iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New mini-skidder, what do you think?

Started by devmar, August 19, 2005, 02:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devmar

Awassos is going to launch soon the new MD60: A 60 hp Mini-Skidder made for low-impact selective logging. The base model is equipped with a remote controlled winch and is less than 7 feet wide. It's going to be similar to the Turboforest's TF-42c (http://www.vannattabros.com/skidder6.html). Awassos is a new company started by the owner of the now defunct TurboForest. The retail price of the MD60 is going to be in the 60 to 80k CAD range depending on options(50 to 65k USD).  Awassos is based in  Roxton Falls, Québec.  If you want the full brochure, send your contact details to devmar@videotron.ca

How do you guys feels about using Mini-Skidders to do selective cuts?

Bro. Noble

I think it's something that's really needed.  We use a FWD farm tractor with a winch on the back and forks on the front and get by pretty well,  but it really isn't made for skidding.  It would be better if it had a roll cage,  more ground clearance,  and belly plates.  I hate to make any alterations because we also use it for farming.  We can't justify the cost of a new skidder so have thought about looking for an old small skidder.  When they first made skidders,  40-50 hp skidders were common.  They just kept making them bigger and bigger,  with bigger and bigger tires.  I guess that's fine if you are clear cutting and handling tree length stuff,  but they just tear up stuff and make a mess if you try select cutting-----from what I've seen.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Woodhog

When I was skidding to do selective cuts I found you could only do a good job if the
logs were cut to length...if you try to skid them out long you do a lot of damage to
the remaining stand....

If you cut  to length then productivity goes way down unless the skidding distance is very short
to the landing...

It was nice to have the winch to pull down hung up trees that you get when you are
doing selective cutting...

It depends a lot on the size of the wood also...

Another disadvantage of the skidder is dirty logs.. some mills dont like them all covered with mud/sand etc...depends on the time of year...if you dont cut to length in the woods your saw is cutting into all that stuff when bucking on the landing...

The skidder is a lovely size for selective thinning and would do a good job with a patient /careful operator..of course it would be serial number 001, would they have lots of parts and good service??

I think this size of skidder would probably do the best job of thinning compared to a forwarding
system that requires large turning circles and wide roads...you can run the cable out and pull
out trees that the forwarder cant think of reaching...as far as getting the thinned wood out
I dont think its the best method...so now you need a forwarder and that little skidder.. :)

Maybe it could be adapted to pull a forestry trailer/loader also???then you would have the best of both worlds...

Ron Scott

I agree with "cut to length" for selective logging. Also need to see the mini forwarder also.
~Ron

David_c

timberjack240

we do selective cuts with skidders and drag tree length. theyre not big . we got a 225 and a 240 . i have to disagree with wood hog a little bit. we recently just cut a state job and only skinned a couple trees that werent marked . i cant remmeber how many but i no it was less ten. all you have to do is watch were you put your skid trails we like to put ours beside the trees that are marked that way the trees that do get skinned up get cut. as for the mini skidder for me--- im sure they wood work good but for me no way im what you call a "jack man"  ;D   8) :D

Craig

Greetings,

Here is an article about a gentlemen who uses a turboforest logging up in Maine.

http://www.meepi.org/lif/bob.htm

They speak about the problem purchasing a machine from an unstable company.

There is a really good book about low impact forestry for anyone interested

http://www.lowimpactforestry.org/

It tells many good ways to do a quality logging job.

There are many good small used skidders out there such as the smaller timberjacks and 440 John deere even older 540 john deere as welll.

But a small skidder in the hands of an unskilled or uncaring operator can do a tremendous amount of damage. I run a large skidder and do a quality job. Some jobs that I have worked on cutting large white pines I couldn't get by with one of those small skidders or large trees of any type.

Planning, skill and a caring attitude is the key to a quality job

Just my 2 cents worth

Craig
Craig Martin
C.S. Martin Forest Contracting
Life, Liberty and Justice For All.
(This includes Americans)

Rod

By buddy who just bought the c5500 went out and bought  1977 JD 350 with a winch and forks on it.There small and can get though the woods without to much damage to the woods.

whitepine

Looking at the same problem myself and have a set of plans for a CADTrac 1500 this is a articulated all hydraulic drive with a loader anyone familiar with it  how do you think it would work in the woods? Plans come from cadplans they sell plans for backhoes loaders etc. There is also builders forums on them but noone I know is using it for wood work. I would like to hear  your opinion on it. It is 4 ft wide 25 hp articulated thats what looks good to me. Cost about 6000 in parts plus alot of welding!

