iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I need a sweet pickle recipe

Started by gary, August 24, 2005, 06:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary

We have cuccumbers coming out of our ears. The wife and I have tried 2 different sweet pickle recipes and didn't like either one of them. We looked at the ingreidents on a jar of sweet pickles  that we liked and they used corn syrup and no sugar. Does anyone have a recipe that uses corn syrup?

Brad_S.

Gary,

This recipe contains sugar and is a pain to make but you've never tasted anything like them, I'm betting! ;D These are the hit of any picnic I take them to and people ask me for these as Christmas presents.

Crystal Pickles

25 dill size pickles
Brine- 1 ½ cups non-iodized salt in 2 gallons non-chlorine water

Scrub pickles thoroughly. In crock large enough to hold pickles, (scalded first), make brine that will float an egg. Let pickles stand in this for 2 weeks IN A COOL PLACE. Keep pickles under the brine with a plate and weight. Skim scum off top as needed. In two weeks, remove pickles and cut into thin (1/4") slices. (Ed. Note: I slice before soaking and experience no problems but experienced losses when soaking pickles whole.)
Rinse and cover with cold water. Add alum about the size of a walnut or 2T of granular per quart of water. Also add a tray of ice cubes. Let stand overnight then rinse and drain.

Make syrup of:
1 quart vinegar
2 quarts granulated sugar
2 inches of stick cinnamon
1T whole cloves

Bring to a boil and pour over pickles, pressing well under liquid – use plate again. Drain syrup off FOUR successive mornings, bring to a boil again, pour over pickles again. On the 5th day, place pickles in hot jars, add hot syrup (with cinnamon and cloves) and seal.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

gary

Thanks Brad  We will give it a try.

Dan_Shade

any other pickle recipes out there?

also, anybody have any squash pickles?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Wildflower

I found this one in my mom recipes she gave me:

Zucchini Pickles

2 pounds small zucchini
2 medium onions
1/4 cup salt

Wash and slice unpeeled zucchini and add sliced onions. Slice both very thin. Put into crock or bowl. Cover with water and add salt. Let stand 1 hour, then drain, Mix:

1 pint white vinegar
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon mustard seed
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

Mix all together and bring to boil. Pour over onion and zucchini. Let stand 1 hour. Bring to boil and boil 3 minutes. Pack in hot sterilized Jars and seal.
Co-owner of The Forestry Forum.

Tom

Have y'all forgotten that there is a Food section with recipe's  in the knowledge base too?

Lots of good stuff there and you need to put some of these recipe's in there for others.

gary

Dan_Shade

it's a spice. 

my mother would get a kick out of this thread ;D
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

thurlow

If you gotchur cucumbers, you don't need this recipe, but ..................these will make you slap your mother.   8) 

We've been making these for our church Fall Festival/Craft's Fair for years and they always go quickly, almost as quickly as the pear preserves.

Get yourself some store-bought dill pickles; those great big ones.  We buy the ones in the 5 gallon buckets from Sam's.........about 12 or 14 dollars as I recall.  Pour off the pickle juice and slice the pickles crossways.........about 3/16 or 1/4 inch;  doesn't really matter.  Put 'em back into the bucket(s);  cover with granulated sugar;  let 'em set for about a week or so, 'til they're sweet (you may have to add more sugar to keep 'em covered).  They make their own juice and can then be canned.  They don't have to be "processed";  just put into sterilized jars and seal.  They're wonderfully crisp and sweet.   :)
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Paul_H

Quote from: Tom on July 10, 2007, 01:51:39 PM
Have y'all forgotten that there is a Food section with recipe's  in the knowledge base too?

Lots of good stuff there and you need to put some of these recipe's in there for others.

I forget sometimes too but just went and had a look and made Tom's Banana drink.It's 97° F here right now and that banana shake is gooood!

Link
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Thank You Sponsors!