iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

One More Reason

Started by Ga_Boy, August 31, 2005, 04:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga_Boy

I had a first today.  It was my first and last all wraped into one.

I posted a question on Wood Web about Catalpa wood. I asked if this wood was good for woodworking, as I may have the chance to saw and dry some.

Well, I get home this afternoon and a systems admin type from that other place sent me an e-mail saying my post had been deleted because it did not appear "professional" .

My response was if this person had taken the time to look at my e-mail address; my company e-mail address it was apparent by the address this question came from a lumber company. 

That is OK, I also told this person that I would take my quesiton to a professional forum.

Some people think highly of them selfs.   ::) ::) ::)

10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Fla._Deadheader

That's whatcha get for "straying"  ;) ;D :D :D :D

You don't need to be over there no how.  We got the best of the best right here.  ;D ;D ;D :) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DonE911

:D :D :D

Thats funny.... should have responded " This Lumber Company Does Not Respond to SPAM "  ;D

The thing about that place is you can't reasearch anything on page 2 or beyond and they archive stuff under a "Knowledge Base"? when you search that, you just get alot of BS most of the time.

FF is by far the best place to be anyhow 8) 8)

tnlogger

Now ya shoulda known better. :P i dont even have that place bookmarked  :D
gene

Ga_Boy

I won't stray anymore. The only reason I was there is the day job has this place blocked and I can not get here on their system.

Now my questions will just have to wait till I get home in the afternoon.

Grawulf

Hey Ga,
From one "unprofessional" to another.............Catalpa is a pretty wood. very lightweight once it's dry. Similar to elm in appearance - a little wider grain. I know a guy that likes to make rolling pins out of it. In my humble unprofessional opinion, it would be worth it  :)

Ga_Boy

Grawulf,

Thank you for the info.

I will pass that along to my customer, I hope we contracts me to mill it and dry it for him. 8) 8)

Mark

woodbeard

It's also fairly rot resistant.

The catalpa, that is.  :D

Rockn H

Woodbeard you beat me to it.  I might add it is similar to honey locust.  Nice wood you just don't find it that often.

Part_Timer

Hay Mark

Catalpa is nice to turn on the lathe also if you get a chance to make some blocks

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Jeff

I just "rediscovered" all the catalpa in the town just to the south of us, Clare.  There are some monsters down there. Must have been planted as street trees years ago. When I was a kid we lived in clare for just a couple years and I remember the green bean trees. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

I may have to delete my last post. Certainly calling a catalpa a green bean tree cant be professional.

farmerdoug

Catalpa use to line the street on the north end of our small town but when they widen the road they were all removed except for the three in our fron tyard.  Did that ever pith off some of the neighbors.  ;D

Jeff,  When we were kids we use to call them bannana trees.  That is a professional opinion only. ::)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Tom

They are called Fish bait trees or Catawba worm trees down here.  Don't y'all get them loaded with caterpillars?   We do.  You can't keep the kids out of the river when the Catalpa worms are feeding.  The Trees are barren of leaves and it looks as if they will die, but they keep coming back.  ;D

http://www.catalpaworms.com/

tnlogger

sure glad you said that Tom i was gitting covuseacated few a min now i know what theys talking about   ;D
gene

Furby

Quote from: Jeff B on August 31, 2005, 10:57:27 PM
I may have to delete my last post. Certainly calling a catalpa a green bean tree cant be professional.
Sure it can.............
Ya didn't say professional what! ;) ;D

thedeeredude

I love catalpa wood.  Easy to work, light, cheap and it looks a good bit like chestnut.   I've made some blanket boxes out of catalpa already and hope to make a few more.  I just use a simple linseed oil finish and it comes out beautiful.

woodbeard

My sawmill sits under a nice little catalpa tree.  It is covered in caterpillar droppings, right now. :D

dail_h

I got a nice tree in my yard,but no worms,guess I need to find some for seed. Got several one 'n two year olds staked and tagged for moving this fall.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Daren

I dug this post up because I remember reading it. This is not about catalpa, it is about that other site I will not visit anymore. I removed it from my bookmarks I have had 2 post removed in 2 weeks, I asked a question about a hard wax finishing product and I got a letter from a webmaster saying I was not a "professional" so I couldn't ask any questions. It made me mad so I sent a letter back saying I was a pro and even if I wasn't there are 100 hobbiests for every 1 pro. I continued by saying since they have a sponsor funded site I can't imagine their sponsors wanting only 1% of the market they are paying to promote their product to being allowed to participate in a discussion. A couple days ago a guy asked a question having a maple down and is it still good. Myself and another guy answered, I got a note today saying that whole post had been removed. The only really good thing I learned on that site is someone over there mention this place and I came over to check it out.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Furby

My ?..............
If you are a pro, what reason do you have to ask ?'s anyways. ;) ;D

Ga_Boy

Daren,

Consider yourself in good company.

Since I had my post removed I have not been back to that site nor will I ever return.

Mark 

mike_van

As someone else said Catalpa is pretty good outside.  A man I know turned some large finials for the tops of fence posts some 25 years ago, they're painted white & still there.   I had a big one in my yard, messy tree - the leaves [lots of 'em] are about 12", in the fall you clean them up - In the spring, the 12" long beans fall off & you get to clean up all over again.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Jeff

Quote from: Ga_Boy on September 25, 2005, 06:27:14 PM
Daren,

Consider yourself in good company.

Since I had my post removed I have not been back to that site nor will I ever return.

MarkĀ 

Yer missin some fine fun in da board room with that there attitude mark.  :)

redpowerd

how big are some of those caltapas you folks seen? im guessing the one by the farmhouse is 30" it may need to come down as there is a bit of corrosion happening between that ugly tree and the steel roof.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Thank You Sponsors!