iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to do with chip from planer

Started by Rod, August 23, 2005, 06:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod

I don't have a big planed right now but I was wondering what you could do with all the chips?

Brad_S.

I give them to a dairy farmer. He isn't fussy about walnut shavings like the horse people are.
He provides a gravity wagon that I shoot the shavings into.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

DonE911

I either bag them up and my wife puts them down in her horse stall or I fill in low spots in the yard with them and the saw dust from the mill.

I've also covered some paths thru the woods with the saw dust.... keeps the weeds from comming up in the middle of the pathways and looks nicer until it mixes with mud after heavy rain and just looks like regular old dirt again.

Rod

Well I was think of  4 sided planner.And I figurd it would make enugh chips that there might be some way a person could sale it,but maybe just give it away well work too.I try to give my slabs away but know one wants them,smae way with the chips Id say.

Brad_S.

I could sell shavings by the truck load if I so chose, I get calls for them all the time. But I figure the expense of a road legal vehicle, added to the cost of fuel and the time it takes to deliver verses what the clients are willing to pay makes it easier to just give it away.
As I stated, the guy I deal with isn't fussy about shaving quality or species in the mix, which is not true with many calls I get, so it's just one less headache to deal with IMO.
Giving it away also means you are probably dealing with a nearby neighbor and the goodwill of a neighbor can often be worth more than cash. ;)

DonE911

I agree with the good neighbor idea.....  wish I had a neighbor that needed some.  Get any free milk outa the deal Brad?

crtreedude

We have someone who comes by and bags them up and takes them away. I suspect he uses them in his barn, etc.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

ronwood

Is it possible to burn the shavings in an outdoor wood furance?
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Brad_S.

Just shoveling them into an outdoor burner causes them to smolder and not burn clean, kind of like burning a pile of leaves. If you inject it into a burn chamber, you get good combustion and heat. I want to see one of these in action sometime.
http://www.burnsbest.com/Products/Messersmith/dragon.php

Rod

id like to see a heater that burned chips

beenthere

If one would feed the chips from a hopper through an auger like we used to do with the coal stoker, and bring them up under the fire bed (also like the pellet stoves), maybe (but I do not know) they would burn okay. The volume for the amount of BTU's per some unit of time would, I think, be pretty large.  Not sure how one would get rid of the ash.

I wonder if there are any of the old coal stokers still around. Used to be my job as a 5-12 year old kid, to keep the stoker filled with coal, one small shovel full at a time (actually, I kinda enjoyed that job). Then both furnaces were converted over to oil fired. Soon as that happened, we moved away.  >:(
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

johnjbc

By brother just bought a coal stoker on EBAY it was only 6 months old. The guy lived in Newark N.J. and they have zoned out anything that burns coal. The zoning inspector was is checking something else and saw it. Said "get that thing out" 8)
It sold for ½ price.
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

tnlogger

Rod my dad had one of them heaters it would burn sawdust or chips.
2 250 gal round fuel tanks built like dem barrel stoves one 25 gal used oil tank out side with a 1/8" line running to the stove. That thing would heat a 20x40 shop in the maine winter at 70+
deg's on a load of dust and 5gal old oil for a week  ;D
gene

Brad_S.

Rod and Beenthere,
That link I posted is for a system that does exactly what you guys are describing.
http://www.burnsbest.com/Products/Messersmith/dragon.php

Rod

tnlogger,did your dad get a patent on it?

Bard,the way oil is going up something like that might be a good idea to get

beenthere

Brad_S
Thanks, I missed that post. Sure looks like it would work.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tnlogger

:D :D :D :D wal i think bout everyone in here thats one of us olllllld timers knows about it  ;D
gene

mur

I collect my Logosol planer shavings into a large bulk fertilizer bag that is held up with my forklift by the straps.  When it's full - over to the outdoor boiler with three fans.  Great heat source.  I plan to eventually sell packaged shavings but until I get that project set up, I am burning the shavings.  And also giving them to horse people in the big bags.  Drawback is shovelling them into the stove twice a day but it beats throwing them over the bank or paying to dispose them.  The heat is a nice bonus and it saves me cutting firewood. 
Don't dream it, be it.

Thank You Sponsors!