iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing a Burl

Started by Kedwards, August 18, 2005, 06:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kedwards

I have a LARGE big leaf maple burl that I will be sawing soon and I am curious how others have sawed this beautiful wood. the burl is 5' high and about 6 foot long and has nice blisters all over. It looks like a volkwagon. I intend to slab out between 7/4 to 9/4 thick in pairs for tables and such. Feedback appreciated. I will post photos for all to see..

Thanks
His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like socks in a dryer without cling free

Gilman

Ken,
If you know what you'll be making, I'd cut it to size.  If I don't know what they'll be used for, I'd cut them as thick as I can handle (wish I would have done this more in the past)
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Dan_Shade

how crazy does a burl get when drying?

how hard is it to plane one?

I always heard back in the old days, they used them all for veneer because of their "pain in the donkey" charactaristics in a thick chunk

but then again, conventional wisdom isn't always so wise....
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Larry

So how does a guy on the east coast get a big leaf burl log the size of a Volkswagen from the west coast to saw?  I'mma thinking there might be a story here. ;D  Or maybe all mixed up. :o  And don't let your eyes pop.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ironwood

Larry
   I am with you on this one. Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Frank_Pender

Well, I didn't sell it to him.  I do have some real weid chuncks that would qualify for tables I could send him. ;D
Frank Pender

Gilman

Dan,
They'll move quite a bit on you.  You'll end up with some dishes in them that a duckling would have a fine time swiming in.

I plane mine oversized and then bring them down to thickness with my surface sander.  I wish I had a 7 1/2 hp motor instead of the 5 hp.

Behind my right shoulder is the Grizzly surface sander I use.

WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Kedwards

Here are some photos for the big un..with some commentary.. I will tell the story of how a BIG LEAF got to North Carolina.  :D

I didnt like the cross sectional pieces so I moved the 2400lb burl over and sawed longitudinally

the burl rolled over..

to give perspective the bar is 50" diameter and its 5 feet off the ground!

some 3 feet x 4 feet bookmatched burls slabs at 7/4 and 2 sets at 9/4 HEAVY birdseye and curl

My partner in sawing for the day

the final stack was stickered at 6' feet high

a slab cross sectioned wetted with mineral spirits

and a plaque in my shop..

:)

His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like socks in a dryer without cling free

Fla._Deadheader

Dats Pretty stuff.  I hear that Fred knows about some in Costa Rica.

Roughly, how long does it take to make one pass, sawin that stuff ??
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Kedwards

typically about 1 foot a minute. The kerf is not any worse than a big ol circle mill and cuts nice and clean.. Its been so hot lately that i have to build that cover shed this fall to saw under.

dail_h

Nice tractor 'n loader,right color,right brand ;D
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

rvrdivr

QuoteI will tell the story of how a BIG LEAF got to North Carolina. 
And that was how?  ???

Nice burl guys 8)

Fla._Deadheader

We sawed into a Burl, doin that Exotic stuff, over the weekend.  There was lots of crawley critters about a ½" long scurryin around in there.  ::) ::) :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Kedwards

The tractor is an Allis Chalmers D-17 that my Great grandfather bought new quite a few years ago. I thought about buying a grapple claw for it to move medium sized logs instead of the hay forks but have been too cheap to do so.

Thank You Sponsors!