iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newbie to Forum and a green Sawyer

Started by LumberJack, August 15, 2002, 02:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumberJack

Hello,
I've been milling:D around various sites the last few month's and decided that this was a good place to set up shop based on the posts I've seen and the profile of the members!  I'm new to this sawing but both my wife and myself know that my woodworking would eventually lead to my sawing and drying my own logs.

Right now I'm faced with the task of sawing up two southern red oaks that we downed in my neighbors yard last week.  Both trees are about 24 inches with one tree having good tight/even rings, the other is the same but carpenter ants have infested the pith from the base of the tree up about twenty feet. I'm quarter sawing for grade since I plan to use this for furniture/cabinets in the future; is there going to be a problem if I cut away the infested parts and salvage the rest of the heartwood?

Thanks
John
 :)

Tom

Well, the ants won't like it..... :D

Seriously, salvage everything that you have the patience to saw and don't get hung up on the quartersawing thing.  Flat sawed Oak is pretty too and has  its place in panels.  

Personally, I think that the straight lines of quarter sawed wood get to be boring even when the ray patterns break it up.  Kinda like eating too much candy I guess. Flat sawed provides "Flame" grain and other various interesting patterns.

Glad you dropped in and hope you stay.  We have a good time.......the more the merrier  8)

Frank_Pender

Welcome, Lumberjack,   Nice to have another sawyer in the mill. 8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

woodman

When you cut it the ants will find a new home and the wood will be ok.
Jim Cripanuk

Frank_Pender

Be careful, though.  You had better check the endangered species list first. there might be some strains of ant that cannot be disturbed.  :D  If they are not on the list, there may be a federal or state ruling about making them homeless. :-/
Frank Pender

ARKANSAWYER

LumberJack
  Welcome, and watch out them black buggers bite!  What you sawing with?  If it is a yard tree watch out for metal and such.
  Let us know how it comes out.
ARKANSAYWER
ARKANSAWYER

LumberJack

Thanks for the welcome!!! :)  Those little guys didn't like what they saw  :D com'in at them past weekend!  They sent out their negotiator to try to strike up deal but I was having no part of it!  Endangered species, well it is an election year, could be a hot topic.  I'll take my chances though.
Those little pesky critters got awoke by the thunder of my Husky 394 XP rippin' through their little paradise :o and before long there was a mass exodus across the hot Georgia landscape.  Problem was that they where heading in the direction of my yard !>:(
My milling rig is the pretty basic: big saw with a 32 inch bar with the Haddon lumber maker attached.  I've made up some various sizes of guide boards for makeing my cants and I have made up a niffty aluminum guide rail for my actual sawing, not to mention some other basic jigs to make my job :D easier; I'm a one man show.  Speaking of a show, I had a couple of ladies from the neighborhood stop by (probably wanted to see what all the racket was ;D) and they where amazed of what was being produced (besides the noise).  A comment was made that wouldn't it be easier to go to Home Depot ::)!  Hum, lets see quatersawn oak, would that be in aisle 7 :D
I've been quite pleased with the results I'm getting with this attachment now ( through some trail and error ) and am getting consistent results.  Down side is set up time but since I'm sawing for grade this is to be expected.  Like my wife said, good thing your not getting paid for this! ;)
Thanks for the input!
John 8)

Thank You Sponsors!