iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DOHHH!!! 4 inches of water in basement and a new duck pond in front yard

Started by SwampDonkey, August 30, 2005, 06:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Woke up this morning to see a new duck pond in the front yard. That automatically prompted me to check the basement. FOUR!! inches in the basement. I checked the drain and cleaned around the hole, but no water flow. I'm off to the hardware store for a new sub-pump and 20 feet of hose.  :o ::)

Well water is contaminated with surface water as well.  >:(

We are suppose to get Katrina tommorrow, so I got to be ready for this mess.

Stay tuned  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Yup, 6 inches last night and Katrina ain't even here yet.  :o

Water in basement, 4 inches

New Pond out in the front yard

Chocolate milk on tap anyone? ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

WOW !! You got that much rain ??? We only got about 3/4 inch yesterday.

It amazes me that we don't live all that far apart and your weather is SO different  :o

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

crtreedude

Basements = Wannabe swimming pool.  >:(

It is just a matter of time...

Sorry to hear that yours achieved it's ambition.  :-\

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Roxie

Bummer.   ::)
This makes me wonder about something.....I've been through some pretty heavy 'flood' conditions in the 20 years I've been living in my house, but I've never had my well water do what your's did.  How does that happen, and what keeps it from happening to some wells? 
I totally relate to the sump pump going out just when ya need it!   :)  My home has those drains all around the edge of the basement walls, and water drains into a pit where the sump is located.  This works great, until ya lose power.  I bought a generator a few years back, and haven't lost power in a heavy storm since!   :D
Say when

Murf

One of the few things the builder of my house had right was the drainage around the foundation.

I live in a really wide sandy river delta and the ground-water level is only a few feet below the footer. When they built the place they laid the weeping tile around the foundation and then just trenched them downhill and into the pond.  ;D 

No 'lectricity required, it's all gravity powered.  ;D

I'm also lucky in that they drilled a deep well and then sealed the casing.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Frank_Pender

Sorry for your basement problems.  I do hope your wood does not float to the next pond in the background, when the rains come.
Frank Pender

SwampDonkey

It's funny about all this, I'm up on top of the hill and no brooks for at least 1/2 mile away.  I see the farm road down the street is all washed out like a ditch.

Man!! there must have been a major hatching of black flies somewhere, there are clouds of'm this morning.

The big Presque Isle stream is up in the woods this morning. I could see rocks sticking out of the water yesterday. It's like the spring freshet. :D

30 miles away they only got 1" and 3/4" of rain.  ::)

redpowerd

after our barn fire we had to drill a new well. the ground water from the hoses soaked into the well somehow, very sooty water, tasted like coal and just as dark. the well was in the barn.

we got enough water off that system to bring the pond up about a foot. poured all night, the pond drains about 200 acres.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Weekend_Sawyer

How deep is your well?
Are you going to have your water tested when it clears?

My brother 's sump pump died twice. We ran a line from the bottom of the sump to the curb which was just enough dowhill. Now his sump pump is just a backup incase he line gets plugged.
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

SwampDonkey

Jon, Don't know how deep the well is, but the casing is not up to the surface, it's burried. We were always talking about bringing it up, but haven't. I am drawing water from my brothers place for now. We have had surface water before, but always in heavy spring rain during the snow melt. Never ever in the summer, and never had 4 inches in the basement before. I don't ever remember a pond on the lawn in the summer either.

johnjbc

LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

SwampDonkey

Thank You Sponsors!