iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Makita 7901

Started by meazlejr, August 23, 2005, 11:56:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

meazlejr

Anyone have this saw?  I see that it is made by Dolamar.  The makita thoughis under there warenty and service.  I found a good deal on one.  I have been thinking about doing a little cahinsawmilling and this seems like it would be a good saw for that.  So waht do you think?
Thanks,
joe

ehp

the 7900/7901 are great saws with lots of power and they have a coil governor so that would be a good thing in my books for saw milling

fishhuntcutwood

Never handled one, but Bailey's is touting them as running against the 046 and 385 in their fall sale catalog.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

pallis

I have one.  I'm still in the slightly awe struck stage with it.  It is a great saw, well balanced, with more power than I need, but I don't plan on milling with it.  Just my 02, but If you plan on doing a lot of milling, you should maybe look at some larger saws, closer to the 100cc category.

rahtreelimbs

At present the Makita 7901/Dolmar7900 seems to be the saw to beat!!!

Great power to weight ratio!!!

I have 3 7900's and 2 of the smaller Makita 7301. I am not letting them go any time soon!

Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

pallis

I should add that I have a 7900 because I watched a clip of ehp running one he modified.  How about giving us a show ehp...?

ehp

I donot think I can post video on here ? If I am wrong let me know ok

meazlejr

Thanks for the info.  I ahve heard that it can run the  385xp wich seems to be the standard for chainsaw milling.  I can get this saw for less than the 385xp.  I would love to see the video.
Joe

Jeff

Ed how big is the file?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ehp

Jeff I have hundreds of videos of different saws , let me know how big I can put on , if I use the small video they arenot to big

ehp

Jeff I have some as small as 100 kb of single cuts , they are very short about 4 seconds worth,

Jeff

Email me some stuff and I'll get them uploaded.

Jeff

Actually, let me know what the file extentions are and I will fix it so you can attach them under "additional options"

Jeff

I added the ability to attach .mov, .avi, or .mpg files up to 200k.

ehp

ok lets see if I can get this to work, I was playing with a gas powered 3120 work/ race saw , the owner wants to work the saw then race it on weekends so here it is on muffler , wood is 17 to 18 inch

ehp

ok that seems to work pretty good Jeff, that saw had a 10 tooth gear on it with 3/8's chain, so now I had a large volume pipe and a small volume pipe , first the small pipe

ehp

now a the big volume pipe

ehp

here is a 361 stihl I ported for Ben Walker, I only had a 16 inch bar with me so I had to go over the top , the 361 is a nice saw to run

ehp

I will have to look threw my video's to find some 7900's videos or I will just make so more, I have a couple 7900's here to be ported , plus I donot know how much space Jeff wants me to use but one thing you could do  Jeff just leave the video's on for a short time then delete them to free up spacecause I know it cost money to have lots of MB

ehp

here is one of my 3120's alcohol saws, it's a small file

Bernhard

really not sure how the new Makita/Dolmar work, but in the past they had a lot of quality probs. We ran a 114 si at our VFD and it was a piece of Junk. I´ve bought a 114 si a few years later for resale and it worked fine.

ehp

i have done alot of 7900's , they are a good saw stock or modified, the older models I didnot like the switch but they have changed that and if you donot use the decompressure the rewind hub will let go after a year or so of everyday use but why not use the decompressure ,the 7900 has more compression than the other brandsaws in its league.

ehp

here is a 6400 Dolmar cutting 11 inch diameter wood, yes she is a little rich  cause her first run of the season

Jeff

Ed can you make my rancher do that? :D ;)

ehp

Jeff I would think it would be kind of hard cause you have a smaller motor to start with but anything is possible if you want it bad enough, I built a husky 50 this year that is as fast if not faster than that 6400

Thank You Sponsors!