iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Board feet measuring stick

Started by MGHGrand, August 21, 2005, 01:21:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MGHGrand

I was wandering if ya'll could tell me where to buy a board feet measuring stick. I've seen them at diffferant mills and I was wondering if anyone had a link to where I could purchase one.
Thanks.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forum.
A sponsor, Bailey's has them.  They are listed to the left in the column, towards the bottom.

http://www.baileys-online.com/store/USA.htm

Once there, click on
    Log Lumber Grading Tools
then click
       Lumber Scaling and Grading Supplies

You will see four Conway rules to look at.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Captain

Click on Forestry Forum Sponsor LogRite on the left and email Kevin.  Best I've ever seen.

Captain

beenthere

Captain
Didn't know LogRite had a "Board feet measuring stick"  in their 'catalog' ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Wenrich

Isn't that what a grading stick is?  You put it on a board and it tells you how many feet are in the piece , given the length.  But, its only surface measure, and you have to multiply by the thickness. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

beenthere

Ron
Guess I wasn't clear with my question.  :)  I fixed it.
south central Wisconsin

MGHGrand

Thanks people! That is what I was looking for, and not knowing what to call it! Little more pricey than I expected but it does save time.
Thanks again!

beenthere

Stick around and tell us a bit about what your lumber operation is that you're using the 'stick' for   :)
south central Wisconsin

dewwood

I have seen the prototype of the Logrite lumber grading stick and it is typical of a Logrite tool, very nice.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Jeff

You could make your own using one of our calcs as reference. https://forestryforum.com/calcs/sawlogbf.htm
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Smakman

Around here, you can drop in at a Forest Service office and they will give you one for free.  They aren't the long fancy ones, but you can't beat the price.
Cooks HD3238
Bobcat T320
Kioti 7320
Stihl 550i
Stihl 044

MGHGrand

I do not have a mill, But the stick is for my cousin who just recently bought a 40' Baker sawmill. That machine is nice! He's got a lot of lumber cut and I hoping to find him a stick to tell what each board measured in BF, so measuring the cut boards would be easier than trying to caculate.
I am a woodworker and I have been browsing your site for quite a while now and I have to tell you all that this is a great site and I love all the pics you people post of your lumber and mills. Keep up the good work!

Furby

Sounds like you want to know how many board feet are in a given piece of lumber?
You want a lumber scale for that. ;)

beenthere

""You want a lumber scale for that. ""

I think that too, and was puzzled over the suggestion that LogRite had a prototype lumber scale stick. Maybe they do  ???
south central Wisconsin

Jeff

lumber scale stick measures surface area, not BF.

LogRite has a new international scale, aluminum log rule.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Rockn H

Thank You Sponsors!