. You don't have to ride a horse.

Fla._Deadheader

I DID the rodeo thing  when I owned "Marijuana", the ½ Quarter horse-½ Morgan. As soon as you DO the Rodeo thing, on Toro, I will ride him.

DEAL ??????
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

Hey, I can open and close gates (barbed wire ones) from the back of Toro - can you do that ???

Hector is my partner, he has been in rodeos - it qualifies.  ;D

Fla._Deadheader

NO, NOOOOOOOOO.. This is me and you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hector gets to laugh  ;) :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

OneWithWood

Hector must take pics!  We all love pics!  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Roxie

Geez Harold, do I hafta come down there and show ya how to ride?  Stop yer whinin about a little horsey!   smiley_horserider
Say when

DonE911

Harold

sounds like you'd better sneak an atv in that shipping container ;D ;D

crtreedude

Hector won't be able to take pictures - he will be laughing too hard.

Fla._Deadheader

Don't forget, I have nearly 20 years on you.  ::)  I just need to be sure that your insurance is good for my injuries. Old guys don't heal too quickly.  ::) ::) ;)

Roxie, best mount I ever rode was named "Long". Had 45 horses and a front end loader. That thing would round up cattle as easily as a horse, and IT never got tired.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Do I get to tighten the Bucking line ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

Well, if you got twenty years on me, that means you should be a lot better than me, right?!  ;D

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

Roxie

Bucking line?   Someone is feeling his oats today!!   :D :D :D :D :D
Say when

Fla._Deadheader

That's for Fred, Roxie. He goes first.  ::) ::) :) :) ;)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Murf

QuoteStop yer whinin about a little horsey!

Errr, ummmm, Roxie, isn't a 'little horsey' called a donkey ?  :D

Now I'd be willing to pay to see a picture of FDH ridin' around CR on a donkey.  :D

Specially' with that famous camo hat of his on, ya'll remember the ForesrtyForum Safari hat ?  :)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

crtreedude

All right! They are falling for you business plan Harold....  ;)

Let's get it started on EBay - you are going to make a fortune!   8)

Fla._Deadheader

Fred, Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  ::) ;)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Pete J

I was just noticing the size of the trees is put in more perspective when you have people on horseback standing next to them. Here in Connecticut we call stuff that grows that fast CRABGRASS. Too bad there isn't a market for it. I'd make millions. I just calculated that in the time it took me to type this post, my trees just grew another 1/2". Cool!

crtreedude

There is a book here about 55 native trees suitable for lumber in Costa Rica. Harold knows of it. We had one of the authors in our home today. I am trying to convince her to work for us. Her knowledge is great.

What was really nice is we were discussing what we are doing, and she said we were doing everything right. This is very cool. I mean, she "wrote" the book on the subject! Literally.  ;D

I think there is a very strong possiblity that she will join the team.  8)

OneWithWood

She would be a most welcomed member of this forum.

Hint, hint   ;)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

crtreedude

OWW,

Boy I can be dumb sometimes! She speaks English pretty well too. I will encourage her and see if she can stand us.  :D

Fred

Thank You Sponsors!