iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pricing for oak planks

Started by leggs, August 29, 2005, 04:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leggs

I just got an order for 24 oak planks 2 1/4 x 8x 12 ft. im not sure what to charge .   any ideas.  Im in eastern Ohio and the trees are mine.  thanks

DonE911

I just cut 15 2x8x12's red oak  with one natural edge for a guy building a barn.  His trees and my time, he offered $325 and he would do all the loading with his tractor and would offloaded every board too. Nice pressure washed logs. He didn't have a trailer to haul them to the circle mill or 2 weeks to wait.

No negotiations.... I said "sure,when" .... took about 4 1/2 hours including all the talking we did.

Hit 2 nails but I just gave him a couple "freebie's".   ::)

He said he would call me back when I got the Swinger to cut all the siding for the barn. I wonder if he will offer more than my hourly rate again?

As for what you should charge if its your wood?  Hard to say, that would depend on what you had to pay for the logs and how much you want to pay yourself for the time.

Ron Wenrich

We charge about 60-70 cents/bf for stuff like that.  We use interior parts of the log after the grade has been pulled. 

What you charge is pretty much up to you.  I've heard some pretty high prices, but if you can get it, who's to argue?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

dewwood

I charge $1 BF for sound lumber for trailer floors, bridge decking, farm lumber etc.  If they want clear white oak it is considerably more as the logs would bring that without sawing.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

BBTom

When I supply the trees, Oak "barn wood" is $1 / bdft.  doesn't matter if it is for horse stalls or trailer decking, or fence boards.   Dry poplar is the same price.  green poplar is $.75. 
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

twoodward15

If I was buying that here in new jersey I'd have to pay $367.20 green or $712.80 dried.   That's 85 cents green and $1.65 dried.
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

woodmills1

I get $1.25 for my red oak off the saw.  At that price I sell all of the log so they get some real nice boards, plus the middle.  Horse fence, trailer deck and truck sides.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!