iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grafting calculator

Started by Tom, August 22, 2005, 01:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I just saw a classified ad asking for a Grafting Calculator because the fellow needs one for college.

What in the deuce is a Grafting Calculator?

ronwood

Tom.

There is a number of handheld calculators on the market that will let you enter data and has a screen to show a plot of the entered data. Might be what is is looking for.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

DanG

Maybe he's going into politics. :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Buzz-sawyer

He must be a political science major...cause hes looking for a GRAPHING calc.   :D :D :D :D :D :DJEEEEEZ LEWEEEEZ :D :D :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Gilman

Tom,
They are low end graphing calculators.  You punch the equation into the calculator, enter your number(s) and get your answers.  From there you get a piece of paper and a #2 Ticonderoga and graphite it out.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

submarinesailor

Tom and Gilman,

Some of them actually display  the graph.  The TI 83 comes to mind because we needed three of them, that about $95 a price, one for each daughter in high school/college.

Bruce

Buzz-sawyer

Found this add online "...........the zs 456 enables you to efforlesly calculate the amount to slip a Florida building inspector to PASS your home sawn lumber........fast efficient and accurate"
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

beenthere

Buzz   :D :D :D

My freshman grand daughter has one, and was asking for help on a math homework assignment last spring, that specifically said to NOT use the calculator. She was 'lost' doing some simple ax + b = c problems.  We managed to get over her urge to pick up the calculator, and hopefully she had a better understanding of what the calculator was doing for her. I think hers was the TI 83 as well.

Maybe 'Grafting' is what he meant, like DanG says  ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dan_Shade

hah, i had a TI-81 back in the day

I used to be a real math weenie, I've forgotten most of it, use it or loose it!

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

submarinesailor

Dan - know what you mean.  I have forgotten it all.

Bruce

pigman

Quote from: Tom on August 22, 2005, 01:14:12 PM

What in the deuce is a Grafting Calculator?
That is easy to answer. It is a devise that helps to determine the best location to graft a new tree on to root stock. 8) ::) Well this is the forestry forum. :D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Dan_Shade

there was a guy at work taking a calculus class a few years ago, he was stuck so I told him I'd help him out, heh, good thing another guy had been helping him all along...

I could probably do that, if they came for help every week as they went along it would probably come back, but to jump into the middle, nope....

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Gilman

Pigman,
The first time I read the header, I thought the same thing.  :D :D

I thought, "Hmm I wonder if the first graft is supposed to so many inches up based upon the diameter."  Then I read who posted it.  I knew the thread was up to no good once I found out it was Tom.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

pigman

Quote from: Gilman on August 22, 2005, 11:15:28 PM

Then I read who posted it. I knew the thread was up to no good once I found out it was Tom.
Tom up to no good.  That is impossible. Most of the times I have seen Tom he is sitting down. Very seldom have I seen him up to anything. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

CHARLIE

Yep Pigman, I thought the same thing.  Just punch in the two types of plants and it will tell you where to make the cut to graph them together. :)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!