Buzz-sawyer

I am familiar with cadtracks..they are for level flat ground and dont have any near the traction or power to work in thee woods :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

whitepine

THANKS buss sawyer you may have saved me alot of disapointment. I am looking for something less than 4 ft wide or real close any suggestions. Curious as to why that cadtrac would not have the power to pull a skid they are using hydraulic drive on alot of woods equipment now.

Buzz-sawyer

The problem is the scale.

if you were pulling 8-10" "LOGS" then cadtrack would work on flat dry ground. KINDA :o
To pull logs you need equipment that has tractor tires and the horse power rating as well as the heavy and rigid construction..otherwise you could twist up a rig right quick ;)
Hydraulic or mechanical drive you fight in your own weight class :D :D :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

OneWithWood

Craig, that is a good book.  Take it one step further and pick up a copy of Positive Impact Forestry by Thom McEvoy.  I think you would enjoy it.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Minnesota_boy

I think that if you are looking for something that is less than 4 feet wide and capable of pulling a good log over rough terrain without tipping over, you need a good draft horse.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

woodbowl

whitepine,
   I've got the cad plans as well, but for his backhoe. I called him a few years ago and asked the same Q's your asking. He didn't give me a straight answer. Best I remember it would be too slow and the hyd, motors are on each wheel. Maybe you can give him a call and recieve more info.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Craig

Hi OneWithWood,

Thanks for the tip, I will check it out.
Here is another book I like, it is called A Guide to Logging Aesthetics. It tells a lot of little things you can do
to make logging jobs more pleasing to observers and more importantly landowners (customers)
Here is a link:
http://www.umassextension.org/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NS-NR60&Category_Code=FP&Product_Count=7

Take it easy!

Craig
Craig Martin
C.S. Martin Forest Contracting
Life, Liberty and Justice For All.
(This includes Americans)

leweee

Quote from: Minnesota_boy on August 22, 2005, 01:42:46 PM
I think that if you are looking for something that is less than 4 feet wide and capable of pulling a good log over rough terrain without tipping over, you need a good draft horse.

80k ?....Horses ::)....price of fuel :o......Give me the horse ;D

Remember...   if you want to make a million dollars logging... start with 2 millon. :D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

theonlybull

a customer of ours has a turboforest, that he has used for 5-6 years now.  he pulls a long trailer with it, and occasionally skidd's logs off hill's,  or ones that are beyond it's reach...

to date,  the only real complaint he's had,  was the brake bands on the winches.  he's broken them 10-12  times.     he's also been worried about the lack of parts,  but hasn't had any problems.   infact, he just bought a small harvester, and is talking about buyin' a new mini skidder when they get up and running....

it's a fairly nimble machine,  and looks to be well built.  but in certain conditions, or with a bad operator, it can make as big of a mess as the larger machines...
Keith Berry & Son Ltd.
machine work and welding

Scott

I remember looking at one a few years back at a trade show with my dad. One complaint we had was that the stock tires where too narrow and would rut our land up pretty bad. But i guess thats not a big deal as long as you could put wider ones on there.  The double winch was kind of neat. I'd love to have one but I don't know too many woodlot owners who could afford one.

Oregon_Sawyer

I didn't get the link to come up, but a small skidder designed for selective thinning would be great.  As long as is it not a modified farm tractor.

I just sold my  Cat 518 grapple skidder.  I am going to miss it but the cash was more important right now.

I would like to have a skidder with forks on the front.  Yard logs to my mill and move lumber away.

Loren
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

theonlybull

Oregon_Sawyer ,  these are ground up, purpose built machines.   they do have narrower tires then most machine,  but they can be retro fitted,  or when used with caution, don't make too much of a mess.  heck, our skidder run 9.00 truck tires :D
Keith Berry & Son Ltd.
machine work and welding

Awassos

I am proud to say that the new mini-skidder Awassos will be soon avalaible.  The prototype will be on test next week and we can figure that the comercial production will be effective on the end of January.  The web site in french is supose to be effective next week and for the anglish version we can figure in 1 mount.  (for the spanish version, maybe around february).

We also do technical services on old Turboforest and can sell used unite (depending of disponibility, owner loved them so it could be dufficult to have one so, anyway, take a chance   :) )

For further information, fell free to contact me (Simon Denis) or my brother (Benjamin-Pierre Denis) at the Awassos office

Awassos

merci Denis pour le travail.... je le tiens en mémoire

Simon Denis

theonlybull

congrats,  i wish you luck with your venture.    the turbo forrest looked like a great lil' machine.

if you ever need someone for service, or dealership in NS  give me a shout
Keith Berry & Son Ltd.
machine work and welding

Scott

This week in the heavy equipment seller theres a six wheeled turboforest forwarder for sale 28,000. I never knew they made a forwarder. If anyone is interested I can email the guys phone number to you.

Thank You Sponsors!