iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BUZZ'S new bandmill project NEW PICS!

Started by Buzz-sawyer, August 23, 2005, 06:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz-sawyer

Quote from: EIGHTWGT on October 02, 2005, 07:42:19 AM
Hey Buzz - How does the new saw work ? I hope she is making plenty of sawdust !

I have Bills 'simple saw' plans and started collecting steel but still have not started it... looking at your pics is motivation !

Tom
no dust yet...havent finished the power head yet..........
get a weldin ...you will get the bug ;) :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

TomFromStLouis

Hey Buzz! I have just caught up to what you've got going here and I must say I am impressed! Sorry if my questions are naive or going over old turf, but....

What diameter log are you counting on being able to saw? I R E A L L Y like the idea of 36" wide walnut slabs! I have a bunch of 30" wide crotches that need slabbing - maybe this is the answer I have been looking for?
Will this be portable are are you nailing 'er down?

I am not following all the detail shots too well (might be easier if I were a sawyer), but it looks darn bulletproof from here. Let me know when it is ready to watch in action!

Buzz-sawyer

Hey Buzz! I have just caught up to what you've got going here and I must say I am impressed! Sorry if my questions are naive or going over old turf, but....

Hi Tom....thanks, ask away...

What diameter log are you counting on being able to saw?

This mill can saw 40-42" wide slab....and is capable of squaring at least a 48" log.

I R E A L L Y like the idea of 36" wide walnut slabs! I have a bunch of 30" wide crotches that need slabbing - maybe this is the answer I have been looking for?

i will let you know when we go into production , after the protype is running for 5-10 mbft ;) :)
Will this be portable are are you nailing 'er down?
It will be portable, and we have drawn up a plan for a never seen before means of sawing the big boys.......i am considering building 2 carriages for different purposes for this unique power head :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

squirrel hunter

I am interested in picks of home made beds also.  Especially the wheels that run the saw down the track, log clamps and turner. If anybody has some??

wiam

squirrelhunter here is a pic of my track.  I have had trouble with sawdust build up on the angle.  I made a new wiper the other day that seems to be cleaning better.  I think I would consider running on the edge of an angle if I was starting over.

Will

Furby

Mine is run on angle.
It needs a wiper as well or after a bit the wheel locks up and just slides.

SAW MILLER

I ran mine on 1/2 inch pipe and never had any problems.
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

Buzz-sawyer

SAw Miller, how did you construct your wheels for that?
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

SAW MILLER

I used cast iron v grooved casters with bearings and zerks from Mcmaster Carr.I welded the half inch pipe on top of inch and a quarter pipe cause thats what I had.stretch a piano wire and spot weld while keeping the 1/2 inch level.So what I ended up with was 2 x 4 tube with 1 and 1/4 pipe on top with 1/2 inch on top of that.I saw A kasco saw at a show and they used  1/2 " pipe.I also used there design of belt clutch made with an idler pulley and over shot cam lever.The original TSC idler was still good when I sold the mill....IT wasn't 2 x 4 tube it was 2 x 6..DUH.
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

Buzz-sawyer

Sounds like you put some good thought into your mill....too bad ya didnt take a bunch more pics before it found a new home............... :D :D
I sure would enjoy seeing them :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Grappletractor

Thank You Sponsors!