iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husq 455 Rancher vs. 346XP

Started by GlennCz, August 16, 2005, 10:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlennCz

I'm a private landowner with 60 acres of timber in Penna.  Right now we are logging and I'm cutting some small to medium beech.  Also doing some thinning of poorly formed 12" and helping out with taking cutting up some tops.  I use a Husq 55 and it does the job fine.  But I need another saw because my other spare got killed.  I would like to get the 346XP cause it is 2 lbs. lighterthan the 455(replacement for rancher) at 10lbs.   Does that sound like a good idea, is it just as powerful as the 455?   THanks, GLenn in the Poconos of Penna. - Having a BALL working with my logger everyday!

David_c

Dont know anything about the 455. But i have a 346 and love it.

barbender

The 346 has a lot of power for a small saw, I love mine for felling smaller stuff and limbing.  A lot of times I find myself felling bigger 20-24" stuff  (aspen) with it Instead of my 2171 Jred just because it's so much lighter to carry around.
Too many irons in the fire

GlennCz

thanks guys. I think I'll go for the 346xp, glad to hear that it can do the job for such a light saw.   you guys have "the life", running around the woods cutting down trees all day, glad I can join you for a bit. 

fishhuntcutwood

The 346 is 3.4 hp @ 10.6 lbs, and the 455 is 3.4 hp @ 12.8 lbs.  The 346 is a professional grade saw, and the 455 is a homeowner's saw.  No brainer.  I think you'll be very happy with your decision.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

GlennCz

I got 346XP yesterday and went through a tank of gas last evening.  The saw is light as can be, yet cuts like a wiz! It has RPM's of 14,000 vs 12,000 for the homeowners saw and that makes it much quicker and active.  I think I made the right choice, esp considering the terrible terrain that I have to deal with these tops and downed beech, but the forest is really opening up.  About 25 yrs ago someone did some thinning of beech and TSI work on a few acres of my property and that area is now has some of the largest timber and without doubt is more beautiful because of it. 

sawguy21

I understood the 455 is replacing the Rancher yet the Husky literature calls it a commercial ???. Our distributor only brings the 346xp in on special order so have not had the chance to try one. The 357xp is a screamer though.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SawTroll

What Jeff said. 8)
You no doubt made the right choise! :)
Information collector.

OLD_ JD

i just bougth a 346 xp to replace my 254xp 8)but it's poring raine here >:(i will have to wait to tomoroy to try it ;)...just can wait to see if i made a good by :)
canadien forest ranger

SawTroll

OLD_JD, I am quite sure that you made a good buy!

However, if it will fully replace the 254xp depends on what you are using your saw for, as it is a smaller saw, with less power output.

Huskys replacement for the 254xp in their lineup is the 357xp, I think.
Information collector.

OLD_ JD

sawTroll i have a 257 who it's close to the 254xp...the 357xp was not to replace the 262 ??? however i try the 346xp and i like it pretty much for some small wood and limp 8)
canadien forest ranger

jokers

Quote from: OLD_ JD on September 09, 2005, 01:07:53 PM
...the 357xp was not to replace the 262 ???

naw, the 362xp replaced the 262, it is a real screamer if you can find one.

Russ

SawTroll

Quote from: OLD_ JD on September 09, 2005, 01:07:53 PM
sawTroll i have a 257 who it's close to the 254xp...the 357xp was not to replace the 262 ??? however i try the 346xp and i like it pretty much for some small wood and limp 8)
Just to make this "replacement story" a bit more complete (within the cc range mentioned);
As Russ said, the 362xp replaced the 262xp,
359 replaced 257,
357xp replaced 254xp,
346xp replaced 242xp.
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!