iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood eating bugs.

Started by D Martin, August 20, 2005, 04:20:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D Martin

Does you guys with mills at your home take extra precaution for carpenter ants and the like? I got a load of logs from a tree service one verry large pine was infested with ants . This was a year ago and so far no ants in the house. Next time i'll check the logs even if its a free wood. Other than dont take infested trees in what do you do to controll wood eatin bugs with so much wood laying around?

BBTom

I got a pail of Tim-Bor and sprinkle some of it around the entire saw shed every month or two.  I don't know if it does any good, but it leaves my mind at ease.  If the sawdust and dirt get damp enough to support critters, then it should be damp enough to activate the Tim-Bor. 

I got mine on Ebay for a fair price.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

mike_van

I'll take any free wood, I keep a few cans of Bee Bopper wasp & hornet spray, if I saw into an ant farm, they get sprayed.  Works fast, they don't go far after. 
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

sprucebunny

I've wondered, also, if people treat thier sawing areas.

Found this informative website that sells repellants  and killers for almost any pest ;D

http://www.bugspray.com/
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Part_Timer

I take a grass seed spreader and spread DIAZINON  (spelling) on they yard every spring.  Each time I get the logs off of the yard I clean up the dust and spread again under the mill.  I even spread it under the piles of stacked lumber if they are going to be outside for awhile.

not seen many pests unless they are leaving their home fast as I'm cutting it up ;D  Then they get a shower on their way out.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Dan_Shade

bleh

diazinon is no longer available to the general public
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Furby

Tom

It's a PDF but the EPA stopped the sale of Diazinon as of Dec. 31, 2004

http://www.epa.gov/oppfead1/cb/csb_page/publications/diazinon-card2.pdf

It went the way of Dursban, Lindane and chloridane.  I'm surprised that Malathion is still available.

Furby

:-\ Bummer!
That explains how we were able to buy a bag last fall, but I would of stocked up if I had known. ::)

Tom

The replacement is a brand name Triazicide.

Furby

Ironwood

Most chemical co's are still exporting all the real nasty stuff to third world countries. I heard Dursban was going away and timed it just right at Farm and Family, bought all they had , it was $20 a bottle, got it for 2-3 bucks ,can't remember. I think I might have a dozen bottles.

I have lots of wood around, mostly palletized and tarped. My biggest things are species specific bark borers until it is dried. I usually cook the wood in my wood oven before using, sometimes 200 degrees :o It just depends on the product. I like em sterilized!! I keep all the sapwood on which is what borers love, and given enough time they will go deeper.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

D Martin

I got some time tday Im gonna get som stuff an treat my mill area an around my lawn. Those lil buggers are gonna die!

rvrdivr

A friend of mine had five or six stacks of lumber around his yard drying. Within six months, about a dozen or so pine trees were dead in and around his piles due to pine beetles. The forestry guy told him it was because the frest cut wood attracted them to the area.  I made the suggestion that maybe it was the lumber that was infected and brought the bugs there, but the forestry guy didn't agree.

I know the pine beetles are a big problem through out the US. Yellow Stone Nation forest blames the pine beetle for thousands of dead trees and the hieghtened level of forest fires. There is also big trouble in Colorado and Califoria due to them.

Here in Florida and South Georgia, There were a lot of pine trees leveled when we got hit with several hurricanes last year. These dead trees are causing the beetle to really get out of hand.

Tom cuts a lot of pine and maybe can add to this?

Brian

Shamus

These little critters weren't too impressed with the transformation their home overwent at the mercy of the mill. I told 'em to just think of it as a sub-division...

D&L Doublecut Synchro sawmill, Procut chainsaw mill, John Deere crawler loader,  F350 4x4 flatdeck, 20 ton logsplitter, running Stihls

Thank You Sponsors!