iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making new brake lines

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, August 30, 2005, 07:53:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

Has anyone made replacement brake lines?

I am rebuilding the rearend on my 51 Ford and the old lines that run across the housing need replacing.
Anyone have any pearls of wisdom about doing it? You know, wish you hadda done it a certin way or if you do it this way they will blow the tires off your truck... kind of advice.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Corley5

Be sure to use a double flare.  Single flaring doesn't work, for long anyway.  I speak from experience ;) ::)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Fla._Deadheader

Made some one time for an old GMC 1½ Ton. Only thing I can say is, the flareing tool is NOT the common type. The line is "Squashed" into itself, forming a double layer flare.

DanGit Corley.  >:(     :D :D :D :D :D :D ;) ;)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Dan_Shade

you can buy premade lengths of brake line already flared at most parts stores, you can get up to like 6 or 8 foot lengths and then join them together.

you can also get rolls of steel tubing.

DO NOT USE COPPER TUBING, it's not made to handle that level of pressure, but i figure you already knew that.  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

gary

This is a little trick I use when I replace brake lines . I get a compresion fitting and cut my new lines then get both ends screwed into where they go and then connect them together with the fitting. Saves me the trouble of trying to get the bends perfect at the calipers or drums.

johnjbc

Its not a good idea to use compression fittings either. Most aren't designed for that kind of pressure.
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

sawguy21

"DO NOT USE COPPER TUBING, it's not made to handle that level of pressure, but i figure you already knew that."  Smiley
Also illegal on a licenced vehicle. A lot of early cars used copper but they have to be upgraded to steel during restoration or they can't be driven.
I would hesitate to use compression fittings although they would make installation a lot easier.

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

johnjbc

Had to replace the break line from the master cylinder to the rear of the truck. It failed behind the fuel tank where I couldn't see it. But I think mud got trapped around it and made it rust.  >:(
Luckily I was pulling up to the shed to load fire wood to go camping and going slow. The pedal went right to the floor.
Glad I didn't have 10k of Low-Boy pushing me down hill. :o :o

Bought 2    5' lengths,  1    1' length, 1 reducer, and 1 quart of break fluid and I was back in bussness.

The truck is eleven years old. Wonder if all break lines should be changed every 10 years ???
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

moosehunter

New York state reciently banned the use of compresion fittings. They will not withstand the 3000psi your brake system can generate.
The pre-made lines are the way to go, they are very flexable.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

J_T

Where you find the presure charts on a break system ??? Looks like a lot of rubber hose on some cars and those rubber cups in those cylenders an't much ??? You can get a double flair tool but those lines arn't bad to buy. I got a expensive flair tool I use on gas lines it sets the depth of the flair and de bures it too 8) They make a compression fitting for steel line but may not be legal for road use,
Jim Holloway

moosehunter

I've never seen a chart, just what I've learned from 25 years of tech classes and skinned, greasy knuckles ;)
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

J_T

Guess you could put a gauge on the line and stomp the pedel ??? :D :DJust though 3000psi was extream for that system
Jim Holloway

Vermonter

One thing I learned the hard way with my '51 ford was to replace the rubber lines when I replaced the steel.  There was some sort of blister on the inside of that line that acted like a check valve and wouldn't release the brake.
New homestead

J_T

Yep done that already :D :D Had a line on a clutch master do that once cut the line where it would releace and drove it home ;D
Jim Holloway

Dan_Shade

i've heard that brake systems generate 2500 to 3000 lbs of pressure, i have never checked it though.

the boosters add a lot of pressure too
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Don_Papenburg

For the axle a set of store bought lines would be the easiest way to go.
Double flare if you make your own . I bought a roll of the brake line tube when I redid my Diamond T about 20 years ago. That worked great for plumbing the frame. one length of tube front to back no splices.
I would look into Stainless Steel if you plan on keeping the truck.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Weekend_Sawyer

Thanks for all of the good info. I am going down to powwow with my local NAPA guy tonight.
Now I can walk in better informed.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Thank You Sponsors!